NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

German magazine Kicker reports that Marcel de Jong has stated his wish to extend his contact at FC Augsburg of the 1. Bundesliga.  The brief article also stated that de Jong has offers in Belgium and the Netherlands, but staying at Augsburg is his first priority. 
He's rarely featured this season in the surprising Augsburg team that have gone from being tipped for relegation at the beginning of the season to being on the verge of a Europa League place going into the last match of the season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

German magazine Kicker reports that Marcel de Jong has stated his wish to extend his contact at FC Augsburg of the 1. Bundesliga.  The brief article also stated that de Jong has offers in Belgium and the Netherlands, but staying at Augsburg is his first priority. 

He's rarely featured this season in the surprising Augsburg team that have gone from being tipped for relegation at the beginning of the season to being on the verge of a Europa League place going into the last match of the season.

I really wonder why he would want to rot away on the bench during perhaps his last great few years as a pro athlete. Maybe he married a local gal. Or maybe he values league quality as number one.

I really wonder why he would want to rot away on the bench during perhaps his last great few years as a pro athlete. Maybe he married a local gal. Or maybe he values league quality as number one.

On the other hand, if Augsburg gets Europe next season, they will need more depth in the squad and there will be more opportunities for de Jong.  

The fact that he has been a constant on the bench and has been substituted in several times during Augsburg break out year says a lot.  It is difficult for a trainer to shift the backline when the squad is firing on all cylinders (hey - they defeated Bayern).  Who knows what the coaches are telling him, but he must sense there is some future there.

Going to the Netherlands or Belgium at this stage of his career is not really a step up - both are great leagues for development but they tend to favour youth over experience (with the exception of the elder statesmen in the squad).   

Removed

Jackson Farmer - Charleston Battery (USL Pro/MLS Reserve) (3) (on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps)

Reason: Recalled

Tossaint Ricketts - Bucaspor (Turkish 1 Lig) (2)

Reason: Has left club

Was going to remove Marcus Haber.  Can anyone confirm this or other removals?

Added

Felix Clapin-Girard - Colomiers (French Ligue National) (3) (U-19)

Adam Appugliesi - Savona (Italian Lega Pro 1) (3) (U-19)

Keep updating me with the player movements guys, great job, thank you!  (Note: Before any Italian football fan comments, yes I am aware that it will not be called Lega Pro very soon, and that Savona may be promoted as well, but I will wait until season end to update these things.  (The Italian football pyramid is changing next year)

I found a young kid from Calgary in the West Ham academy. Malyk Hamilton. I assume he is Canadian.

http://instagram.com/p/nnXjxYt9aO/#

Here is an article from Calgary Foothills that he joined them a couple of years ago.

http://calgaryfoothillssoccer.com/news.php?news_id=599792

Awesome for him!  I'll try to keep tabs on him :)

There are a TONNE of Canadians that were, only two years ago, seemingly on their way to stardom, and looking solidly employed.  Some, like Jackson, will have little trouble getting further employment, I hope. For others who are already released, or destined to be released, they may not see the pitch again.  Hence my sad face over Dunfield, as an example.  

Edgar never was super solidly employed by Burnley, but at times for the CMNT seemed our most talented defender on the ball, at least.  I truly hope he gets picked up, he has good qualities...at times when I watch him, the biggest thing he lacks in hustle, which is crucial for a defender, (or a central holding mid as well).  I could be wrong, though, I haven't seen him much outside of the CMNT.

But overall I like his game and hope he gets on somewhere.  Thanks for the update. 

I have been reading the Fortuna fan forum and they are just as pissed off as we are. They would have loved to keep him on. He really has impressed a lot of the German fans. Rumour has it that Sam wanted a professional contract, but that the club was only prepared to keep him in the second team with some playing time for the first team. But once again, this is pure speculation. I have no source that backs this, although it sounds reasonable.

perhaps I missed this, but did Kevin McKenna recently retire from professional football?  

His German wikipedia states: On May 5, 2014 McKenna announced after the expiry of his contract in Cologne, his career ended June 30, 2014. 

Too bad he didn't get a contract in Duesseldorf, but there's no need to panick. He will be signed by another D2 or maybe D3 team, which is perfect for him to play in. I don't really understand it from the club's point of view, if they could him loose. But it could also mean he has a nice offer in hand already.

Okay, I'm losing McKenna and Piette from Germany on the list...Piette will appear again somewhere, not sure if McKenna will.  He spent a LOT of time in Cologne, and I'm thinking being done there, for him, might mean being done.

Archived