The Floro Bandwagon

madmonte

Being eliminated all came down to one play for me. The Larin miss. We allowed one goal in added time against a strong Jamaica side and we were competitive in all 3 matches. It wasn't beautiful and it wasn't very offensive but every match was close. If Larin bagged that goal, we would have gone through and Costa Rica would be out. End of story.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I think if we are using Floro's formation, I'd like to see this for World Cup Qs:

--------------------------Larin---------------------------

De Jong-----Johnson-----Hutchinson----Teibert

--------------------------Edgar---------------------------

Morgan-------Henry--------Jakovic----Ledgerwood

1) Henry has drive, he's aggressive. Essentially we have 3 tall centre D's who can defend and be a threat on set pieces. Edgar is skilled and I think would be better then Straith here.

2) De Jong and Teibert can deliver quality balls into the box. No more Ricketts.

3) Larin/Haber or who ever is playing better, or Akindele.

4) Sub on speed in 60+ instead of central defenders (Hainault?). REB, Jackson.

Costa Rica had a few good chances as well.  Even accepting all that, when your team desperately needs a goal, what the f*ck are you doing subbing on another defender and playing 5 or 6 across the back?  And then not sending anyone forward?  It would be funny if it wasn't so damaging

You forget that, no matter how ridiculous this subb was, it was Hainault who had the golden opportunity just mere single digit yards from the net to put the game away. Had Hainault scored, everyone would be talking about what a genius subb that was.

You forget that, no matter how ridiculous this subb was, it was Hainault who had the golden opportunity just mere single digit yards from the net to put the game away. Had Hainault scored, everyone would be talking about what a genius subb that was.

We were crashing the box. Any player who we subbed on may have had the chance fall to his feet.

Its not like he created that play. Heck I could've crashed the box and have the ball fall to my feet and kick it.

Heck we couldve subbed quinlan roberts on to do the same thing in that position.

We were crashing the box. Any player who we subbed on may have had the chance fall to his feet.

Its not like he created that play. Heck I could've crashed the box and have the ball fall to my feet and kick it.

Heck we couldve subbed quinlan roberts on to do the same thing in that position.

You probably would've scored as well, which is more than any of our offensive players did when given the opportunity.

Yes I understand the logic of wanting a striker on to find a goal, but Akindele, Haber, Larin, were all given a fair shake at our weakest opponent and they all failed, some quite spectacularly.

Since, his offensive players couldn't get the job done, he sent in a big guy who is adept at headers, hoping a Tiebert cross would land on his head. It almost worked too, had we not been a country with no developmental program in place. Face it, Floro is dealing with what has always been our problem - scoring.

Looking at one chance and saying "that could've been the difference" is pointless.  If Larin had scored, the entire game would've changed.  Presumably our approach to the following games would've changed.  Either way, both teams had chances in both the ES and CR games.

If a coach's tactics don't come off - repeatedly (Mauritania anyone?) - it comes down to the coach, especially when he's so inflexible and refuses to try a new approach.  If your team needs goals, you need to throw players forward.  You need to try something new.

The "Real Madrid experience" is not worth shit in CONCACAF in 2015.  Bottom line.  Piette was still a zygote at the time and football has changed immeasurably

Looking at one chance and saying "that could've been the difference" is pointless.  If Larin had scored, the entire game would've changed.  Presumably our approach to the following games would've changed.  Either way, both teams had chances in both the ES and CR games.

THIS

Like most people I was perplexed by some of Floro's lineups and substitutions, he did get a good look at most players in preparation for what really matters, World Cup Qualifying! Providing we advance once we're in the Group Stage and hopefully have near a full squad, then we can really judge Floro! I'm quite disappointed Morgan got 0 minutes and this will not sit well with the player or TFC who had a makeshift back 4 while he sat on the bench for 3 matches!

Like most people I was perplexed by some of Floro's lineups and substitutions, he did get a good look at most players in preparation for what really matters, World Cup Qualifying! Providing we advance once we're in the Group Stage and hopefully have near a full squad, then we can really judge Floro! I'm quite disappointed Morgan got 0 minutes and this will not sit well with the player or TFC who had a makeshift back 4 while he sat on the bench for 3 matches!

Whats with all of this "wcq then we can really judge floro"

The judging has already started. This gold cup was the biggest ever bc of copa qualification and the coach was more concerned about tieing than winning.

The amount of exposure the mens team would have gotten by playing in the copa against brazil and argentina cant be replicated. Copa qulification would have been a lot easier than wcq and added credibility to our program among the fairweather fans. Qulification would have also brought in tons of sponsorship dollars for next summer in a tournament second only to the world cup and on par with the euros.

First major test for Floro and it was a fail. There were some positives this Gold Cup but at the end of the day we are last in the group. There are lots of reasons for why we are last and a lot of those have to do with how the team was managed. Floro will be kept on for wcq (CSA can't fire a guy making 1.5 mil).

We will play wcq the same way as this Gold Cup - solid defense and no goals except for maybe a lucky bounce here and there. There is a miniscule chance we make the hex.

Whats with all of this "wcq then we can really judge floro"

The judging has already started. This gold cup was the biggest ever bc of copa qualification and the coach was more concerned about tieing than winning.

The amount of exposure the mens team would have gotten by playing in the copa against brazil and argentina cant be replicated. Copa qulification would have been a lot easier than wcq and added credibility to our program among the fairweather fans. Qulification would have also brought in tons of sponsorship dollars for next summer in a tournament second only to the world cup and on par with the euros.

Exactly. I don't understand how some people blow off the Gold Cup so easily, not that a lot of you do. I was really hoping to get into the Copa for next year. Might have caused for some action. Hutch, will, henry hopefully are all available for wcq

I like the Gold Cup as much as anyone, I'm not the coach of the team though and am only offering speculation as to how Floro could be viewing this competition, he obviously has intentions of winning matches, sometimes it doesn't work out despite what fans think he should or shouldn't be doing!

I like the Gold Cup as much as anyone, I'm not the coach of the team though and am only offering speculation as to how Floro could be viewing this competition, he obviously has intentions of winning matches, sometimes it doesn't work out despite what fans think he should or shouldn't be doing!

Honestly I think he plays to not concede a goal. As in he plays not to lose and has intentions of not losing. If we get "lucky" and score all the more better. But if we don't concede his job is accomplished.

Still waiting to hear which flamboyant attacking Canadian players we have that are going to appear out of thin air for us to play some free-flowing attacking brand of soccer.

He should 100% damn well be playing not to concede a goal and hope that we can score one.  It baffles me that people can watch last night's match and after all of it go 'oh well he put in Hainault for Osorio clearly he's playing for the 0-0' when the dude had the damn ball 4 feet away from goal with the keeper behind him.

I understand that us playing as North American Greece isn't the most attractive thing, but I will concur with Floro that it is our best chance to win.

If Hainault had scored then obviously it's a good sub.  But he didn't.  Just like El Salvador and Costa Rica (and Ricketts) also didn't bury their chances.  You can back any underperforming coach by pointing to missed chances or deferring to his experience.

I'm more worried that the players are off the bandwagon now.  Osorio did not look happy about the sub, this young lad Roserie is already preferring the US because of Floro's tactics, and his son's coaching of the U-23 team hasn't looked too inspiring either

I think we are set up quite well defensively and Straith looks like he plays very well in front of the back 4, he had a strong match last night with some key blocks, you need to have a good defensive plan and shape to succeed, especially when we are not blessed with an abundance of attacking options at this point! Add in some more experience and creativity from the midfield (Hutch and Johnson) and we should be able to create more chances and hopefully finish them! We didn't have a ton of chances in this tournament but we certainly had enough to win all 3 games with some finishing!

Still waiting to hear which flamboyant attacking Canadian players we have that are going to appear out of thin air for us to play some free-flowing attacking brand of soccer.

He should 100% damn well be playing not to concede a goal and hope that we can score one.  It baffles me that people can watch last night's match and after all of it go 'oh well he put in Hainault for Osorio clearly he's playing for the 0-0' when the dude had the damn ball 4 feet away from goal with the keeper behind him.

I understand that us playing as North American Greece isn't the most attractive thing, but I will concur with Floro that it is our best chance to win.

You keep referring to Hanauilt having the ball 4 feet from goal. Any player could've been in that position by just running to the goal. And regardless Hainault didn't score.  What does that have to do with the fact it was a defensive sub for an offensive player. Hainault hampered the build up play. If Osorio was still on he would've been in the exact same position at Hainault.

If Hainault had scored then obviously it's a good sub.  But he didn't.  Just like El Salvador and Costa Rica (and Ricketts) also didn't bury their chances.  You can back any underperforming coach by pointing to missed chances or deferring to his experience.

I'm more worried that the players are off the bandwagon now.  Osorio did not look happy about the sub, this young lad Roserie is already preferring the US because of Floro's tactics, and his son's coaching of the U-23 team hasn't looked too inspiring either

I must have missed all the glorious chances that El Salvador and Costa Rica had against us.  I remember decent chance for ESV when Kenny punched it out and it would've taken a half volley with three defenders around to score (contrary to our completely goddamn wide open net), and Kenny made one really nice save last night and we had a couple good chances.

Its not really this game, I think 0-0 was a fair score (maybe a biiiit harsh for us but not much).  But as much as I hate Kyle Bekker and stuff, the fact remains that if Floro has a semblance of a competent striker then we're 1-1-1 and playing Trinidad on Saturday and everyone is happy here.  Floro is certainly not perfect but blaming him for this team not scoring a single goal based on what we saw is like blaming John Gibbons for Jose Reyes allowing the umpteenth grounder to go right between his legs.  We have what we have.

e: also just lmao at your second sentence.  Any more baseless speculation you'd like to share?

You keep referring to Hanauilt having the ball 4 feet from goal. Any player could've been in that position by just running to the goal. And regardless Hainault didn't score.  What does that have to do with the fact it was a defensive sub for an offensive player. Hainault hampered the build up play. If Osorio was still on he would've been in the exact same position at Hainault.

Osorio wasn't exactly great either.  Seemed to me the sub everyone was calling for was Akindele for Osorio (which I do agree with).

I think Floro's style will serve us well on the road in Concacaf. That's the good news - we could pick up a lot of points that way.

The bad news is that we could lose a lot of points at home by trying to scrape results out. It's somewhat of a risk. How about a compromise Benito - play your disciplined tought to beat style on the road but make it at least somewhat (if not fully) more attack-minded when we're at home? Not sure what the Spanish word for "flexibility" is, but it is one I think the coach needs to learn in English.

I must have missed all the glorious chances that El Salvador and Costa Rica had against us.  I remember decent chance for ESV when Kenny punched it out and it would've taken a half

Osorio wasn't exactly great either.  Seemed to me the sub everyone was calling for was Akindele for Osorio (which I do agree with).

I was in the stands screaming for De Guzman being taken off & replaced with Akindele

I honestly understand the Hainault for Osorio sub in the timing of the match.  We were pressing but really only getting chances off set pieces so why would we sub in a player that would only be a threat from open play that wasn't there?  Also, if we were to take the lead Hainault would be able to help us bunker for the last little bit.  The chance was there at the end to put it away and if we did Floro would look like a genius.  

We are horrible from open play.. this isn't a surprise.  Our best attacking player was a 34 year old DM who plays in NASL.  I don't think brining on Akindele would have given us anything different that we hadn't seen, instead we tried to get that extra advantage on dead balls and it almost worked.  

Still I would have liked to see us try a "trick" play on a set piece as we have in friendlies instead of just whipping them to the penalty spot.  What's the point of doing them in friendlies if you don't bring them in official matches?

Archived