Canadian Division 1A - Why We Need It

Tuscan

Umm who cares about American clubs in NASL.  

NASL will gain a lot if they have Canadian division because MLS is taking over best American soccer markets while helping USL Pro to become more competitive with their partnership deal.  

I personally believe there's no upside being in NASL from Canadian soccer POV, so it's better to have our own league which will include Canadian MLS markets.  Competition isn't bad thing even though it's scary concept to Canadian corporate world.  

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I have heard other news about Hamilton, Calgary and Winnipeg being on the radar, but it's just word of mouth.

Hamilton is more than word of mouth. Ticats owner Bob Young at one point owned Carolina in the NASL and he has exclusive negotiating rights to an NASL team at THF for the next year or so. They already have the rent and revenue distributions contract written up if Bob Young pulls the trigger on bringing an NASL team to the Hammer.

Now that I've seen the details of how the D3 regional league for the prairies is going to take shape, D1A isn't going to be too far behind. I think, if by 2020 the D1A league is announced, things will be unfolding pretty well on schedule.

Just for shites and googles, what would you name the Canadian D1A league? My idea: Canadian Super League (also suggested this in my D3 Regional League thread as a name for that league).

Now that I've seen the details of how the D3 regional league for the prairies is going to take shape, D1A isn't going to be too far behind. I think, if by 2020 the D1A league is announced, things will be unfolding pretty well on schedule.

Just for shites and googles, what would you name the Canadian D1A league? My idea: Canadian Super League (also suggested this in my D3 Regional League thread as a name for that league).

The Canadian D1A league name? "Canada League 1" gets my vote.

If NASL is running this league doesn't that mean Traffic is running it? And doesn't that mean that they might fuck with our players and get them involved in third party ownership?

No, Traffic doesn't run the league and it only owns 1 team now, the Carolina Railhawks, which it intends to keep. Traffic's influence now is basically their one seat on the BOG with that team.

NASL also has a good relationship with the CSA and it would serve them no purpose to screw with Canadian players. The league sees Canada as a strong part of the NASL with 4 more potential markets in the future not to mention the possible NASL Canada League.

On Garber's State of League Q&A, he said MLS is still working on Canadian domestic status in US issue, but frames it like it's not going to happen due to US labour laws.

MLS is working on giving 'incentives' for US MLS teams to sign Canadian players. Easiest way is giving allocation money. Another way is giving an int spot to the team whenever it signs a Canadian player.

No, Traffic doesn't run the league and it only owns 1 team now, the Carolina Railhawks, which it intends to keep. Traffic's influence now is basically their one seat on the BOG with that team.

NASL also has a good relationship with the CSA and it would serve them no purpose to screw with Canadian players. The league sees Canada as a strong part of the NASL with 4 more potential markets in the future not to mention the possible NASL Canada League.

Traffic has considerable influence over the NASL.

On Garber's State of League Q&A, he said MLS is still working on Canadian domestic status in US issue, but frames it like it's not going to happen due to US labour laws.

MLS is working on giving 'incentives' for US MLS teams to sign Canadian players. Easiest way is giving allocation money. Another way is giving an int spot to the team whenever it signs a Canadian player.

Garber is full of shit. USL pro counts CDNS as domestic players in the US. As does the NHL. The Labour law excuse is just that, a bogus excuse. MLS is just milking Canada for all the money they can get and not providing any benefit to us.

The worst part is he says Canadians aren't good enough yet to make even CDN clubs competitive nevermind American Clubs. Well if they aren't good enough let the clubs decide and sign Americans over Canadians as Domestic Players.

And then I see a couple whitecap fans tweet they agree with him and they want "club before country." They'd rather have competitive teams than develop CDN players. THE TWO AREN'T MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. both can be done at the same time.

Just goes to show that Garber and the MLS hate Canada. And ya, the Whitecaps evidently still do as well.

Garber is full of shit. USL pro counts CDNS as domestic players in the US. As does the NHL. The Labour law excuse is just that, a bogus excuse. MLS is just milking Canada for all the money they can get and not providing any benefit to us.

The worst part is he says Canadians aren't good enough yet to make even CDN clubs competitive nevermind American Clubs. Well if they aren't good enough let the clubs decide and sign Americans over Canadians as Domestic Players.

And then I see a couple whitecap fans tweet they agree with him and they want "club before country." They'd rather have competitive teams than develop CDN players. THE TWO AREN'T MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. both can be done at the same time.

Just goes to show that Garber and the MLS hate Canada. And ya, the Whitecaps evidently still do as well.

NHL doesn't have a foreign player quota

And this is exactly why I am losing my interest in MLS. Because they don't give a crap about developing Canadian talent. We are clearly a second rate nation in their league and are being treated as such. It's why I am not one of those who complain that TSN has the Grey Cup on 4 of their 5 channels, and the MLS playoffs are not on, and I couldn't care less. (I understand the TSN 3/4/5 channels are regional, but I just recently understood this)

Steven Sandor had a good article on the revelation that NOTHING was going to be done about Canadians being considered internationals on American MLS teams. Can't seem to link it at the moment, go to check out the11.ca to get the deets.

My point is there are no labour laws preventing it from happening as garber would have us believe.

actually, USL is in violation of US labour laws. it's just nobody's gone after them yet. if USL is in compliant with US labour laws, I'd love to hear how they got around this, considering NASL and MLS thinks otherwise.

to my knowledge, you cannot give preferential treatment to one nationality over another in US labour laws. it's either no foreign quota, or foreign quota applies to all nationality

actually, USL is in violation of US labour laws. it's just nobody's gone after them yet. if USL is in compliant with US labour laws, I'd love to hear how they got around this, considering NASL and MLS thinks otherwise.

to my knowledge, you cannot give preferential treatment to one nationality over another in US labour laws. it's either no foreign quota, or foreign quota applies to all nationality

The Marquette Sports Law Journal actually states the complete opposite. 

MLS IS IN VIOLATION of the law BY ENACTING a foreign player quota. 

In 1986, Congress passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA). IRCA prohibits discrimination based on national origin or citi- zenship status in the hiring, recruiting, referral or discharge of individu- als.4

When an American sports league implements a foreign athlete quota rule it would appear that the Immigration Reform and Control Act is violated. For example, in either the National Professional Soccer League (NPSL), Central Indoor Soccer League (CISL), or Major League Soccer (MLS) there is a large number of foreign soccer players to choose from in the selection of team members. Some of these players may be better than their American counterparts even though the soccer skill level has been improved in the United States as evidenced by the American team performance during the 1994 World Cup. Thus, foreign athletes could demonstrate that their qualifications are greater than an American candidate by virtue of personal game statistics, honors and experience in leagues which have greater competition than either the NPSL, CISL or MLS. 

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1155&context=sportslaw

written by Greenburg and Gray

If labour law is an issue, then how quickly can you get a green card?  I think MLS should help Canadians get green cards so they wouldn't count as international for MLS clubs.   

Also, how in the world Americans are consider domestic for Canadian clubs?  I am sure this violate Canadian labour laws, right?  

Duane Rollins (I think) on twitter stating that it looks like MLS will give each American team one-or-two trade-able 'Canadian-spots' that are separate from the international roster spots. In return, CSA may drop the '3 Canadian minimum' roster player rule on the Canadian clubs. All subject to the CBA bargaining.

Archived