Canadians in MLS (2013 Season)

mulliganl

Actually the reserves League is more interestig. That's where the future is. Montreal, TFC and Whitecaps all play a lot f domestic players, not to say that all of them will succeed, but some probably will. Beckie has played for the Crew Reserves and there's a kid at Galaxy as well.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to reply on myself but I say Bryce Alderson played for Whitecps Reserves. Did his loan at Charleston end? He might be making his MLS-debut then this season...

I dont think it was a permanent recall, they recalled Adjety from Charleston as well. Fixture overload - Caps, U18 Playoffs, Reserves, and U23 PDL all in one week. Not enough players to go around.

Don't know for certain though....

July 17

-Ashtone Morgan and Jonathan Osorio both played 90 minutes in TFC's 1-0 loss away to Chivas. Kyle Bekker subbed on for 22 minutes.

July 20

-Ashtone Morgan and Jonathan Osorio both played 90 minutes in TFC's 0-0 draw at home to NYRB. Kyle Bekker didn't make it off the substitutes bench.

-Patrice Bernier played the entire match of Montreal's 0-0 draw with FC Dallas.

-Will Johnson played 90 minutes in Portland's 0-0 draw with Philadelphia.

-Dejan Jokovic subbed on at halftime and Kyle Porter with 29 minutes left in DC United's 4-1 loss to Chicago. The score was 3-0 when Dejan subbed on and 4-1 when Kyle did.

-Russell Teibert started and played 76 minutes in Vancouver's 2-1 loss to LA Galaxy.

^ Doneil Henry also played 90 for TFC in the 0-0 draw. And pretty well actually, aside from a couple of wayward passes.

His technique is ugly but he's a beast physically. Also, Osorio is the only reason I look forward to matches.

His technique is ugly but he's a beast physically. Also, Osorio is the only reason I look forward to matches.

A couple passes went astray, but he actually moves the ball pretty well. Yeah, naive defensively, like Morgan, but he is quick and physical. If he can development some consistency and maturity, we may have a great player on our hands - for both TFC and Canada.

Edit: I should add, my comment to my family regarding Osorio as we were leaving - No surprise TFC is where they are in the standings when their best player is a just-turned 21 year old Canadian!

He doesn't have the best technique but it is A LOT better than Attakora's IMO. His technique is also comparable to Morgans, it is not going to dazzle anyone but I think he is more than adequate, and typical for a North American player.

Yeah, I agree Osorio is the main reason to tune into TFC games. Still formulating my opinion on him as a player. He doesn't do anything particularly well but he is not really weak in any particular area. He has sufficient speed, adequate technique, a good engine, respectable ball control and improvisation in tight areas, and a decent shot.

He is a shaping up to be an interesting player for us. He shows a willingness to go forward, but he doesn't appear to have the skill to beat players in the same way that DeRo or Aleman do. Instead it is usually a quick change of pace to dance around a defender and put a cross into the box, nothing particularly fancy. It is either that or he looks to combine with others in order to create space. He doesn't have that individual flair about him really. Still though, at 20 years old I am impressed with what he is doing and I think he can develop to be a solid player for us. I do not think he will be a star attacker for us though, I don't think he has the skill set for that.

I would say as far as technique goes, Morgan has the absolute minimum. He is very one footed, and that one foot still has limited utility. Henry is much more robust, but struggles with his decision making which puts him in some tough spots. But that's not terribly surprising for a central defender.

Osorio a good player to have on the field. He can support the attack properly without taking over the attack. He gets more focus on weak TFC / Canada squads, but in an ideal scenario he would not be a catalyst but rather someone who supports the main catalyst.

I would say as far as technique goes, Morgan has the absolute minimum. He is very one footed, and that one foot still has limited utility. Henry is much more robust, but struggles with his decision making which puts him in some tough spots. But that's not terribly surprising for a central defender.

Osorio a good player to have on the field. He can support the attack properly without taking over the attack. He gets more focus on weak TFC / Canada squads, but in an ideal scenario he would not be a catalyst but rather someone who supports the main catalyst.

I really have to agree, that is a good way to put it. Indeed, Osorio is more of a supporting player, but a good one nonetheless. Spot on about Morgan too, he seems to appear more and more one diamentional the more I watch him.

I can't disagree with any of this either. Morgan's weaknesses seem amplified this year because he appears nervous. He has speed, but needs to get his confidence back to become a useful player.

Osorio is on a different class to Morgan at this point I have to say. When Morgan broke in at 20 you could excuse some of his mistakes but at this point we see the same mistakes playing over, poor defending time and time again and no real progress. If anything I think Morgan has regressed from what he was in 2011.

I have no doubt that if Osorio played full back he would be more effective than Morgan. He's strong on the ball with the right size for MLS, good technique for this league, good decision making/creativity (by our standards at least). Osorio can actually take on a guy (or two) through his dribbling, Morgan needs to pray that he can just outpace his number or turn up a gear and knock the ball around an off-foot defender (this is the same reason Morgan could never be an effective winger at this level). He'll be in Canada's plans from here on out, Morgan probably will be too but for Canada's sake let's hope another left back can step up somewhere soon (Tissot).

He's strong on the ball with the right size for MLS, good technique for this league, good decision making/creativity (by our standards at least). Osorio can actually take on a guy (or two) through his dribbling

Agreed, I think he's showed some good moves and 1 v 1 burst, but I disagree in that I think he needs to get more strength on the ball: I've seen him get overpowered too easily a number of times, but that will come. He's no Laba in that department.

He's certainly earned Nelsen's trust much more than Bekker.

July 27

-Dejan Jakovic started and played the entire match in DC's 2-1 loss to New England. Kyle Porter also started and was subbed in the 60th minute. Dwayne De Rosario subbed on for 24 minutes.

-Patrice Bernier started and played 90 minutes in Montreal's 1-0 win over Sporting KC.

-Russell Teibert started and played 90 minutes for Vancouver in their 1-0 loss to Philadelphia. Vancouver was reduced to 10 men in the 8th minute.

-Will Johnson played the entire match of Portland's 2-1 loss to San Jose.

July 27

-Russell Teibert started and played 90 minutes for Vancouver in their 1-0 loss to Philadelphia. Vancouver was reduced to 10 men in the 8th minute.

Yea that really sucked. Should have been another 9 point weekend. Stupid retaliation by Davidson, just real stupid. We actually had more and better chances and hit the post once. Russell played great but down to 10 men and we ran out of gas with a couple of minutes to go we got scored on.

July 31

-MLS All-Stars lose 3-1 to AS Roma. Will Johnson and Patrice Bernier played 1 half each.

August 3

-DC United pick up a 3-1 home win over Montreal. Dejan Jakovic and Kyle Porter each played the entire match, Dwayne Derosario started and played 64 minutes. Patrice Bernier started and played 70 minutes for Montreal.

-Will Johnson and Russell Teibert both started and played the entire match of Portland and Vancouver's 1-1 draw.

August 4

-Doneil Henry, Ashtone Morgan, and Jonathan Osorio each played the entire match of Toronto's 1-0 away win against New England.

August 7

-Will Johnson started and played 63 minutes in Portland's 2-1 US Open Cup semifinal loss to Real Salt Lake.

-Dwayne De Rosario played 90 minutes and scored DC's first goal in their 2-0 US Open Cup semifinal win over the Chicago Fire. Kyle Porter and Dejan Jakovic also played 90 for the winning side who move on to play Real Salt Lake in the final.

Russell goes the full 90+ against San Jose and was one of the most effective players. Great assist on the second goal and nice yellow card foul to boot :)

Highlight reel stuff was Camilo blasting the ball 50+ yards across the field to an open RT who deftly pulls it in and chips it through for NRC. That type of touch and control is what we need a lot more of from all our players.

Archived