The Floro Bandwagon

madmonte

In both games Canada had CLEAR OPEN opportunities to score. Golden chances that you would lambast your U11 players for missing. Larin missed the first which would have won us the game. Then Ricketts needed a simple pass to Larin to put away Jamaica. At best we would be sitting with 6 points and at worst with 4points had players taken their chances.

Yeah...it's frustrating.  When I watched the American team play the last few games they do not look that impressive as a team really and I'm thinking to myself how they manage to do (relatively) well on the international level and it's pretty simple.  They have goal scorers who will finish when it counts.  Landon and Dempsey and to a lesser extent Altidore, Wondoloski.  Canada doesn't have and never really had consistent reliable goal scorers.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^This. No matter which we slice it for repeated cycles our players have not got it done and I think it could be strongly argued that the talent in our player pool has declined. I have to agree with jonovision that although Floro has frustrated many with his squad selection we can't be under the impression that the inclusion of an Osorio, Teibert, or even Hutch will elevate us to a top 6 team in CONCACAF. 

It would be a lot better than where we are now. Top 8 and QF qualification would be a start with those players added.

Watching back at old videos Josh Simpson was so under rated for us over the years. He could make things happen at top speed and actually took risks. Such a horrible injury and wonder where the program would have been over the last few years if we had him.

Watching back at old videos Josh Simpson was so under rated for us over the years. He could make things happen at top speed and actually took risks. Such a horrible injury and wonder where the program would have been over the last few years if we had him.

Josh was an amazing player. What a shame about that injury. Its nice to hear that he has moved on from soccer and is pursuing university in Europe.

Yeah...it's frustrating. When I watched the American team play the last few games they do not look that impressive as a team really and I'm thinking to myself how they manage to do (relatively) well on the international level and it's pretty simple. They have goal scorers who will finish when it counts. Landon and Dempsey and to a lesser extent Altidore, Wondoloski. Canada doesn't have and never really had consistent reliable goal scorers.

It comes down to confidence. The American's are a confident bunch. Does the staff include a team Psycologist? I'm serious.

Does the staff include a team magician? One would hope!

It comes down to confidence. The American's are a confident bunch. Does the staff include a team Psycologist? I'm serious.

Actually the psychologist question is not a bad one at all. I once taught the wife of the Spanish national psychologist under Aragonés when they won the Eurocup in 2008, he then went on to Girona who have been very successful in Spanish 2nd div. We spoke quite a bit about what he did, really interesting. It can make a difference with any team that is underperforming or chronically does not meet its potential. But also take a team that is on paper weaker to a higher level. 

I think you need  to have quite a bit of time with your core player group for a psychologist to work well. First because any coach does part of the task, you can see that with Floro, it is a question of creating a mentality linked to playing style, and we are getting that. You also see there are positive comments about Benito, and I think they will hold up even if we fall out in the GC, since more WC qualifiers are coming up and players want to be in the mix.

So first the psychology has to be in training, in group dynamic, in learning playing style, in being all in. Then the sports psychologist can be brought in for that extra edge.

Another thing is that the coach has to believe in having a psychologist, regularly or even for occasional tasks. He or she has to be part of the coaching staff. Obviously that does not mean being there every day, but if you have a plan the psychologist helps to create then better, as like anything it is something taught, learnt, trained and applied.

I was sort of hoping that Benito, being competitive and experienced, would be able to get the kind of results from Canada that you see with all those teams who overperform at certain moments in time, who get results above and beyond your on-paper talent. Saying we are not good enough, is, well, not good enough, since plenty of teams in similar situations rise above and prove that what is on paper is wrong.

It seems clear enough to me that if what you are looking for is "overperformance", then quality sports psychology, whether from a pro or developed "amateurly" by a good coach with the smarts, has to be there.

You can only blame the players for so long.  "oh but if they scored that chance we'd be happy", "oh it's the players fault."  When your tactics don't come off or don't work with the players you have, eventually as a manager you have to take the blame.  We've had worse groups of players before but I've never seen a CanMNT side so devoid of inspiration and basic awareness

Close but no cigar.  We are out without scoring a single goal, new record?  Some coaches are very demonstrative on the sidelines but not Floro who looks constipated all the time.  If he is to be let go I also hold responsible who chose him in the first place and I believe that is Montigliani.

Close but no cigar.  We are out without scoring a single goal, new record?  Some coaches are very demonstrative on the sidelines but not Floro who looks constipated all the time.  If he is to be let go I also hold responsible who chose him in the first place and I believe that is Montigliani.

We did the same in the 2007 U20 WC that we hosted, if you recall. It seems to be a very Canadian thing to happen.

I posted this in the game thread, but the Fox guys called out Floro's tactics / selection. Didn't understand how what he was doing was in the team's best interests

The streaming I watched was à Mexican channel I think and one of thé analysts suggested Floro should be fired. Also, for people that think we played well, I think CR created more scoring chances than us. BTW, their coach has no love from the fans as CR is getting too lots of poor results this year. We definitely didn't play against CR version of last WC.

I think we can say that Floro has managed to get us organized defensively. After the 8-1 loss, that's an accomplishment.

Now he has to focus more on organizing the offensive side of the game. Relying on set pieces isn't enough. Starts with having the right personnel on the field.

This is going to get good. Watch us get knocked out of 3rd rd wcq before the olympic qualfiiers.

Does floro jr still coach the u23s?

Wonder what we're paying him.

Is he a chip of the old block? can't be any good.  Talking about nepotism to add to our problems.

I think we can say that Floro has managed to get us organized defensively. After the 8-1 loss, that's an accomplishment.

Now he has to focus more on organizing the offensive side of the game. Relying on set pieces isn't enough. Starts with having the right personnel on the field.

Hes had two years to work on defence and offence.

Its the gold cup and copa america qualifier. We shouldnt have onlly has 50% of the puzzle solved. The time was now.

Is he going to magically solve our sscoring problem before our nxt wcq in september while using 8 defensive players.

The streaming I watched was à Mexican channel I think and one of thé analysts suggested Floro should be fired. Also, for people that think we played well, I think CR created more scoring chances than us. BTW, their coach has no love from the fans as CR is getting too lots of poor results this year. We definitely didn't play against CR version of last WC.

They're missing around 3-4 key WC players from last year and a new coach so yeah. 

Count me off the bandwagon. After watching the last 3 games I think legitimate questions have to be asked if he knows his own players and squad selection. Wasn't overall impressed by the negative approach as well but that is a bit more forgivable than the two former items mentioned.

Archived