Doneil Henry leaving TFC for Europe?

BrennanFan

Not to turn this into a "what should Ashtone Morgan do" thread, but from a playing perspective, Finland would be a good fit. The unfortunate thing is that Finland will pay him about 1/3 of what he would have made at TFC this year.

1/3 of what he made this year is like $27,000.  The average salary in 2010 in top tier Finland was, according to wiki, about 24,400 euros.  So, if you call Morgan an "about average" player in Finland, then this is probably a close-to accurate statement by shermanator.  If he's going that route, I'd rather see him try to land in top tier sweden or denmark instead...

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/3 of what he made this year is like $27,000.  The average salary in 2010 in top tier Finland was, according to wiki, about 24,400 euros.  So, if you call Morgan an "about average" player in Finland, then this is probably a close-to accurate statement by shermanator.  If he's going that route, I'd rather see him try to land in top tier sweden or denmark instead...

24 400 euros is actually about $35 000 canadian. Seeing as thats a 2010 number inflation would push the avg salary up to just under $40 000 CDN in todays money.

I find it hilarious when people rip on Doneil Henry.  The guy is probably the best young center back Canada has ever produced.  It shows you how little people in Canada/USA understand the game when we have amateur writers like Molinaro and Larson tearing up the kid for dumb reasons, as if a World Class center back never makes/made a mistake.. especially at 21.  And Hagglund gets off for every mistake because he's American and somehow in the same class as Henry in terms of class and potential.  Funny how people still hype up 1st round picks in this league despite the very low success rate associated with them.

Had to qft your post as I agree with almost all of it from his time w TFC. I really don't understand the preference for Hagglund over Henry. I get Henry give fouls up but Hagglund has gotten absolutely tooled by forwards on more than one occasion in a manner Henry simply doesn't any more. I've said to friends if the nationalities were reversed you'd be hearing how Henry is the next best thing since Omar Gonzalez (IMO). 

To stay on topic, I'm glad he's leaving TFC if this is true. I find shocking that the club has been unable to address his biggest weakness and get him to effectively and consistently connect a pass into the midfield. The fact he's gotten this far is amazing and I was worried he was going to become the next Attakora.

He has all the tools, better coaching will certainly help and good for him for trying to get into Europe and hopefully get that. With that said, the majority of his problems are in his head and only going to be fixed by himself. He is still so young and there is plenty of time still for him to develop.

Good luck to him! His experiences will benefit Canada either way.

24 400 euros is actually about $35 000 canadian. Seeing as thats a 2010 number inflation would push the avg salary up to just under $40 000 CDN in todays money.

I fully realize the numbers.  I'm just saying that Sherm is in the ballpark.  We delve way too deep.  Fine, I'm sorry, it's now 1/3, it's 3/7ths.  My bad, HUGE difference

I fully realize the numbers.  I'm just saying that Sherm is in the ballpark.  People here delve way too deep.  Fine, I'm sorry, it's now 1/3, it's 3/7ths.  My bad, HUGE difference

I just pointed out the MATERIAL difference. If we were to agree on my salary of $40 000 then hand me $27 000 and say its in the same ball park and its not a huge difference I'd be more than ticked off lol. the difference between 27 000 and 40 000 and is material and not "ballpark"

No need to get your knickers in a knot lol

we're all posting here for the same cause

I just pointed out the MATERIAL difference. If we were to agree on my salary of $40 000 then hand me $27 000 and say its in the same ball park and its not a huge difference I'd be more than ticked off lol. the difference between 27 000 and 40 000 and is material and not "ballpark"

No need to get your knickers in a knot lol

we're all posting here for the same cause

;) I was joking bro, sorry reading my post again I see that came across as more "eye-rolling" than I intended, I was just trying to be cheeky.  But yeah, more seriously, he'd probably end up getting a paycut if he did go to Finland.  That's not always the case for our Canadian MLS guys. 

I think Finland is a step down for him, personally...but then, there's always that conversation...is starting on a step down better than being a complete bench jockey a couple steps up?  I usually say I like seeing them play, so Finland could be a good fit.  But honestly, I'd rather see him land in Sweden or something...

;) I was joking bro, sorry reading my post again I see that came across as more "eye-rolling" than I intended, I was just trying to be cheeky.  But yeah, more seriously, he'd probably end up getting a paycut if he did go to Finland.  That's not always the case for our Canadian MLS guys. 

I think Finland is a step down for him, personally...but then, there's always that conversation...is starting on a step down better than being a complete bench jockey a couple steps up?  I usually say I like seeing them play, so Finland could be a good fit.  But honestly, I'd rather see him land in Sweden or something...

Cheers! no problem. My apologies as well :)

Had to qft your post as I agree with almost all of it from his time w TFC. I really don't understand the preference for Hagglund over Henry. I get Henry give fouls up but Hagglund has gotten absolutely tooled by forwards on more than one occasion in a manner Henry simply doesn't any more. I've said to friends if the nationalities were reversed you'd be hearing how Henry is the next best thing since Omar Gonzalez (IMO). 

To stay on topic, I'm glad he's leaving TFC if this is true. I find shocking that the club has been unable to address his biggest weakness and get him to effectively and consistently connect a pass into the midfield. The fact he's gotten this far is amazing and I was worried he was going to become the next Attakora.

I think a lot of it has to do with the way Henry plays. He always seems to be on the edge of a booking or rash challenge that will get him thrown out of the game or give away an enticing free kick for the other team. Hagglund's mistakes are less noticeable (on the surface) and brash and for that most supporters look the other way or don't see it. 

Personally, I think Henry is the greatest future asset our program has. He is built like an ox, an aerial monster, gets stuck in well and has the speed to close down quicker players. Yes, he needs to work on his ball-playing out of the back and tone down his aggressiveness, but remember he's 20. There are defenders today in the bigger leagues that aren't great at playing it out of the back. He has a number of talents that other players only dream of having due to his natural physique; ones that as he gets older he will learn how to make better use of. Since he entered MLS he's been my most enticing prospect and maybe I'm precious of him because of that, but I strongly believe he has the ability to play in a top 5 league with a few more years of seasoning. 

Getting out of TFC is the best thing for him. He needs to focus primarily on his development and not worry about all the off-field shenanigans that have gone on the entire time he's been here. I'll be excited to see what's next!

If it is true that he is going to APOEL then I am hoping they beat out Ajax for the third spot in their group in the Champion league because I doubt they will beat out PSG or Barcelona. They currently are one point behind Ajax with three games played and three games to go.

So, Henry was sold, loaned back to TFC in 2014, and will be loaned back to TFC in 2015? I'm curious why they sold him then?

We will get an answer next week on this deal.  

So TFC's off-season drama begins once again with a bang!  

Archived