Red Team Elimination Watch 2014

Trillium

TFC win 2 and the Crew lose both? What are the tie-breaks?

From the MLS website:

1.     Total number of wins

2.     Goal Differential (GD)

3.     Goals For (GF)

4.     Fewest Disciplinary Points

5.     Road Goals Differential

6.     Road Goal For

7.     Home Goals Differential

8.     Home Goal For

9.     Coin Toss (2 clubs) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)

TFC is lucky there. Goal Differential favours Columbus. Unless I've interpreted something incorrectly, the only way for TFC to make the playoffs is if they win both their remaining games and Columbus lose both. In that case, they would be level on points, but TFC would have one more win. Anything else and TFC is out.

They got lucky on the tiebreak rule, but, really, the odds are grim. Still, there's an outside chance.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marco De VAIO, scores two clinical goals, what will he do in Toronto with the pressure of a must win game on the backs if TFC players?

Will Marco go full tilt in his second last game, before the 25 October retirement game at Saputo?

Soccer fans in TO should come out in numbers to see him, there should be lots of tickets available from the to let touts.

I hope Vanney and Bezbechenko are fired now after the collapse. The time for TFC to be a training ground for managers and coaches is over. Neither of these two guys has done enough to warrant staying on.

Vanney hasn't done enough to get this team to play better/different than Nelsen. And quite often the tactics employed were very similar to Nelsen's.

And Bezbechenko hasn't done enough either. Why so many TFC fans like this guy boggles my mind. Who the fuck is Tim Bezbechenko? What has he done before TFC and now with TFC?

But if the Leiwicke replacement search drags on I could see nothing happening on that front, which is a shame. Probably another wasted season next year as well.

Bradley insisting on taking all the spot kicks (barring penalties, although he did that when Defoe was out of the line-up and missed) has been driving me nuts the past few games.I've never seen a player so insistent on taking them all. Take the majority by all means, but when you are off in a game (which he has been the last 3) let someone else have a go at least once ffs! They had a chance for DeRo - a proven goalscorer, unlike Bradley - to take a direct free kick near the end of the Houston game, but Bradley took it once again & didn't trouble the keeper. Somebody else will finally get a chance against Montreal, but only because Bradley will be suspended.

Bradley insisting on taking all the spot kicks (barring penalties, although he did that when Defoe was out of the line-up and missed) has been driving me nuts the past few games.I've never seen a player so insistent on taking them all. Take the majority by all means, but when you are off in a game (which he has been the last 3) let someone else have a go at least once ffs! They had a chance for DeRo - a proven goalscorer, unlike Bradley - to take a direct free kick near the end of the Houston game, but Bradley took it once again & didn't trouble the keeper. Somebody else will finally get a chance against Montreal, but only because Bradley will be suspended.

THIS! He's a simple defensive mid for cry'n out loud. And while he's busy doing all he things he should let other players do, he's neglecting his primary task, that is helping out the D. You know why Teibert can call the shots and do most of the distributing for Caps? Cause Laba is doing the dirty work. Bradley should be doing the dirty work and let Osorio do the distributing (or Bekker for that matter).

Count Bradley's touches compared to our other players.  He ruins flow often as we'll be stringing together a quick style and then suddenly Bradley gets the ball and does his best Peyton Manning impression trying to hit the TD pass and hitting it into touch. 

THIS! He's a simple defensive mid for cry'n out loud. And while he's busy doing all he things he should let other players do, he's neglecting his primary task, that is helping out the D. You know why Teibert can call the shots and do most of the distributing for Caps? Cause Laba is doing the dirty work. Bradley should be doing the dirty work and let Osorio do the distributing (or Bekker for that matter).

Not quite sure I agree. Bradley, if he were on Vancouver, would be in the Teibert role, with Laba still doing the dirty work. Bradley, even with USA, is not a dirty work kind of guy. He's not an attacking mid either. Hence the balance issues. With a midfield 3 of Osorio, Bekker, and Bradley, or even with Warner in for one of those two, you have no players that are talented in the art of breaking up attacks and making timely challenges. Hence the no playoffs thing.

In other words, I don't think Bradley is performing up to standard, but I also don't think he has been put in the right role to succeed, partly because Toronto, since the Laba trade, lacks an actual talented d-mid.

Let's get JDG back at TFC. Give him the 6 role, let Bradley be an 8, and give Osorio the 10 role. Either that bring in a Pedro Morales type to be the 10, and let Osorio sub in the 8 or 10 roles where needed.

Amen! JDG would not have the pressure of carrying the whole team like he did on his first go round. I remember the first few games when he played for TFC every player would pass to him right away no matter if the pass was up field or not. The whole team assumed all they had to do was pass the ball to him.

Let's get JDG back at TFC. Give him the 6 role, let Bradley be an 8, and give Osorio the 10 role. Either that bring in a Pedro Morales type to be the 10, and let Osorio sub in the 8 or 10 roles where needed.

I'll buy that for 150k. JDG will still get punked off the ball by more physical MLS midfieders, but Bradley can be the muscle. More experienced Laba.

For a temporary solution, sure, why not.

I suggested JDG back to TFC a while ago.  Why not?  He would have to take $150k and I'm sure he would like to prove himself in Toronto, especially alongside Bradley and with more firepower.

When JDG went to Dallas he looked good, I have no doubt he can be not just a good mid but one of the better midfielders in the league.  If he can blend into a role like he did in Dallas (deep holding) without the pressure he will succeed. 

I wonder if Orlando would take a bunch of Toronto's large number of picks next year and Mark Bloom for the #1 so Toronto could grab Larin. Toronto could get by with Gilberto, Larin, Moore, Dike and a DP #10 who can also play a withdrawn striker role.

Give this man the Manager position for his creative thinking!!

So apparently Defoe is out for today, wonder if his groin stretch got worse thinking about being compared to Marco Devaio.

Will the TFC Southend give homage to Devaio if he scores two goals ?

This could be a great away game for Montreal,acone for the books should they win.

Archived