Canadian Division 1A - Why We Need It

Tuscan

Question: Is Vic Montagliani a good head of CSA?

Considering how many friendlies we have gotten in the last while (men's and women's), and the appointment of Floro as head coach, and the quick "YES" to Calgary PDL, and the talk about a Canadian league, including the talks with the NASL?

Personally, I'm quite happy with how much progression there has been, despite some of the negatives.  So...

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how many friendlies we have gotten in the last while (men's and women's), and the appointment of Floro as head coach, and the quick "YES" to Calgary PDL, and the talk about a Canadian league, including the talks with the NASL?

Personally, I'm quite happy with how much progression there has been, despite some of the negatives.  So...

Agree with this, and don't forget his push for WC2026.

• 1 month later...

Peterson on Soccer Morning mentioned that he would like ot add two more Canadian teams to the NASL. I imagine Hamilton is one team, maybe Regina or Calgary is the other?

http://www.kenn.com/soccer/ussf_standards2014.pdf

Unless NASL plans more US expansion, it would require a waiver from USSF to ignore 75% US based teams rule

other than this mystical California expansion, are there rumours of US NASL expansions? 

• 1 month later...

Bob Young the owner of the ticats and the owner of NASL rights to Hamilton posts an update on the ticats forum.

The only reason the Ticats are unlikely to show up on Wednesday is because we cannot trust ourselves not to talk publicly about the ideas we are working on to bring pro soccer to Tim Hortons Field.icon_wink.gif

The conversations are still so early stage that publicity about any of these ideas could get in the way of making progress.

But rest assured, THF is a both a perfect football pitch and a fantastic soccer field, and we have committed to the City to bring high level soccer to Hamilton. We hope to have a viable soccer plan we can talk about by 2016.

The greater Southwestern Ontario soccer community will be essential to the success of this project, so you will be the first to know about any ideas that make it to the "planning" stage.

Also this....

Now that #NASL has hit 12 teams, they can legally add another in Canada. I am told to look for that in the near future- Hamilton most likely

what was he referring to that he wont be showing up to on Wednesday?

the poster "hammer" on the ticats board was organizing a meeting wednesday at an augusta street pub to start a hamilton based supporters group. I believe he is a poster on this board as well(or at least some other board I post on).

Well if there's no NASL affiliation hopefully Hamilton is the flagship franchise here

I don't know how you even get to 8 without MLS/NASL cities though.

- Hamilton

- Winnipeg

- Calgary

- Moncton

- Regina

- Victoria

??? 

Well if there's no NASL affiliation hopefully Hamilton is the flagship franchise here

I don't know how you even get to 8 without MLS/NASL cities though.

- Hamilton

- Winnipeg

- Calgary

- Moncton

- Regina

- Victoria

???

I bet ottawa and edmonton bail on nasl.

Its interesting because just last week before the traffic sports scandal ppl were reporting hamilton would be the next nasl team. Perhaps bob young did a complete u turn from the nasl after the tradfic news.

If not you can throw in london, halifax, windsor, kitchener waterloo in the mix.

Guess it depends what level of the league they're looking at (I'd go with NASL+, NASL or NASL- as the options if that makes sense).

If you're looking for either of the first two don't see how its done without the five largest soccer markets in the country.  Agree that Edmonton/Ottawa will likely bail on NASL, wish the pipe dream of everyone pulling out of the US leagues would happen.

Some initial thoughts:

"Other sports involvement" could be the MLS franchises. It might make more sense for the MLS teams to have their reserve teams in an all Canadian league, as they'd probably get a better turn out for games that they would in USL, and the level would probably be similar, and the games more meaningful for their players. Question is, would the league want reserve teams in it, that's very debatable.

If that were the case, and with the CFL involved, and assuming Hamilton doesn't get an NASL team (believe that when I see it), the league could look like:

- VWFC2

- Calgary

- Regina

- Winnipeg

- Hamilton

- TFC2

- FC Montreal

Add to this one or two of the NASL teams +/- a Victoria, London, KW or Halifax based team and you've got a pretty solid looking league, that covers all major Canadian TV markets, and is affiliated with far deeper pocketed ownership than any of the previous iterations of the old CSL.

Agree with above comments that Ottawa and especially Edmonton bail on NASL. The Traffic sports affiliation and travel costs (for Edmonton) surely must be making them think twice about their current situation. Also, with the CFL involvement you've got a bunch of stable ownership groups that all currently work together and know each other. No need to put up with the USSF or the bullshit currently going on south of us.

To be honest though, the complete lack of tangible details in this article and the "source" stating the announcement will be in late 2015 or 2016, leaves me kind of skeptical. That doesn't really add much to the conversation that we didn't already know, other than perhaps knowing that talks are at least still on going. I'll believe this when I see it from multiple "sources", with a little more substance, and I'll truly believe it all when it actually happens.

So many questions... What does this mean for L1O going Semi-Pro (the USL area)? Will this be full Pro? We've seen lots of hints that something is coming (Dino Rossi... Jamie's random post)

Either way, I am very very excited. Can't wait to hear more. Honestly hope K-W can step up. Were the 10th largest city in Canada, we need to be in this league.

Will be very interesting to see how this league unfolds over the next few years.

I can say that once this league starts up, it will get my full attention and support, assuming there is a Calgary club involved. Any support of mine towards Canadian clubs US based leagues will be secondary.

That is a pretty surprising article. Didn't see that coming at all.

If true - I'm actually a bit mixed on this. Sure, from a patriotic point of view, I would love to see a Canadian league. But, from a realistic (or is that pessimistic?) point of view, the NASL partnership route likely offered more stability and definitely a higher level of play. People should remember that the original CSL existed at a time when the US didn't have top-level league (NASL had folded and MLS hadn't started yet) - so you're not going to see CMNT (that's a thing) players rushing to play in this new incarnation.

I would hope that they keep the number a teams to a minimum - say 8. Any new league needs stability more than growth. Plus, the more compact the league size, the higher level of play (although minimally so).

I dont know. After the Traffic Sports indictment I wouldn't call the NASL exactly stable. The league owns Atlanta and are still trying to find an owner for them, and now they just took over Carolina from Traffic sports after the allegations.

Would be awesome if the MLS teams moved their reserve teams to the new Canadian league. Have hamilton, ottawa, tfc2, mtl2, halifax, regina, winnipeg, calgary, edmonton, tfc2 in the league.

Then wild cards like monction, victoria, london, windsor, KW.

Eventually the league could grow to a caliber for play where the big 3 pull their main teams out of MLS.

I would argue that CFL backing is way more stable than NASL backing at this current time.

That's entirely possible. Still a surprising move, especially if both Ottawa and Edmonton bail on the NASL. That would be a fairly big hit for them.

Archived