Red Team Elimination Watch 2014

Trillium

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily love the "You have to travel to every game and support in person" argument to define how big a fan you are of the Canadian team.  Not everyone can afford that.  If I could afford both the time of work and the plane tickets every time a game came about, I'd be at every game.  As it is, even some of the ones in EDMONTON (only a 6 hour drive) have even been difficult, as they have fallen on certain days that I've had previous work commitments that were very important.  

Especially when you throw in travelling to Panama and Mexico...in the future I hope to do something like that, but it has to be right.  As it is, I'm planning at least one game of the next Gold Cup, as long as one is in a city that is driveable.

But I still watch every single game that I can, and diligently follow our boys in Europe, firstrow sports is my home.  I don't find that anyone who can't go to Panama is any "less" of a fan.

so back on topic, tfc is winless in 5 games.  team has not improved at all since the coaching change.  our 2 best defenders, as well as osorio and defoe are out injured.  bradley has not done anything notable since the world cup.  rumours swirling that defoe wants out.  etc etc.  not panic time just yet but things are looking bad.

I think it's coaching change that hurt the team the most. I predict TFC won't make the playoffs, sadly.

I don't think the problem was that they fired the coach though, the problem is that they replaced a poor inexperienced coach with another inexperienced coach who so far has not shown that he is any better than the previous one. If they had a good coach lined up to replace Nelson things might be going differently.

Also according to Armen Bedakian, Leiweke said the following about Defoe in a lecture at Ryerson today:

Leiweke: "I think if he doesn’t want to be here, you get rid of him." #TFC #MLS

Leiweke: "We will have some new DPs we got to go get next year, I predict. I personally don’t think Defoe will come back." #TFC #MLS

I don't disagree with the sentiment but with the playoffs on the line and the hope that Defoe will return from injury and perform strongly during the playoff push that is absolutely terrible timing on Leiweke's part for a statement like this. I did not bother to watch the lecture since it is quite long but if anyone wants to watch it, it can be seen here: https://ryecast.ryerson.ca/12/Watch/7594.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Not only was that the best performance of the season, it was one of the best in years.  This was what we wanted when we made the changes this offseason and it has taken until September but finally it is here.  TFC controlled the play throughout and not just because they gave up a goal early and were scrambling to get back.

Let's see what happens, hopefully we don't have to wait too long for a performance like that again.

Mmm but I think anybody here would have to agree that Nelsen would have beaten this side as well. The line-up was as Nelsen as you can get, very defensive. Happy they won though and happy Osorio's back and I think those are related. Now get some momentum going cause it's going to be a tough few weeks.

Mmm but I think anybody here would have to agree that Nelsen would have beaten this side as well. The line-up was as Nelsen as you can get, very defensive. Happy they won though and happy Osorio's back and I think those are related. Now get some momentum going cause it's going to be a tough few weeks.

There was a big difference between this lineup and one that Nelsen would've put out: Osorio in the middle with Bradley.

Is Warner injured or has Vanney's move away from two DMs deliberate?

I like playing Osorio more than Warner. Watching him, I felt more at peace... except during the string of harsh challenges against him in the 1st half.

I much prefer Osorio over Warner.  TFC coaches have to accept the fact that Bradley will play deep and there's no moving him forward.  I'm not sure why Nelsen couldn't see that.

Also, I think Osorio made those challenges look harsher than they were.  :)

So do you think under Nelsen they wouldn't have beaten this Chivas?

I don't think I said anything like that.  All I said is I prefer Osorio in the middle, whereas it was painfully obvious that Nelsen liked two DMs there.  Had Nelsen been there, I would bet a fair chunk of change that Osorio would've played wide right and Bradley would've partnered with Creavalle.  They probably still would've won, but it definitely would've been a different game.

I don't think I said anything like that.  All I said is I prefer Osorio in the middle, whereas it was painfully obvious that Nelsen liked two DMs there.  Had Nelsen been there, I would bet a fair chunk of change that Osorio would've played wide right and Bradley would've partnered with Creavalle.  They probably still would've won, but it definitely would've been a different game.

Fair enough. Nelsen would have played Osorio on the wing. I mean Vanney comes on and starts saying how they will now start to play attractive football while in fact the play has barely changed. The attacking backs are off but yes, he plays one defensive mid less. At the end it all comes down to results. 

Thank you TFC!!! You had me very worried spotting a 2 goal lead to Portland but damn those were nice set play goals. Nice to see Hagglund make amends plus one. That plus our win over RSL has us both back in the playoff picture.

So TFC takes 3rd in the east and the Caps 5th in the west and my preseason prediction is 2/3rds correct. Let's go guys! 2 Canadian teams in the playoffs this year!

Damn shame about Will with the leg breaks. Get well soon Will.

Archived