Canadians in MLS (2013 Season)

mulliganl

Aug. 10th - Morgan, Henry & Osorio all play 90 minutes in a 2-1 loss for TFC against Seattle. Henry & Osorio both scored, unfortunately Henry's was an own-goal which proved to be the eventual winner. He was also one of about 6 players caught ball-watching on the first goal but otherwise had a very strong game and did help to injure Obefemi Martins with a clean crunching tackle. The ball did not bounce kindly for TFC in this one, deserved a better fate - then again, with Seattle being able to bring off an injured ex-EPL player and substitute with another ex-EPL player in Clint Dempsey and TFC in comparison bringing on the likes of Justin "I can't even control the ball" Braun, you can see why they squandered so many chances. Bekker was not dressed for this one, neither was Roberts & Aparicio is with the U18 national team (which I didn't realize we had - I take it that it is really the next cycle U20 team in reality).

Teibert plays 90 for Vancouver in 2-0 win over the Attakora-less Earthquakes (is he still out with that concussion?), Bernier plays 90 in a 2-1 Montreal loss to Chicago. DC United lose 2-0 with Porter & DeRo each playing a half (the latter was subbed in for the former) and Jakovic on the bench.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aug. 10th - Morgan, Henry & Osorio all play 90 minutes in a 2-1 loss for TFC against Seattle. Henry & Osorio both scored, unfortunately Henry's was an own-goal which proved to be the eventual winner. He was also one of about 6 players caught ball-watching on the first goal but otherwise had a very strong game and did help to injure Obefemi Martins with a clean crunching tackle. The ball did not bounce kindly for TFC in this one, deserved a better fate

Henry, a player with all the physical tools in his shed, has shown he remains what what most 20-year-old’s in MLS remain — a prospect.

His coach, through, indicated the opposite, implying Steven Caldwell and Henry are his centre pairing moving forward despite witnessing the same sloppy opening half.

“(Henry’s) ready and I thought he had a great game today,” TFC head coach Ryan Nelsen said. “He’s playing against a Nigerian international (Martins) and one of the most sought after players in Europe (Clint Dempsey) … He’s only just turned 20.”

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/toronto-fc-undone-by-pari-of-early-defensive-letdowns/

Typical Toronto sports media jumping on the kid. I'm guessing this is all based off the own goal which to be honest Bendik probably should have had, how stupid... Henry is fine and he should be starting every game for the rest of this joke season so at least we can build for the future. What a tackle on Martins.

The OG was really nothing more than bad luck. The criminal mistake was the one made by Eckersley over on the touch line. He did make a hash of getting back after the blown offside trap, but I can see three other guys standing next to Henry doing the same thing. Really, if they want to get after the kid for anything it should be going in hard on speculative challenges where he has no opportunity to win the ball or his speculative passing out of the back. He's gradually getting these things out of his game and is generally showing progress.

If this were a playoff bound team they might hold him back out of the starting lineup and look for a more experienced CB. However, since the season is shot, he has high potential, and is right on the bubble in terms of being able to competently do the job... it makes sense to have him start and iron the kinks out of his game. He's still ridiculously young and is going on his fourth season as a pro.

Larson is just picking on an easy target rather than using his brain.

It's not just Larson. Molinaro also ripped Henry to shreds in his post-game write up, stating that the team needs more centre-back help because Caldwell can't do it all on his own and continue to cover for all the mistakes that Henry & Agboussomonde make.

The team probably could use a 4th CB, but it has little to do with Henry. Henry has bailed out Caldwell when he's been caught up field on a number of occasions, and of the group of players caught ball-watching/not playing to the whistle thinking it was offside, the player who should know best not to do that should be the 32 year old Captain & marshall of the defense, not the kid who just turned 20. I'm not knocking Caldwell - I think he's been fine & a good addition to the team. I just think it is ludicrous that the media is picking on Henry when the more experienced players like Eckersley (who was mainly to blame for the problems leading to the own goal) and Caldwell are to blame on goals just as much. And note to the Toronto soccer media - you might want to notice that strikers & attacking players can make just as many gaffes, if not more (missing sitters or not passing on 2 on 1's like Convey did, yet they are never picked on in the same fashion), and that it's not just about what mistakes players make but how they perform for the other 99% of the game.

Henry is a great prospect who continues to improve. I guess someone has to be the scapegoat, which is bs.

The way Eckersely is revered kills me though. Most of the time he is utterly useless. The only thing he is good at is hustling and not giving up after already being beaten. But nobody runs into nowhere better than him. Yet because he tries so hard a lot of fans love him and the media tend to gloss over his faults.

I guess someone has to be the scapegoat, which is bs.

There have been a number of heavily maligned guys in this club's history who have been (arguably unfairly) saddled with that role, and there have also been those favourites who have been overly coddled with excuses for underachievement. C'est la vie.

Personally, I like Henry and what he has shown, which is a lot of good things. Tough break with the own goal. Sh*t like that happens now and then but it's how you deal with the static that you get from it that counts. That's where you cultivate resolve and mental toughness. I have no doubt he will put this behind him.

August 17

-Patrice Bernier played 90 minutes in Montreal's 2-1 win over DC. Dejan Jakovic and Dero both played 90 for DC. Kyle Porter started and played 71 minutes. Maxim Tissot didn't make it off of the Impact bench.

-Ashtone Morgan, Doneil Henry, and Jonathan Osorio all played 90 minutes for TFC in their 2-0 loss to Columbus.

-Russell Teibert played 90 minutes for Vancouver in their 2-0 loss to Colorado.

August 24th - 6 Canucks played in the 1-1 draw between TFC & DC United. De Rosario scored for DC & went 90 minutes as did Jakovic, Henry & Morgan. Osorio was taken off with an ankle injury mid-way through the 1st half while Porter was subbed on for the last 10 minutes or so for DC. Bekker didn't seem to be dressed, a shame given that Laba was out injured.

Bernier played 90 for Montreal in a 5-0 Win against Houston. Teibert played 90 for Vancouver in a 1-0 loss to LA. Attakora presumably still out injured for San Jose & wasn't dressed in their 2-2 draw with Dallas

August 24th - 6 Canucks played in the 1-1 draw between TFC & DC United. De Rosario scored for DC & went 90 minutes as did Jakovic, Henry & Morgan. Osorio was taken off with an ankle injury mid-way through the 1st half while Porter was subbed on for the last 10 minutes or so for DC. Bekker didn't seem to be dressed, a shame given that Laba was out injured.

Bernier played 90 for Montreal in a 5-0 Win against Houston. Teibert played 90 for Vancouver in a 1-0 loss to LA. Attakora presumably still out injured for San Jose & wasn't dressed in their 2-2 draw with Dallas

Bekker should be playing in the NASL, no? I'm not sure he's any better or worse than Saiko (dead balls aside), so it should be about his current level, but I would like to see him get a real run of pro soccer in, maybe avoid being the next Matt Stinson.

Bernier made a very unselfish assist on the 4-0 goal (Di Vaio's second) in the Impact win.

I was very impressed with that decision. From where he was he would score 70% on those chances but from where Di Vaio was it is 99%. Slick.

Even though we lost Russell Teibert played 90 and continues to be the man on the right side. Every time we need to switch play quickly a 50 yard bomb out to him gets pulled in like it was velcro'd to his foot. Great pass receiving. I hope lots of kids see that. I never get tired of it.

Perhaps I need to watch this game again but I wasn't that impressed with his overall play in this match.

I've come to the conclusion that Nelsen simply doesn't rate Bekker and that's that. The best place for him right now is probably Edmonton where Miller is his coach.

Marcos Bustos scored for Caps reserves in a 2-2 draw with Seattle. Adekugbe, Froese, and Brett Levis all played.

Cool. It's a shame though that USL Pro matches and especially MLS Reserve matches only appear on soccerway days after the games is actually played. Bush league.

Adekugbe and Froese are right up there to get a contract for next season I think. Bustos might be as well.

Cool. It's a shame though that USL Pro matches and especially MLS Reserve matches only appear on soccerway days after the games is actually played. Bush league.

Adekugbe and Froese are right up there to get a contract for next season I think. Bustos might be as well.

Team Manitoba!

August 30th - Osorio, Henry & Morgan all play 90 as TFC draw New England 1-1. Henry & Osorio set up the TFC goal (I imagine Henry will get officially credited but not Osorio), Henry & Morgan picked up yellow cards so I think that means that Henry is suspended for the next TFC game - he seems to time his suspensions for his national team call-ups. Both defenders spent much of the match battering, pummelling and ultimately injuring US star Juan Agudelo, causing him to be subbed out of the match in the 2nd half. That's what I want to see from our boys! :)

August 31

-Patrice Bernier started and played the entire match of Montreal's 0-0 draw with Philadelphia.

-Dwayne Derosario started, assisted on DC's goal, and played 90 minutes in DC's 2-1 loss to NYRB. Dejan Jakovic also went 90 for DC.

September 1

-Russell Teibert started and played 56 minutes in Vancouver's 2-2 draw with Chivas USA.

• 1 month later...

Archived