Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Investment of 5M Euros for individuals and 12.5M for group investment (min. 2M per investor within the group). Perhaps the 3rd party ownership is an attempt to bulk buy EU citizenship for multiple players?

http://m.bbc.com/news/business-27674135

Didn't TFC pay Trofense $2M for Jordan Hamilton to play in Portugal as part of the loan agreement? I remember that being odd.

3rd party owner buys prospect players on the cheep. Waits until their transfer value is above 2m Euro (say 4m Euro at least), then sells the player on, cashing 2-3m Euros of the transfer fee in for a Cyprus passport along the way, moving 4-6 players at a time. 

So say they go out, scoured the globe for prospects that may in the near future command a +4m Euro transfer fee, but who's market value in these top EURO markets is being dragged down by not having an EU passport/not easily qualifying for a work permit. Perhaps they then acquire the rights to a few dozen players like Henry, and every year try to move 4-6 of them into Europe in a coordinated  fashion, in order to take advantage of Cyprus' buy a passport law.

3rd party owner keeps the remainder of the fee. TFC or the players current club gets a percent of future sales. Player goes to Europe as a domestic. Everyone wins.

Interesting concept.

3rd party owner buys prospect players on the cheep. Waits until their transfer value is above 2m Euro (say 4m Euro at least), then sells the player on, cashing 2-3m Euros of the transfer fee in for a Cyprus passport along the way, moving 4-6 players at a time. 

So say they go out, scoured the globe for prospects that may in the near future command a +4m Euro transfer fee, but who's market value in these top EURO markets is being dragged down by not having an EU passport/not easily qualifying for a work permit. Perhaps they then acquire the rights to a few dozen players like Henry, and every year try to move 4-6 of them into Europe in a coordinated  fashion, in order to take advantage of Cyprus' buy a passport law.

3rd party owner keeps the remainder of the fee. TFC or the players current club gets a percent of future sales. Player goes to Europe as a domestic. Everyone wins.

Interesting concept.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29408505

Read this on why 3rd party ownership is bad for clubs

Really?!?! Pay to loan... you're right, that would be odd. do you have a link that confirms this?

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/8/1/5959017/jordan-hamilton-cd-trofense-loan-deal-two-million-dollars-toronto-fc-partnership

I'm second guessing myself now as to where I read it, but this waking the red article has details to prove me otherwise. Sorry.

Every nation within Europe has it's own rules regarding imports. Some are very strict (England), others not so (Cypres, Belgium). Even if they are strict, there are still ways to get in, but you'd need a bigger salary (Netherlands) or prove that you're an exceptional talent (England). 

If you have a passport for any EU-country, these rules wouldn't apply, cause then you'd be regarded as a local (Native) player of the EU. So it does make things easier, but isn't necessary. Daniel Haber is playing in Cypres as we all know.

Btw, Latvia also has a scheme like that, it costs considerably less than in Cypress (250.000 euros). But it will get you a residency, not a citizenship.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/8/1/5959017/jordan-hamilton-cd-trofense-loan-deal-two-million-dollars-toronto-fc-partnership

I'm second guessing myself now as to where I read it, but this waking the red article has details to prove me otherwise. Sorry.

I'm glad you linked this, because I was thinking that if I am paying a club 2 million to have Hamilton see the pitch, and he's primarily stapled to the bench, I would be pissed.

Also nice to have a fellow Canadian there with Daniel Haber after his loan finishes.  Do they have the same agent or did Haber recommend Henry?  Seems too big a coincidence that there are two Canadians and no other players from our region the squad.

One of the best places he could have landed outside of APOEL. Few other internationals in the squad (Cameroon, Romania, Ivory Coast, Morocco among others..) I am actually looking forward to him fighting for a starting spot there and prefer this over seeing him at TFC again next year.

• 1 month later...

His Euro climb commences. He'll be 22 next spring so just as a lot of players would be graduating NCAA and starting a pro career his seems well under way. Knock'em dead Henry. Here's hoping he ends up in one of the big leagues over there shortly.

Congratulations to him for all his hard work paying off.

I like this move, gets him away from the shit show at TFC - especially after losing his spot to Nick Pylon Hagglund for some weird reason. Would have been better if he was going to a stronger league, but it's a start and it's a decent sized club too. Getting an EU passport will be HUGE for his career.

As for TFC i'd like to see Henry replaced with an experience CB to partner with Caldwell. Hagglund isn't a starter (if i hadn't already made that clear).

Like jpg75, I am also excited to see Henry play in Cyprus, and glad he is no longer with TFC. Up until now, he's gotten some solid MLS experience, a taste of CONCACAF Champions League, and a handful of international caps to his name. At 21 years old, this is a great time for him to start building a reputation in Europe. 

I don't mind at all that he is playing in Cyprus. He is with one of the strongest clubs and his game still needs work. In a few years, at 23/24 years of age, he could be poised to move on to a much stronger league (and apparently with an EU passport?). 

I find it hilarious when people rip on Doneil Henry.  The guy is probably the best young center back Canada has ever produced....

Do you know who Randy Samuel is? I would assume you must have heard of Jason Devos to name but one other obvious candidate. There was soccer in Canada long before TFC arrived on the scene. Good luck to Doneil Henry in Cyprus, I hope it works out for him, but if he was as hot a prospect as you are hyping him up to be he would be going to one of the stronger leagues. 

The Cyprus league may not be the best but it has a pretty technical style which should help him develop some areas lacking in his play. An even bigger advantage to him going to Cyprus is as we all know he is a "Red Card in a WCQ match in Honduras" waiting to happen and with any minor contact the Cypriot players go down like Hondurans in WCQ. If anything is going to cure Henry of his tendency towards rough careless play it will be playing in a league like Cyprus.

I know who Samuel and Devos are, but I two would rate Henry as having a higher upside.  He is big and very quick.  Devos was certainly not quick, and Samuel wasn't as quick (although it was a different time).  Neither of the 3 are / were good with their feet but I still think that in spite of Henry's brain farts, he is better than those 2 at his age.  Does that mean he will become as good as those two? Who knows.

Do you know who Randy Samuel is? I would assume you must have heard of Jason Devos to name but one other obvious candidate. There was soccer in Canada long before TFC arrived on the scene. Good luck to Doneil Henry in Cyprus, I hope it works out for him, but if he was as hot a prospect as you are hyping him up to be he would be going to one of the stronger leagues. 

I don't disagree that some of the newer Nats fans lack memories but Devos went to play in the UK Tier 4 at the same age as Henry.

I don't disagree that some of the newer Nats fans lack memories but Devos went to play in the UK Tier 4 at the same age as Henry.

Yeah, and I would certainly take his situation (2nd best team Cyprus top flight/Likely Europa League participation) over playing in England's League two.

So, In that regard, he's ahead of Devos right now.

Neither of the 3 are / were good with their feet but I still think that in spite of Henry's brain farts, he is better than those 2 at his age.  

I think Henry is better with the ball at his feet than we give him credit for. His errors in decision making are largely mental, not necessarily a lack of technical ability.

Regardless, his technical ability should improve in that environment. As Grizzly pointed out, it is not the best league, but likely much more technical than MLS. 

Archived