Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, his work permit has been approved, which begs the question why Juan Agudelo was not granted a work permit. 

Juan Agudelo was not a regular starter for his national team having only 3 appearances in the last three years. this is a big difference that I see. I have heard people saying that this does not matter because Canada is ranked so low, but he seems to have made the cut. I assume the British visa office is almost as transparent as MLS roster and allocation rules.

I'd really love someone to explain this "transfer" to the team in Cyprus and the subsequent "loan" back to TFC.  This is the funniest piece of business in a league full of funny business.

But all things said, this is great for Henry and great for the future of our CMNT.

Juan Agudelo was not a regular starter for his national team having only 3 appearances in the last three years. this is a big difference that I see. I have heard people saying that this does not matter because Canada is ranked so low, but he seems to have made the cut. I assume the British visa office is almost as transparent as MLS roster and allocation rules.

Henry was never going to get a work permit because of how low Canada's ranking is. He got in because he has a Cypriot passport.

I'd really love someone to explain this "transfer" to the team in Cyprus and the subsequent "loan" back to TFC.  This is the funniest piece of business in a league full of funny business.

But all things said, this is great for Henry and great for the future of our CMNT.

Henry was sold to Apollon, became a registered employee of that country, bought some land, and per their citizenship rules was granted an EU passport.

Actually, his work permit has been approved, which begs the question why Juan Agudelo was not granted a work permit. 

Because Agudelo has no EU passport and hasn't been a regular for the US in a long time.

Henry was never going to get a work permit because of how low Canada's ranking is. He got in because he has a Cypriot passport.

I don't think that Henry has a Cypriot passport. Henry would have gotten one soon enough and they could have granted him a work permit before he gets a Cypriot passport. Because if Henry had a Cypriot passport, he wouldn't need a work permit.

If Henry had a Cypriot passport he would not have to get a visa approval to work in UK. He obviously did not use this loophole but was able to get a visa with his perceived skill.

I think when they saw "work permit" they just mean he went, showed them his passport and they approved him.

No, Henry would be automatically given a work permit if he had an EU passport. Which he does not have because he has never lived in Cyprus. 

This hearing was so that the club could present an argument that Henry is deserving of a work permit.

I think when they saw "work permit" they just mean he went, showed them his passport and they approved him.

You don't need to apply for a work permit in that case. The 75%/top 70 is just a guideline for those who would get an automatic work permit. Henry was one of the exceptions. I'm sure that the fact that an English club payed money to bring a player to a foreign club had some part to do with it.

No I highly doubt he got a passport. To get a passport from Cyprus you need to have a home worth at least €500,000 plus have made an investment of €5 Million to get a passport. Henry has not made €500,000 in his career let alone €5 Million. The transfer was only €1.5 Million, which is not even close to the large number they need for a passport. West Ham were looking for less expensive youth and found Henry and would not be willing to spend large amounts for his passport.

Here is a link to the rules: http://www.kyrlaw.com.cy/Portals/0/Decision%20of%20the%20Council%20of%20Ministers%20.pdf

Barthez-Battalion, where has it ever been mentioned that Henry actually has a Cypriot passport? I think you need to quote a source or else your argument will be refuted as flat out incorrect.

I don't have one. I'm speculating that is how he got in. Why would England make an exception for him? I've asked a few people on Twitter who know more than me and they all say Cyprus is how he got in. Why would he move there then in the first place? We won't know how exactly he got in until we learn all the details.

I don't have one. I'm speculating that is how he got in. Why would England make an exception for him? I've asked a few people on Twitter who know more than me and they all say Cyprus is how he got in. Why would he move there then in the first place? We won't know how exactly he got in until we learn all the details.

But when you made your statements above, you are stating them as if they are fact and not speculation. I'm not trying to hack on you (as this is a problem on the forum that is pretty widespread) but it would be better to be clear as to what is speculation and what is fact.

To that end, no one has posted a link or source saying what the details are. If anyone has something more definitive it would be appreciated as right now all that is happening is a lot of wheel spinning.

It will be interesting to see exactly what West Ham's plans are for Henry. Let's hope that he gets a ton out of this esp first team minutes either at West Ham or on loan.

But when you made your statements above, you are stating them as if they are fact and not speculation. I'm not trying to hack on you (as this is a problem on the forum that is pretty widespread) but it would be better to be clear as to what is speculation and what is fact.

To that end, no one has posted a link or source saying what the details are. If anyone has something more definitive it would be appreciated as right now all that is happening is a lot of wheel spinning.

It will be interesting to see exactly what West Ham's plans are for Henry. Let's hope that he gets a ton out of this esp first team minutes either at West Ham or on loan.

That's on me. I've should have worded those posts better.

Definitely happy for him.  I'm curious to see for how long his deal is.  I'm guessing he'll be going the loan route. 

^ We'll see how long his contract is for. My guess three-four years. It seems likely that he may be loaned out this season, but once the season ends and Reid (out of contract) is no longer with West Ham, a spot on the back line opens up. That's when things will get interesting. Either way, he's going to have to work his butt off and play to his strengths, and showing in training that he's capable of doing whatever else is being asked of him. I think being in this environment will help sharpen his toolset more.

TFC has repeatedly stated they wish for a 2015 Henry loan. I wonder if that is still on the table? Mabye Henry gets into a handful of EPL games this winter/spring, heads back to Toronto for a short summer loan, and then heads back to London for preseason, already in game shape.

TFC has repeatedly stated they wish for a 2015 Henry loan. I wonder if that is still on the table? Mabye Henry gets into a handful of EPL games this winter/spring, heads back to Toronto for a short summer loan, and then heads back to London for preseason, already in game shape.

I doubt that. I think that if he goes on loan, it will be in England.

Archived