The Floro Bandwagon

madmonte

Oh, and yes, Trinidad is also a minnow. Costa Rica, mind you, is NOT. (Having said that, they've been pretty flat so far this tournament. Either that, or everyone is rising to their level.)

We ARE a minnow. We need to get our expectations realigned. Having said that, I worry about Floro's ability to take us forward.

(But, what does this team look like if Hutch is out there? And Johnson?)

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just chiming in, when Teibert and Larin subbed on I was thinking, okay great, this looks positive, good on you Floro!  Finally getting it right.  Then I double taked at Hainault with his warm-up kit off standing by the 4th official.  I looked at the board and saw #13.  Noone could believe it, especially not #13.  Osorio didn't play that great a game, but to replace him with a CB when you need a goal? 

Shows me Floro was trying to rely on size in the box and set pieces.  Crowd the box with big bodies.  Not a strategy I particularly like, but I GUESS when you have a team that refused to score from open play, you try to force the issue on set pieces?  Hm.

Not wanting a tough draw next WCQ round, we need another minnow-ish team to keep figuring this out.

We also played Piette and Straith together. That doesn't exactly scream positivity although your point is taken about the front three.

They weren't even really the front three, though. Ricketts and Akindele were well out on the wings, too far too really be thought of as true forwards in the formation. It was Larin all alone up top, a rookie thrown in the deep end.

They weren't even really the front three, though. Ricketts and Akindele were well out on the wings, too far too really be thought of as true forwards in the formation. It was Larin all alone up top, a rookie thrown in the deep end.

there were only two options really for the guy to be the 1 man at the top, Larin and Haber. Personally I think Haber was far better tonight than Larin was aside from the first 45 against El Salvador and you've got to stick them in the fire at some point and see what they can do

there were only two options really for the guy to be the 1 man at the top, Larin and Haber. Personally I think Haber was far better tonight than Larin was aside from the first 45 against El Salvador and you've got to stick them in the fire at some point and see what they can do

I don't see us as having the striking prowess to be playing a lone forward. I'd much rather put both of Larin and Akindele up top and replace Ricketts with another attacking mid.

Most of you guys have way too high of an opinion of our players.

This is bang on.

You can only blame the players for so long.  "oh but if they scored that chance we'd be happy", "oh it's the players fault."  When your tactics don't come off or don't work with the players you have, eventually as a manager you have to take the blame.  We've had worse groups of players before but I've never seen a CanMNT side so devoid of inspiration and basic awareness

Let's look at this, rationally. Floro's tactics have us giving up 1 goal in 3 games, and trailing Jamaica for 2 minutes.

Larin misses open net. Haber misses header from 8 yards out- El Salvador

Ricketts misses easy pass to Larin who has open net. - Jamaica

Haber misses breakaway vs keeper from 8 yards out. / Hainault misses from 8 yards out / Goal called back for offside ON A FREE KICK. - Costa Rica

What more do you want from a coach who has players for 2 weeks before a major tournament. A National team coach does not develop technical abilities. These players at this age and stage in career should be hitting those targets. Floro cannot do anything about lack of skill,  it's not what he does. He can only develop a tactical plan. Which personally, I hated it, but defensively I must admit worked.  It WAS up to the players to score NOT on half- chances but on legitimate GOLDEN, sitting on a platter, opportunities.

I don't know how many Ulcers I can take.

It's a tough situation but in the situation we're in, I prefer a 4-1-4-1 to a 4-4-2. I think Larin was really thrown off by his miss. Haber showed tonight how it can work properly even with Ricketts playing poorly on his right. If someone like Petrasso develops as we all hope, he'd be the perfect person in the current formation to take Ricketts' spot.

edit to add a comment on for the post above me: hear hear Reme90

This is bang on.

Let's look at this, rationally. Floro's tactics have us giving up 1 goal in 3 games, and trailing Jamaica for 2 minutes.

Haber misses breakaway vs keeper from 8 yards out. / Hainault misses from 8 yards out / Goal called back for offside ON A FREE KICK. - Costa Rica

What more do you want from a coach who has players for 2 weeks before a major tournament. A National team coach does not develop technical abilities. These players at this age and stage in career should be hitting those targets. Floro cannot do anything about lack of skill,  it's not what he does. He can only develop a tactical plan. Which personally, I hated it, but defensively I must admit worked.  It WAS up to the players to score NOT on half- chances but on legitimate GOLDEN, sitting on a platter, opportunities.

Costa Rica had a few good chances as well.  Even accepting all that, when your team desperately needs a goal, what the f*ck are you doing subbing on another defender and playing 5 or 6 across the back?  And then not sending anyone forward?  It would be funny if it wasn't so damaging

Costa Rica had a few good chances as well. Even accepting all that, when your team desperately needs a goal, what the f*ck are you doing subbing on another defender and playing 5 or 6 across the back? And then not sending anyone forward? It would be funny if it wasn't so damaging

This

This is bang on.

This kinda sums up my feelings.  On one hand, I thought Floro played cowardly, with 8 or 9 defensive guys.  No complaints about our defensive record, however.  we gave up 1 goal in three matches and should have gone through.  On the other hand, we don't have the offensive talent to cash in on the few opportunities we get.  That said, a break here or there and we are through.

Overall, very disappointed.  We should have gone through.  Costa Rica are struggling, El Salvador are very beatable and the English guys of Jamaican descent were also beatable (but probably the most impressive). 

Maintaining his record?  Some of the Floro critique is just goofy.  He may not fit perfectly everywhere, but he's definitely among the best shirts in our wardrobe.  Our players just aren't good enough, although they did well last night.

Maintaining his record?  Some of the Floro critique is just goofy.  He may not fit perfectly everywhere, but he's definitely among the best shirts in our wardrobe.  Our players just aren't good enough, although they did well last night.

Wasn't critiquing.  It's an observation.  

Player selections and tactics aren't good enough either.

Our players are no worse than some other "minnows" in the region getting results.

Our coach has no faith in our players and every positive change he makes, he negates it with a negative defensive change to god forbid be exposed at the back with 20 minutes left in a must win game where we have scored 0 goals in the tournament.

And who were midfielders again that first game?? We had an offense being serviced by defensive midfielders. Floro got it half right. If we had all 3 with Tiebert and Osorio distributing, maybe we would've gmhad more chances to get te ball in the net.

True. I also was expecting Teibert and Osorio as the mids against El Salvador and was disappointed that they weren't starting.

Maybe our players aren't good enough... But he certainly didn't give us every chance to win as he never started the strongest lineup we could potentially have had in this gold cup

Here's the crux of the issue. We don't have a proven striker at the moment. Nothing is going to change that. Most other teams have solid domestic level strikers and that gives them confidence. Yet, but for a few bad misses from our strikers, we wouldn't even have this topic board. The team played pretty well. We are making floro our whipping boy because of the Salvador game an the starting of Bekker.

^  Yeah, I kind of agree.  I am feeling more optimistic after yesterday's game.  I think the heat vs. Jamaica made our team seem terrible.  That, and a lack of finishing ability by our forwards, kill us.  But, it seems like we are making progress.  Larin needs another year or two to be a legitimate threat on the international stage vs. non-minnows.  Akindele will likely improve too.  Add in a few more threats (maybe Petrasso, or Hamilton, or Cavallini, or heaven forbid Jr. H) and we actaully have the makings of a reasonable side.  Throw in Will Johnson, Henry, and Borjan ... and hopefully Hutch keeps playing at a high level for a couple more years.  Things are starting to look up.

A few miscellaneous thoughts from yesterday:

1.  Tissot looked very good, especially in the first half.  He is a different kind of player, in a way like RT.

2.  Osorio didn't have a good game, but you can see the energy and fire is there.  Bright future.  I want players who are pissed to be getting subbed out!

3.  Jako looked really good.  Best player for us this tourney, in my opinion.

4.  JDG played his heart out.  Obviously, he's not the player he once was, but I appreciate everything he has done for the program, ESPECIALLY in the last 2 years when he could easily have just said "Screw it, I'm done".

5.  Straith looked good too.  He's got to be better than Norwegian 2nd division, right?

6.  Larin looked out of it.  Played poor defensively, and didn't do anything going forward.  I think it was a learning experience, plus he was playing out of position.

7.  Haber is a smart player who knows what he brings to the table, and maximizes his somewhat limited abilties.

8.  Ricketts CANNOT start for us.  Please God he can't.  He just can't.  In fact, I don't think he should even be on the bench.  I LOVE his desire to represent Canada, but he is just not good enough in my opinion.  He really doesn't understand soccer it seems ... passes when he shouldn't, shoots with wide open teammates in dangerous positions, has poor ball control ....

Lots of positives to take away from yesterday's game!

Here's the crux of the issue. We don't have a proven striker at the moment. Nothing is going to change that. Most other teams have solid domestic level strikers and that gives them confidence. Yet, but for a few bad misses from our strikers, we wouldn't even have this topic board. The team played pretty well. We are making floro our whipping boy because of the Salvador game an the starting of Bekker.

You can't say that " if we finished our chances". Thats the game of soccer. The ohter teams had numerous chances as well and could've finsihed them as well and we couldd've had 0 points.

Floro isn't the whipping boy because of starting Bekker. He's the whipping boy bc he constantly starts Ricketts. Doesn't give Jackson a chance. Never sarts teibert, never has teiber and osorio on together, players with 5 defenders when we need a goal, subs hainault for osorio, keeps JDG on when he is clearly gasses, says "we need luck to beat these teams who are better than us," has no intensity or emotion on the sidelines, seems to be losing his warm welcome with some of the players, etc etc etc

I constantly see people asking for Jackson to start, why? He doesnt play much at the club level and has been a big time flop since making the EPL. No one on this board ever asks for tissot to start, when he should, he usually plays very well and connects positively with the forwards and other midfielders. You people always ask to see Jackson and Osorio starting but one is a has bin and the other isnt the same player when not surrounded by Bradley, Giovinco and Cheyrou. Straith was also very strong in the games yet everyone still cant see that, probably because he doesnt play for TFC.

Archived