Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this TFC news (every year, month, week, day) would be f**king hilarious ... that is, if they weren't a Canadian team whose success at developing players would help the national team.

Apparently, the MNT would be better off if TFC hated Canada.

Maybe this is a Nelsen vs Bezbachenko thing... Henry was never in Nelsen's starting XI and he preferred Hack-lund. I can see Nelsen selling Henry and someone at TFC telling them that the fans would be upset if they knew Henry was sold. Could also explain why the media had such a hate-on for this guy - it probably started from the club.

I always thought it was funny how Henry could make the starting XI CMNT team but couldn't make a losing TFC starting XI. What a joke.

I wish Doneil all the best. He has answered the call for his country and shows a passion for his city, their fans and has played some really good football. Everyone makes mistakes (see de Guzman, Occean, Hainault, Edgar etc..) but Henry deserves better - I hope he plays well in Europe and when a team like TFC wants him back in a few years, they  will have to pay a hefty price to do so - just to show their stupidity of putting players like Hack-lund in front of him!

Maybe this is a Nelsen vs Bezbachenko thing... Henry was never in Nelsen's starting XI and he preferred Hack-lund. I can see Nelsen selling Henry and someone at TFC telling them that the fans would be upset if they knew Henry was sold. Could also explain why the media had such a hate-on for this guy - it probably started from the club.

I always thought it was funny how Henry could make the starting XI CMNT team but couldn't make a losing TFC starting XI. What a joke.

I wish Doneil all the best. He has answered the call for his country and shows a passion for his city, their fans and has played some really good football. Everyone makes mistakes (see de Guzman, Occean, Hainault, Edgar etc..) but Henry deserves better - I hope he plays well in Europe and when a team like TFC wants him back in a few years, they  will have to pay a hefty price to do so - just to show their stupidity of putting players like Hack-lund in front of him!

Most of the season Henry was the starter. Hagglund started when Henry was injured or on red card suspension. It was only at the end of the season when Vanney decided to start Hagglund over Henry.

well, I hope Henry's Euro adventure turns out better than Gale Agbossoumonde's. (if Joorachian rumour is true) Because putting your trust in 3rd party agency is always dangerous, and you no longer control your own career. Plus isn't UEFA cracking down on 3rd party ownership, along with a lot of Euro leagues?

And then of course, there's the spin from TFC :rolleyes:

Doneil Henry was on the verge of fulfilling a lifelong dream.

A trial with English Premier League club West Ham went well last summer. The 21-year-old from Brampton was a few formalities away from playing professional soccer in Europe.

An offer from the Hammers didn’t come, but Henry didn’t relent. His hard work eventually paid off.

Shortly after Henry’s trial, Toronto FC was approached by a club from Cyprus. The club sat down with Henry and his agent, Courtney James, to discuss a potential deal. Henry opted to pursue his dream, and TFC agreed it was the best course of action.

“I think this is a win-win for the player and club,” said General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko.

Henry stayed with TFC on loan from the currently unnamed Cypriot club in 2014 and could do the same in 2015, depending on individual talks between Toronto management and the player.

Those talks are expected to occur next week, with a decision coming soon after

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/10/training-notes-update-doneil-henry

Overall I'm not psyched about this move. Henry apparently isn't even leaving TFC in 2015. Cyprus isn't a better league than MLS, and I don't like the fact third party ownership is involved.

What's with the 3rd party ownership? Is that confirmed? If so who's confirmed it and ownership by whom?

@pullen: it's an interesting theory, as that's what's stoping him from getting into England or a more major European league. But how is going to Cyprus a back-door to an EU passport? does it have lax citizenship requirements? Or a "fast track" route to citizenship if you "invest" your money their... I know several countries (e.g. Portugal) will have differential requirements/timelines for getting citizenship if you put up a certain amount of money/have a certain amount of assets in the country. Does Cyprus have anything like this that would potentially allow him to get a passport within a couple of years?

I honestly have no idea how anyone could carry on supporting this team. 

This isn't that much different than what happened with Davide Chiumiento and Vancouver, where his agent set up the deal and the Whitecaps were the last to know. This whole way of doing business is pretty common in Europe in any case, so the 'purists' should be happy.

What's with the 3rd party ownership? Is that confirmed? If so who's confirmed it and ownership by whom?

@pullen: it's an interesting theory, as that's what's stoping him from getting into England or a more major European league. But how is going to Cyprus a back-door to an EU passport? does it have lax citizenship requirements? Or a "fast track" route to citizenship if you "invest" your money their... I know several countries (e.g. Portugal) will have differential requirements/timelines for getting citizenship if you put up a certain amount of money/have a certain amount of assets in the country. Does Cyprus have anything like this that would potentially allow him to get a passport within a couple of years?

Considering they recently (few years back) went through a terrible financial crisis, maybe some extra money on the table can get you a passport quicker. Just saying. I wouldn't know though.

Considering they recently (few years back) went through a terrible financial crisis, maybe some extra money on the table can get you a passport quicker. Just saying. I wouldn't know though.

No. It has been reported that you can buy property in Cyrpus and they will give you a passport. Juan Agudelo has been apparently trying to do that to get into England.

I remember that Agudelo was trying to get a Cypriot Passport to play in England, because they wouldn't give him a work permit. Although, you need to spend 5M euros there to get it or maybe 2.5M if you buy 2M in Cypriot bonds and .5M in Cypriot Research. I highly doubt that Doneil has that kind of dough.

Archived