TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

Paul Atfield article on G&M an absolute treasure trove of TFC info:

- Bradley and Nelsen didn't see eye-to-eye and had meetings during the season to smooth things over (surprise).  Bradley apparently didn't appreciate Nelsen's tactical approach 

- Tim B. was hired as a cap guy, TFC was really Nelsen's project under Leiweke.

-  The GM didn't like any of the last 4-5 moves Nelsen had made but with the support of Leiweke Nelsen was able to push them through.  

Thanks for the heads up.

The crazy thing is who the fuck is Tim Bezchenko? He is fairly green too.

The revolving door of management will continue. Its the MLSE way. A new CEO will be hired who will want to put his own people in place (or who will want to fire the current set of managers running TFC if success isn't immediate).

My guess is Vanney only remains as manager if he makes the playoffs.

This club. I don't know what to say. Just when you think they can't shock you anymore they go and pull off a day like today.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up.

The crazy thing is who the fuck is Tim Bezchenko? He is fairly green too.

The revolving door of management will continue. Its the MLSE way. A new CEO will be hired who will want to put his own people in place (or who will want to fire the current set of managers running TFC if success isn't immediate).

My guess is Vanney only remains as manager if he makes the playoffs.

This club. I don't know what to say. Just when you think they can't shock you anymore they go and pull off a day like today.

As much as I'm glad Nelsen is gone (can't be much worse) I agree Bez needs a critical examination.  

I'd be much more comfortable if he just took the title of assistant GM, head scout, etc... 

And with Vanney they have yet another coach in the long line of TFC coaches with little or no (Vanney's case) head coaching experience. 

Yep.  I also believe that with the gassing of Nelsen, Bez may have taken away his own firewall protection here should the team not make the playoffs.

Turmoil is never really good with a team; TFC finally looked like it had gotten past the previous years of uncertainty.  While Nelson has done a questionable job as a coach; he wasn't a complete gong show all the time and some stability was good for the team.

I agree with you stability would have been better, but now that it is done they need to move on and resolve the Defoe situation. Maybe Morgan will get some playing time under the new coach.

Yep.  I also believe that with the gassing of Nelsen, Bez may have taken away his own firewall protection here should the team not make the playoffs.

I'm not sure how protected Bezchenko is anyways. A new MLSE CEO will probably bring in someone new to run TFC. At that point all bets are off once again for the people running this club. We could be back here again next year (or sooner) talking about the new coaches and managers at TFC.

I'm not sure how protected Bezchenko is anyways. A new MLSE CEO will probably bring in someone new to run TFC. At that point all bets are off once again for the people running this club. We could be back here again next year (or sooner) talking about the new coaches and managers at TFC.

True, but I think his position is more on the line in this scenario.  But you're right, I think we will be back here talking about a "new direction" for the club.  

And on the Defoe situation: it appears its just a matter of when he leaves, not if. It will be either today or January, but he is gone.

To expedite the move he may only be loaned until January until a full move can be negotiated.

Very shitty timing for TFC.

That certainly increases TFC's playoff chances, if he actually does play.

The real question is was Defoe really hurt?

Even if he wasn't, he likely won't be available for Wednesday's match considering he is still in England now.

Who wants to bet he has a season ending injury now? Only to find health again right around the January transfer window opening? Torsten Frings deja vu.

Went away (from soccer at least) from the weekend and all hell seems to have broken loose in the interim. To be honest, I had been growing increasingly critical of Nelsen and had come to conclude the team was not going to improve with him as coach, with the narrow approach he took to the game and his personnel. I see from the game highlights that Nelsen chose not to even dress Ashton Morgan for a game where he was the only capable left back, while the guy who is being made to play out of position (Bloom) at left back was responsible for a goal against in the first two minutes, the third consecutive goal he was primarily to blame for. This then was compounded by another giveaway by a player who was only playing in the centre of defense because Hagglund was needed to play on the right because Bloom was playing on the left instead of a playing a healthy player in his position. I would ask how many mistakes the players who are playing instead of Morgan have to make before Morgan can be allowed to play except that the question is now redundant with Nelsen fired. But to have two goals at home conceded in the opening minutes due to a coaching mistake along with the continued insanity of playing Warner with Bradley in the middle of the park at home makes it tough not to agree with his removal as a coach. These are specific examples but they are the type of thing going on going the whole season long - add a style of play that relies on speed and removes skill and ability to hang on to the ball, poor substitutions all season long, and Nelsen being more fond of even the fans at making excuses by blaming other factors other than the team's play and you have a justification to make a move, even with the team in a playoff position (for now). Its tough not to argue that the team should be getting more out of what they had, particularly with half of what they had never getting a chance to play.

The only hesitation however is that I don't know anything about Vanney as a coach - I would rather remove Nelsen for a known, proven successful commodity than another inexperienced question mark. Its not always who you remove, but who you go with instead.

As for Bezbachenko, while it is somewhat relieving to know that he was against the Issey trade (I'd like to know if he was against getting Warner, or simply giving up Issey - it is the latter part I was against given how well he was clicking with his teammates), but it is more troubling that he was against the Luke Moore for Agboussomonde trade, which seems like a no-brainer.

Honestly I'm hoping off season trade for Bradley to NYCFC or OSC and TFC goes for Hutchinson. Bring him home and makes more sense to me he's a top-notch Canadian talent. If not Toronto at least Vancouver goes for it.

I would definitely be alright with something like this. Michael Bradley impressed me for about the first six games of the season. He hasn't stood up since he got back from the World Cup. We will see here at the end of the season how much of that had to do with Nelsen - maybe the coaching situation was really upsetting Bradley. Hopefully he seems reinvigorated at the end of the season. If so, I'd like to keep him on, but if we get the same Bradley we've seen most of the season, I'd be all for a Hutchinson homecoming.

Interesting timeline of events.  I wonder just how much all of this was all due to Leiweke's departure and the sudden conservative nature of Bell/Sportsnet

1. MLSE ownership of NFL team seems to fall flat.

2. Leiweke announces his departure (hence Bez feels empowered to do as he wishes)

3. DeRo interview on Sportsnet noting his lack of game time (surprised how little anyone has covered this - especially since I thought he'd be a great super sub this year)

4. Rumors of another hockey team coming to Toronto (with NHL expansion - what a great way for Bell and Rogers to break up their partnership as many have predicted, and allow each to own their respective teams...Gary Bettman really knows what he 's doing)

5. Reds lose to NE, with son of Mr. Canada scoring to add insult to injury

6. Coach is axed and Defoe rumours start (Reds no longer a priority and MLSE suddenly likes money even more)

7. Defoe stays (for now) and new coach in place thanks to Bez.

8. Stadium????

I'll be curious to see how this all plays itself out.  What a friggin soap opera.  But all due to Leiwike's departure most likely.

Honestly I'm hoping off season trade for Bradley to NYCFC or OSC and TFC goes for Hutchinson. Bring him home and makes more sense to me he's a top-notch Canadian talent. If not Toronto at least Vancouver goes for it.

huh?  who said anything about Hutch?  Maybe time to ask him if he's in Toronto this week for the CMNT game. 

My big question for Hutch (and I hope some decent journalists cover this) was about this CL game against Arsenal last week.  He was absolutely fantastic in that game.  No mention on the Voyageurs forum?  He was a machine in that game in the holding mid role.

I wonder what kind of non-compete clause Leiweke has in his contract and if it has been waved by TFC.

He wants to be an entrepenuer, i.e. run his own show, it could be he goes to California and sets up something for himself with investors, with him as the CEO/President majority owner, or if MLS Miami does not fly, could Becks be looking at San Diego and bring Leieke in as his business leader ?

Sid Seixiero went on a rant on TFC after the weekend's events, and proposed the following for TFC:

"It's time to turn TFC into what it should have been from the beginning. A breeding ground for Canadian soccer talent. If this team is going to suck, it should do so while building Canada's soccer future on the men's side. Everything in this organization; players, coaches, executives, strictly Canadian."

"If this team's going to be an embarassment, it should no longer do so while handing some washed up Scottish defender a paycheque, while Ashtone Morgan a Canadian kid can't even get on the bench. If you want to be successful, invest in Canada"

Of course they won't, but good to hear this point of view from the media.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tim-sid-an-open-letter-to-tfc/

Sid is on acid :)

TFC have developed a lot of players for the CMNT and offered paying jobs to a bunch more. I don't see how being in 4th place (with 2 games in hand on 3 of the 4 teams around you) is an embarrassment. Yes you've had some crap-show nights but you've also won a bunch more and are heading to the playoffs. Hardly an embarrassment season wise.

Yeah, this team is in the playoff spots and has played some of the best soccer in its history this year while building from one of the worst rosters in MLS history. This week has obviously been a shitshow but this has been a positive year overall for the club in my opinion. Given that Sixiero is a fan of Portuguese football, where this kind of thing happens every week, I find his comments pretty silly

Archived