Canada U20 vs. England U20 - November 12th

El Hombre

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RB thing is perplexing. If we're going to stick a LB in the right back position, I'd put Kwame Awuah there.

Was told that the coaches said Haynes had a fantastic game.  Also told he is used to the right side when playing LW and switching sides for parts of the games for Whitecaps.

The team looks very solid. By far, the best U20 side we have had especially in terms of depth.  When you can bring on guys like bustos, boakai, and hamilton off the bench, and have players like aird and larin not even in the side, you know you have great competition for spaces. 

What I am a little worried about is the defense.  Gasparatto and Adekugbe seem real quality.  But we don't seem to have a right back and I am not sold on Comsia as the second central back.  Farmer seems to have had a bad year as I was suspecting he would take this position but he seems to have regressed. Eli Roubos from the last U17's has not even been called lately and while at one time earmarked as a star, has seemed to have regressed as well. Aleksic while getting some limited minutes in Edmonton is untested at this level.

Perhaps putting Froese at right back does make sense.

I was excited about seeing how we fared against a top squad and by all accounts it seems we weren't at all out of our element! That alone is grounds for excitement.

Secondly, sometimes with youth teams it's a bit of a chicken-egg problem. Are we not producing good enough players to get exposure, or does the exposure help produce better players by getting them in better environments. Not sure the answer, but the exposure of this game as well as a run in CONCACAF would do well for the boys long-term prospects.

Thirdly, it seems as though as this could be the first wave of a golden generation of players. It's definitely too early to tell but this is seemingly the most young players we've had playing at a decent level in god knows how long! Having one of these kids turn into a top-league player would be fantastic! 

Fourthly, a stable MNT made up of young talent, playing attractive football and getting decent results will help us retain our talent better (you'd think). 

It's only one game I know, but it's so nice to see. Results like this will help us continue to move in the right direction! 

A nice run against England, Russia, and the US and you gotta think Aird wants to be a part of it going forward. If we can tie England without him and Larin what would we do to Scotland with both him and Larin.

Would it be a stretch to say we are better than the Scotland U20s? I dont think so at all. We'll know more in the next week. But im sure Aird is watching and hoping to be a part of it come Jan.

Honestly, I still say that I don't know if Aird automatically gets a start in this current side. Who do you sit Carreiro? Petrasso? Aparcio? Did you see that ball from Manny to Petrasso? Does he definitely beat out Bustos? Or Boakai? Or Froese?

From what I have seen in Scotland, Aird is being trained more and more as a wide midfielder and I don't think that's really our go forward system with the sort of attacking midfielders we have on hand. This kind of seems like what Squizz was talking about "Oh we're missing Aird, that will complete the team". I think if we had Aird and say lost out on Bustos (permanantly) or Petrasso we would be talking about them just as much as we do now of Aird. 

I agree our team is DEEP in quality. Just dont know how you leave off a guy who as a teenager has been getting regular minutes and scoring for Rangers at the 4th, 3rd, and now 2nd tier of Scotland football all as a teenager.  He is adapt to performing in high pressure situations in front of 30 000 fans.

Aparacio set up that amazing goal but he also missed the net when he was alone on goal on a break that could have put us up 1-0. Would Aird have finished that? I'm not sure? This is definately a good problem to have though.

One thing that really stood out was how much larger all of the English players were. Not just in height but they were all really muscular.

They were huge. Looked like 30 year old men who work out all the time. Maybe England is going through a phase like North American soccer is known for that develop the kids that are big and strong and win when they are young but do not develop the technique to win at the full men's level. If you look at Spain's team that won for many years their players were not huge physical specimens, instead they were smaller technical players.

About that Aparcio miss, I think he probably could have went down and earned a penalty. Clear two handed push from behind. Still had a good chance to hit the target though.

Manny was a little at fault for the first goal from England too. He approached the ball carrier and left his man open behind, also too small to intercept the ball over him. 

So i was just checking the England U21 squad (currently playing Portugal right now) and the only '95 born player called up currently is Will Hughes of Derby County:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_national_under-21_football_team#Current_squad

Other notable '95's that were missing yesterday are Callum Chambers of Arsenal and Luke Shaw of Man. Utd. who have been called up to the full English squad.

About that Aparcio miss, I think he probably could have went down and earned a penalty. Clear two handed push from behind. Still had a good chance to hit the target though.

Manny was a little at fault for the first goal from England too. He approached the ball carrier and left his man open behind, also too small to intercept the ball over him. 

Absolutely... a little more game awareness, he goes down... sells it a little for good measure... that's a sure penalty... like it or not, it's a skill.

With a day to look at everything I just want to get this right.  Our lineup was this:

GK Carducci; Haynes, Gasparotto, Comsia, Adekugbe ©; Gagnon-Laparé, Froese; Aparicio, Carreiro, Petrasso; Jalali

-------------------------------Carducci

Haynes---------Gasparotto-----Comsia--------Adekugbe

--------------Gagnon-Laparé--------Froese

-------Carreiro-------------Aparicio------------Petrasso

--------------------------------Jalali

Hamilton came on for Jalali

Who did Bustos come on for?

Was there any other subs?

With a day to look at everything I just want to get this right.  Our lineup was this:

GK Carducci; Haynes, Gasparotto, Comsia, Adekugbe ©; Gagnon-Laparé, Froese; Aparicio, Carreiro, Petrasso; Jalali

Carreiro was central and Manny was on the right.

It was a 4-1-4-1.

Archived