TFC Roster Thread for 2014 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replace Warner first, and play Morgan second would be nice first steps. Nelsen must be on thin ice now.

I hear JDG is looking for a place to play  :D

Seriously though, all the flack JDG took should be ten-fold on Bradley and co. What a shit show this team is.

Bradley's effort in the middle of the field the last few games has been terrible but today took the cake as one of the most disinterested performances I have ever seen from a player of that sort of quality.  Total disgrace. 

Nelsen is stuck in the 80s tactically and his awful preference for athletic ability over all else is coming home to roost.  Really amazing how Oduro can run the ball straight into the six yard box but he couldn't pick out an open player to save his life or kick a ball into the water from the end of a pier his aim is so terrible.  It's just a pattern we've repeated all over the field.  Downgrade skill, upgrade pace / physicality.  Team has lost the ability to provide service to it's front players and instead relies on long hopeful balls or amateurish crosses put in by wingers who don't even look to see if there is even a target on the end of the balls they send in. 

I can't wait until they replace this guy and they can maybe for once hire someone who plays a reasonably modern game and doesn't worship the holly grail of "getting stuck in" above all else. 

Seriously JDG was horrible but how does Bradley who makes almost 4x what De Guzman did get a free pass?

Because he's on the USMNT? Thats exactly it.  That was absolutely horrible...was Bradley high today? Because hitting the official and passing straight to an opponent multiple times is pretty inexcusable at 6 million per year. 

Our football is so predictable and boring my god.  We hope that Bradley or Warner win the ball and play it to Gilberto, who let's face it is a useless team player who is only worried about making a name for himself... OR the option that is always available we play it out wide to Oduro and let him use his only move (change of pace) to put in a cross that will only find a man 5% of the time.   

I'm no fan but with Morgan in the team at least we could get some width and overload the flanks.  Sure he's not great defensively but we just lost 3-0 at home.. how could it get worse?

What a joke Nelsen is fighting or his job saying that Bezbatchenko was wrong to challenge the team and that the players were aggravated.  Aggravated?!  They played with no urgency AT ALL!  Nothing to do with nerves or pressure they didn't come to play, I wouldn't have started Bradley with Warner as usual but if I had to choose one it would be Warner for sure today.  Absolutely pathetic today looked like he was just trying to blend in instead of commanding. 

We will probably sneak into the playoffs but we'll be gone very quickly.  This team is too easy to break down for any manager with common sense.

What a joke Nelsen is fighting or his job saying that Bezbatchenko was wrong to challenge the team and that the players were aggravated.

It's interesting that he used a post game press conference to go on and on about how some things should remain behind closed doors.  I guess motivation tactics should stay behind closed doors but excuses are fair game.  Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

....or stay with 2 DMs when we are down 2-0 after 25 minutes?

Then remove Osorio at 60 min when he was one of the few showing any life (not that he showed much either!)

Does anyone remember the last time Bendik made a big save, or mediocre save for that matter? 

So much to discuss I will probably miss something.

I've been a Nelsen hater for awhile now but this game just amplified all the reasons why I think he is out of his depth. Have to wonder if the Nelsen/Bezbatchenko spat is linked to the impending departure of Tim Leiwieke. Both of these guys must be feeling the heat. Anyone who has been following this team could see that the performances have been pretty bad for a few months now. Even the wins weren't convincing, usually just a couple moments of brilliance from Defoe (or more recently Gilberto).

I think Nelsen is an awful manager. His tactics are predictable and boring. His player selection management is crappy and his subs are usually useless. You can usually predict his substitutions. And they are usually always like for like, they never alter the tactic. And they usually occur after it is too late. Yesterday was a perfect example: Lovitz in to replace Osorio (to play the same position), did anyone think Osorio needed to be subbed out? Afterwards Jackson for Oduro, these players are very similar in attack (ie. cough up the ball and never make that last pass that is needed), and finally a striker for striker (I was happy to finally see De Rosario!).

Nelsen only has about 13-14 players he really likes to use. So either this team has no depth and he is right to not trust the other roster players, or Bezbetchanko has done a bad job in putting this team together. Which is funny because TFC fans give Bez so much love even though it is still totally unwarranted.

If this team crashes out of a playoff spot it will be the most TFC thing ever. This just feels like classic TFC deja vu. Once again we have the wrong people in place to run this team and the results will suffer for it. Even spending $16 million in salary can't save this team.

I often wonder if this team would be better if it had a midfield of Issey-Osorio-Bradley-Oduro.

Then there is Bradley. His play is criminal considering how much he gets paid. This is Julian De Guzman 2.0. But he gets treated with kids gloves because he is the American golden boy. But his play just doesn't cut it. Not at his pay scale. And this has been going on since his return from injury.

I also wonder about Bendik. I think he may have been mentally fucked by the Cesar loan. He really hasn't been the same since.

Then remove Osorio at 60 min when he was one of the few showing any life (not that he showed much either!)

This sub made no sense, unless you have been following Nelsen as a manager. Because it is classic Nelsen to make a like for like sub (positionally).

Probably would have made more sense to sub out Warner for Lovitz and have Osorio slide into the middle. But Nelsen appears like he is willing to go down with the Warner-Bradley CM pairing.

....or stay with 2 DMs when we are down 2-0 after 25 minutes?

Does anyone remember the last time Bendik made a big save, or mediocre save for that matter? 

No jump, no urgency, Nguyen had the freedom of the pitch, the entire team looked like it was taken in by the surrounding carny atmosphere.

I also found the Osorio sub after the third goal a truly bizarre one for the reason you stated, but like you he looked a one eyed king in the land of the midfield blind.

I thought the second goal was a good hit (though a couple of our players made it way too easy for Rowe to get his shot off).  

Bradley was awful, regardless of a few passes or what any analytics/moneyball stats may show.  Looked like a marathon runner hitting a wall today.

Someone needs to keep Oduro out after team training sessions to work on his basics, mainly his ball control/first touch.    

I have never seen/heard of anything like that before.  Nelsen has to go, and I have always supported him til recently.

Although absent from my earlier comments, I feel the same about Bradley.  Utterly useless since the first couple games.  No coincidence our best run of form was while he was out during the WC. 

TFC presser at 4 today.  Looks like Nelsen is done.

Good riddance.  Hopefully the next manager has the common sense to see that Bradley is just human and should be put in a basic role that he is comfortable with and that the only midfielder who can compliment his skill set is Osorio. 

TFC presser at 4 today.  Looks like Nelsen is done.

Good riddance.  Hopefully the next manager has the common sense to see that Bradley is just human and should be put in a basic role that he is comfortable with and that the only midfielder who can compliment his skill set is Osorio. 

Tweets from both Larson and Sportsnet seem to confirm this.

Kurtis Larson @KurtLarSUN 9m

BREAKING: Ryan Nelsen out at Toronto FC.

Sportsnet @Sportsnet 1m

Toronto FC is parting ways with manager Ryan Nelsen. http://bit.ly/1sT9M3u  #TFC

Update seems to say that the ENTIRE coaching staff save for Jason Bent has been fired.

You can tell Gilberto doesn't have much going on upstairs just by looking at him and how he plays but now he posted "Canada continues to surprise me"... 

Kurt Larson needs to get off Gilberto seriously does Larson get paid off to apologize for poor foreign DPs?  Can't imagine that if we signed Olivier Occean as a DP and he under performed the way Gilberto has that everyone would be okay with it.  Double standard.  The guy is talented because he's large, fast and powerful but it means nothing if he takes away from the team with his decision making and selfishness.  With Moore, Defoe, Dike and De Rosario we are fine at striker..

Archived