Canadian Division 1A - Why We Need It

Tuscan

Really the biggest news here is that talks re: Canadian D1 are still ongoing.

To be honest though, my gut tells this is just someone at the CSA trying "leak" some "news" that down plays their previous involvement with Traffic. I find it convenient that this piece goes out of it's way to down-play Traffic's previous involvement, and also provides little, if any new news otherwise.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild. I'm flat out of the opinion that partnering with the American leagues is the way to go because of the higher quality of play, regional rivalries and financial stability but I guess we'll find out. If true, kudos to Duane Rollins who has been on top of this story from the start.

I would argue that CFL backing is way more stable than NASL backing at this current time.

Yup CFL is at its strongest point in 40 years. NASL is at one of its lowest points.

The CFL partnership with the Canadian league is important. This is why we can't have soccer fans hating CFL fans.

Bob Young has stated he is 100% behind a Canadian league. And he is a former owner in the NASL.

That's entirely possible. Still a surprising move, especially if both Ottawa and Edmonton bail on the NASL. That would be a fairly big hit for them.

Edmonton is so isolated from other NASL teams with Minesota leaving. The tracel costs are ridiculous. Would be an even bigger hit if they stayed. They only draw 3000 game. That number can't go much lower in a Canadian league. Imagine the crowds they'd get against Calgary and Regina.

Based on the posts in here, thinking we'll see something like this if it happens

West: Vancouver II, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg

East: Toronto II, Montreal II, Ottawa, Hamilton

Add Regina and Moncton respectively if it gets to 10.  

Edmonton is so isolated from other NASL teams with Minesota leaving. The tracel costs are ridiculous. Would be an even bigger hit if they stayed. They only draw 3000 game. That number can't go much lower in a Canadian league. Imagine the crowds they'd get against Calgary and Regina.

Hey king1010:  I meant that this would be a big hit to the NASL, who are struggling to keep D2 status, based on not covering the Western times zones. Losing two teams, one of which is in the West doesn't help keep that Western presence.

Based on the posts in here, thinking we'll see something like this if it happens

West: Vancouver II, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg

East: Toronto II, Montreal II, Ottawa, Hamilton

Add Regina and Moncton respectively if it gets to 10.  

Your group of eight is what makes most sense to me. No offense to Regina and Moncton but Quebec City would rank way ahead of both, if covering major population centers is a key goal.

Yup CFL is at its strongest point in 40 years. NASL is at one of its lowest points.

The CFL partnership with the Canadian league is important. This is why we can't have soccer fans hating CFL fans.

Bob Young has stated he is 100% behind a Canadian league. And he is a former owner in the NASL.

THIS is very true. Put a team in Regina that wears green and silver and I honestly believe some of roughrider nation spills over.

THIS is very true. Put a team in Regina that wears green and silver and I honestly believe some of roughrider nation spills over.

100% they will.

The roughriders are probably the only major sporting entertainment in the summer, and they only play 9 times year. I am sure 5000 or so would come out to watch a green soccer team play at their shiny new stadium on a nice summer night.

What would be a good average attendance to shoot for? 5000?

Smaller teams averaging 3000, larger teams averaging 7000?

Hey king1010:  I meant that this would be a big hit to the NASL, who are struggling to keep D2 status, based on not covering the Western times zones. Losing two teams, one of which is in the West doesn't help keep that Western presence.

I don't know if a single US Div 2 league is possible. There's so many established teams that play at a similar level (NASL, USL), that perhaps regional leagues that form the 2nd division is the way of the future.

Back to the topic, this makes me excited.

Victoria is a good shout for another team. They always had good attendance when they had USL summer league team, and they managed to keep the team alive at the death, despite it being in PCSL. Along as they could find an interested backer I think the Victoria area would really do well with a pro/semi pro team playing nationally.

Victoria is a good shout for another team. They always had good attendance when they had USL summer league team, and they managed to keep the team alive at the death, despite it being in PCSL. Along as they could find an interested backer I think the Victoria area would really do well with a pro/semi pro team playing nationally.

I sure hope this league is fully pro and not semi pro.

So, with the CFL involvement, do the Argos sub-lease BMO Field to this new team? :)

Names for the league:

Beaver One

Northern Soccer League

Canada Premier League

The Canadaship

Blue Square Conference Really North

Traffic Sports, Never Heard of Them League

I sure hope this league is fully pro and not semi pro.

I just wonder what is the diffrence between a pro and a semi-pro? Most of the players on the Impact in the 90's had a second job during the offseason whether it was indoor or something else Is that semi-pro because they don't do it full-time? To me pro, means that during the season, your only job is on the soccer team.

Also, with this league starting up, I 100% believe that FC Edmonton will bail on the NASL. Considering that once Minnesota leaves, the nearest NASL city will be 1800 miles away, it makes too much sense from a travel standpoint.

I think they may try to do this as well.  I think the appeal of Calgary, or Winnipeg coming to town is much more appealing from an attendance standpoint that San Antonio or Ft. Lauderdale as well, travel aside.

I also think there is a very real possibility that TFC II, FC Montreal and Whitecaps II are very real possibilities for the same reason.

I could hurt the reputation and make it seem a bit like a reserve league unfortunately, similar to USL, but honestly, if 8-10 cities are required, you HAVE to think these ones might be in the mix.  In a CANADA-WIDE league, 1800 miles of travel is STILL going to be a possibility.  To compensate, yeah, you NEED 5000-8000 attendance to compensate.  FC Edmonton is absolutely bleeding money if you listen to Fath.  It's basically Fath's love of the game that's keeping it going, most franchises in Edmonton's situation would have folded already.  Blunt honesty, cold hard truth. 

So like...if Edmonton can't sustain a huge travel league with 3000+ average attendance...then yeah, TFC II will probably be in there for mama bear's pocketbook. 

So IF Ottawa and Edmonton jump ship, here's what you are looking at.

Ottawa Fury

FC Edmonton

TFC II

FC Montreal

Whitecaps II

Winnipeg

Regina

Calgary

Hamilton

There's 9 teams. 

Talks of Moncton and Victoria are awesome, but would Moncton really bring enough attendance to support the travelling costs to places like Calgary and Winnipeg, given that Edmonton is losing money in a similar travelling situation?  London and Kitchener would be part of the conversation of 10 teams WELL before Moncton anyways...as much as they want to avoid looking like another Ontario league...it's still financially more feasible...

I don't think trading Seattle 2 and Timbers 2 for Regina and Hamilton is that appealing to the Whitecaps but if Victoria and Calgary are on board it might be a wash.

Trading them for Calgary/Edmonton + some sort of national TV deal (have to assume TSN would be in on this) is more than a wash for them.

We're already saying this is going to be a reserve league? That would be disappointing, if better than nothing.

30% reserve league with the 3/10 MLS teams involved. Without 3 MLS reserve team involved I'd think its tough to get enough teams and enough money to start up the league.

Its better than nothing. And if the league does well with TV, attendance, and sponsorship the full CDN MLS teams may join.

Gotta crawl before you ball.

Without a miracle they're not going to get much TV viewership, let's be candid. If this league is going to turn a profit it'll be with sponsorship and ticket sales, and those will take years to develop. Will the reserve teams necessarily help with that?

Totally agree that it's better than nothing. Absolutely. 100%. Reserve teams being involved would not diminish my support for this league one iota; at the same time, if we mandate this league's inferiority to MLS from Day One, then that's a ceiling forever.

CGbnbW0VIAAgFSU.png

Without a miracle they're not going to get much TV viewership, let's be candid. If this league is going to turn a profit it'll be with sponsorship and ticket sales, and those will take years to develop. Will the reserve teams necessarily help with that?

Totally agree that it's better than nothing. Absolutely. 100%. Reserve teams being involved would not diminish my support for this league one iota; at the same time, if we mandate this league's inferiority to MLS from Day One, then that's a ceiling forever.

Agree with the last sentence, but don't see how the league gets off the ground without anything from the three largest markets in the country.  The optimal scenario I guess would be some rich guy coming in and trying to NY Cosmos it up, but there isn't exactly a similar groundswell of support. 

Love the poster.

Your point about "if we mandate this league's inferiority to MLS from Day One, then that's a ceiling forever"  I think is already a fait accompli. I see no way NASL or anyone else will overtake MLS in North America. They are established, have the best cities, own their stadiums (mostly) and the richest owners. That would be a hard hill to climb on any one of those fronts much less all combined.

Agree with the last sentence, but don't see how the league gets off the ground without anything from the three largest markets in the country.  The optimal scenario I guess would be some rich guy coming in and trying to NY Cosmos it up, but there isn't exactly a similar groundswell of support.

I can't speak for Montreal and Toronto, but I really do believe that an independent, smaller club in Vancouver could lose an acceptable amount of money: play at Swangard Stadium, market to a more organic crowd that can feel closer to the team (the hipster demographic, let's be candid), realize you won't be bigger than the Whitecaps for the foreseeable future and don't try to convince anyone else you will.

Maybe a Canadian Premier League could never surpass MLS; the US is big. But I'd at least like us to have the option of growing to the point where, in ten, twenty years, the Whitecaps, Toronto FCs, and Impacts say "it is in our interest to move our first teams back to our domestic league." Not because it will happen, but because it would be fantastic if it did.

Archived