Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

One would think with money being paid and them going through the process of appealing for a work permit, West Ham see Henry as a player of solid potential value. Great news for the young man. I have always thought quite highly of him, aside from his ball distribution which he really needs to work on.

Also, TFC may not get big money for him, but what they do get is the street cred of having a player come out of their academy who was signed, got an opportunity with first team minutes, and was sold on to a big club in the English premiership. That is invaluable in their attempts to sell TFC to top youngsters to come into their academy, and once there, to stick with TFC and sign with the first team bc they have shown they can and will sell you to a big European club. I know it's only one player but the journey of a thousand miles and all that. It may sound a bit early to make such claims but that's the angle they are probably going to try to sell anyway.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any particular information we don't know about that backs this assumption up? TFC have publically stated they want him on loan.

Just speculating here, but perhaps TFC was aware of the intention for Henry to join West Ham this Janurary at the time they stated their own intent to bring him back for 2015?

Do you have any particular information we don't know about that backs this assumption up? TFC have publically stated they want him on loan.

Just speculating here, but perhaps TFC was aware of the intention for Henry to join West Ham this Janurary at the time they stated their own intent to bring him back for 2015?

It'S possible. Though I wonder if he goes back to the TFC that he would need to re-apply for a work permit. I could be wrong on that though.

Delighted by the move, but I almost feel like the signing is a bit of a missed opportunity to help build recognition for club/country/player. There are a lot of similarities with the Yedlin signing, yet while he's gotten months of international recognition, nobody outside of Canada/mls has heard of Henry.

I think the Yedlin recognition is the bi-product of the MLS hype machine. You can see the effort they put into promoting their own.

Yedlin was the cover story in today's kick off article, while the Henry news was way down the list at like 9 or 10. The reality though is that Henry is the same age as Yedlin, with more MLS appearnces, more CCL appearnces, more domestic cup appearnces and more senior and youth international caps (although Yedlin appeared in the World Cup). He is also moving to a team that is higher up in the EPL table at the moment.

So, an argument can be made that Henry's move is just as big or bigger than Yedlin's. Am I the only one who sees a discrepancy here?

I am sure a yank would argue that Yedlin was a 2 time MLS all-star, but that selection was driven by fan voting, and fan opinion is influenced in part by hype from the MLS website. By the way, I saw Yedlin play live, and really like him as a player, and wish we had a right back like that in our pool, but comparing the stats of both players, you'd think Henry's transfer would be as big a deal as Yedlin's was.

I think the Yedlin recognition is the bi-product of the MLS hype machine. You can see the effort they put into promoting their own.

Yedlin was the cover story in today's kick off article, while the Henry news was way down the list at like 9 or 10. The reality though is that Henry is the same age as Yedlin, with more MLS appearnces, more CCL appearnces, more domestic cup appearnces and more senior and youth international caps (although Yedlin appeared in the World Cup). He is also moving to a team that is higher up in the EPL table at the moment.

So, an argument can be made that Henry's move is just as big or bigger than Yedlin's. Am I the only one who sees a discrepancy here?

I am sure a yank would argue that Yedlin was a 2 time MLS all-star, but that selection was driven by fan voting, and fan opinion is influenced in part by hype from the MLS website. By the way, I saw Yedlin play live, and really like him as a player, and wish we had a right back like that in our pool, but comparing the stats of both players, you'd think Henry's transfer would be as big a deal as Yedlin's was.

playing in World Cup helps a guy's resume... and way higher FIFA ranked country

That top 70 world ranking rule and 75% matches that people are touting as a sure fire fact that he wouldn't be eligible need to understand that the rule is grey.

How did Geoff Cameron and Brad Guzan get work permits?

Juan Agudelo only has 3 caps for the USMNT in the past 3 years... he's pretty much a prospect not a MNT regular.

That top 70 world ranking rule and 75% matches that people are touting as a sure fire fact that he wouldn't be eligible need to understand that the rule is grey.

How did Geoff Cameron and Brad Guzan get work permits?

Juan Agudelo only has 3 caps for the USMNT in the past 3 years... he's pretty much a prospect not a MNT regular.

UK work permit committee or whatever you call it seems to change their work permit criteria. for a while, it was easy for Yanks to get work permits. hence why guys like Robbie Findley, Eddie Johnson etc got work permits (and in a lot of cases, for Championship teams) despite not being anything special. they tightened up work permit rules recent years, part of it due to backlash from English FA to protect English players.

as for Agudelo, if Klinsy wanted to help him play in Europe, he should have called up Agudelo more often. Stoke tried to build Agudelo's case by loan him to an Eredivisie club, but apparently that was not enough to warrant exceptional talent status for Agudelo.

as for Henry, any Hammers supporter like myself is a bit leery at prospect of dealing with Kia Joorabchian, no matter how beneficial it might be. (if the rumours are true)

I am very excited about this move. Looking forward to another Canadian showing up in east london.

I don't expect him to start right away in the premiership. But with all the fixtures coming up and James Tomkins going off with a hamstring injury last week, depending on fitness, the fa cup match against Everton could be a possibility.

as for Henry, any Hammers supporter like myself is a bit leery at prospect of dealing with Kia Joorabchian, no matter how beneficial it might be. (if the rumours are true)

I have never heard anyone around upton park say they are leery of Joorabchian. The only agent that west ham supporters are leery of is Mark Curtis. And don't be surprised if Curtis becomes Henry's agent if he is able to make it at West Ham.

It has nothing to do with the MLS hype machine.

Yedlin played at the World Cup and was highly praised on the BBC coverage during the games that he played. A lot of the post match talk was about his energy etc when Lineker and his teams discussed the USA matches. That's what getting him the international recognition.

Most football fans around the world know Yedlin because he has performed (well) on the biggest stage while almost no-one outside North America has seen Henry play.

It has nothing to do with the MLS hype machine.

Yedlin played at the World Cup and was highly praised on the BBC coverage during the games that he played. A lot of the post match talk was about his energy etc when Lineker and his teams discussed the USA matches. That's what getting him the international recognition.

Most football fans around the world know Yedlin because he has performed (well) on the biggest stage while almost no-one outside North America has seen Henry play.

Interesting perspective.

The way I have seen things unfold, Yedlin was being highly praised long before the World Cup even begun (at least on this side of the pond). His performance at the World Cup had little influence on his All star-game selection in 2014, and zero bearing on his 2013 selection obviously. Instead, those selections were driven by fan voting, which in turn was influenced by MLS hype. Without the spotlight of those two All-star games (and not the games themselves, but rather the recognition that comes with selection), I don't know if Yedlin breaks into the USMNT set up, to be honest. 

In particular, that 2013 All-star game selection was eyebrow raising. Was he really an MLS All-star that season? Hard to believe.

Not saying he is not a good player, but as an attack minded American home grown player, on the leagues most popular team, his perception was always rosy as far as MLS articles go.   

So - if Yedlin is as good as MLS has been hyping him up to be, he'll be a hit at Spurs and become a regular and keep Kyle Walker out of the squad. Let's see what happens!

With the exception of a few select players - Freidel, Howard, Guzan, McBride and Dempsey (mostly keepers) I beleive the USA doesn't really produce top tier players. They have a great track record of producing great athletes that play a very direct style with little technical ability. The porpaganda the USA produces in the media seems to get the attention of some clubs (like Fulham and now Stoke) and they sign players like Shea, Adu, Edu etc. who not only don't seem to pan out but can't even seem to hang on in lower leagues in Europe.

Even Canadian guys like Ricketts, Jackson or Ledgerwood seem to get on with 2nd or 3rd tier clubs and get regular playing time.

With the exception of a few select players - Freidel, Howard, Guzan, McBride and Dempsey (mostly keepers) I beleive the USA doesn't really produce top tier players. They have a great track record of producing great athletes that play a very direct style with little technical ability. The porpaganda the USA produces in the media seems to get the attention of some clubs (like Fulham and now Stoke) and they sign players like Shea, Adu, Edu etc. who not only don't seem to pan out but can't even seem to hang on in lower leagues in Europe.

Even Canadian guys like Ricketts, Jackson or Ledgerwood seem to get on with 2nd or 3rd tier clubs and get regular playing time.

Edu had a solid run at Rangers, I wouldn't call him a bust. Cameron was part of the Stoke U.S. signings, and has done well for them. At Championship level, the U.S. has a lot of players: Jonathan Spector, Emmerson Hyndman, Danny Williams, Eric Lichaj and Zak Whitbread are the ones that come to mind. They also have players starting in the top leagues in Germany, Netherlands and France. I'm sure they could be doing better but they have much more representation than us.

Uh, Friedel, Guzan, McBride, nor Dempsey are "top tier" players either. Seems you have thrown that title around as frivolously as those who throw around Golazo or World Class. 

How many EPL teams does Guzan even see the pitch for? ....possibly just the 1 team he is on....?

Archived