NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caniggia Elva, Calgary SW United, starts trial with Arsenal on Tuesday. From club executive: "Caniggia went on trial to Stuttgart Germany, where he has been offered a contract to sign when he turns 18 in July. Since then, there has been interest from Barcelona, Benfica, and now Arsenal."

That's weird. He played in an inter squad match with the Caps last week.

That's weird. He played in an inter squad match with the Caps last week.

It's quite possible he came back from Germany before last week, played in the intra squad match with the Caps and will be off to London today.

Or are you saying it's weird that he's still playing for Vancouver while actively trialing in Europe? Maybe the Caps are still holding on to the slim hope he'll sign with them?

No, I just thought he'd join the residency. Lord Bob was saying he was already part of the U16s a few years back. I guess he might have been just trying to keep fit and hoping maybe to get a first team contract offer.

Oh, ok. Yeah, i don't know too much about this guy. First thing i did after seeing he was going to trial with Arsenal is see what his background was (i had done that a few months ago, but forgot that he was St. Lucian) and stumbled upon this squad list from Sept. 2011:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4291476

So did he go back to Calgary or has he been with Vancouver the whole time?

From an email i got from ANB Futbol:

"Additionally, two young Academy goalkeepers will stay behind in Europe for a one week trial in France:

Ali Ghazanfari (1997) and Noah Ryan (1999) will be showcasing their goalkeeping skills in the youth academy of the Ligue 2 professional club, Troyes."

Not sure either has a European passport, so this may not lead to either signing immediately, but it's good exposure.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would Napoli want a keeper who has been nailed to the bench in Turkey all season? Even when Reina leaves they will still have Rafael - who is young and in the Brazilian National Team pool, as well as a veteran Italian keeper who is pushing 40. Do they want to bring in Borjan as number 2 in anticipation of Colombo's retirement?

The only way I like this is if he goes out on loan to a decent team. I don't want one of our top keepers rotting on the bench, even if it is at Napoli.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would Napoli want a keeper who has been nailed to the bench in Turkey all season? Even when Reina leaves they will still have Rafael - who is young and in the Brazilian National Team pool, as well as a veteran Italian keeper who is pushing 40. Do they want to bring in Borjan as number 2 in anticipation of Colombo's retirement?

The only way I like this is if he goes out on loan to a decent team. I don't want one of our top keepers rotting on the bench, even if it is at Napoli.

As jpg said, Rafael is injured...from the sounds of everything I've been reading on this, they are signing Borjan on a "we need a bloody keeper right now" basis. If they are signing Borjan, it's probably with the intention of having him ahead of Colombo, and they need a number 2, because Reina doesn't play every game.

Since we do have youth players on the list, there are a couple of other ex Whitecaps residency guys playing abroad, but you may have to do some digging to finalize the details.

It seems that U17 CB Alex Comsia is now trialing at RC Strasbourg in France. After liquidation, the historic club is now in the third tier of French football, So technically a step down from Stade Lavallois Mayenne FC in Ligue 2 where he was before. Here is a video from earlier this month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4VhD-zo4b8

And here is an article I don't understand:

http://www.totalsportlive.com/alsace/12022014-alex-comsia-au-racing-44441/

Sebastian Cabrera is playing somewhere in Chile and complaining on twitter he is lonely.

He's a member of the club.

It says that he got a trial at Evian Thonon-Gaillard. He'll study marketing at Strasbourg while playing for their U19 team. The contact that helped him to go there was a former Strasbourg academy director named Mamadou Faly Basse.

^Comsia looks legit...added.

Napoli has signed 33 year old Spanish keeper Toni Doblas. At present, they are still considering Borjan as well, but he'd be behind Reina and (possibly) Doblas both in the depth chart. According to articles, anyways, as Doblas was their #1 target, apparently, leading up to the signing. So, for Napoli, what at first looked like a spot they were desperate to get someone in for (they obviously don't trust Colombo), now looks like a spot that could be overcrowded.

If I'm being honest, although they are saying they still have interest in Borjan, with the addition of Doblas, I think they got the man they want, so in my opinion, they will not be signing Borjan now. We'll have to wait and see. It should be noted also that Napoli is not confident that they will be able to hold on to Reina at the next transfer window. http://napolinewstime.com/calciomercato-napoli-per-il-bild-pepe-reina-potrebbe/

I will say this if he doesn't sign. All the positive media he's garnished from just the transfer rumors HAVE to be a positive. Just being linked to Napoli has his name circulating a lot more than it was, so perhaps his next move, if not to Naples, could be a decent one, still.

I will talk to my son. He is a classmate of a number of players on his SWU U18 team and Foothills (in green in video), including one getting schooled in the video below.

http://vimeo.com/74486492

Might want to take Cannigia Elva off Canadians Abroad. People I spoke to say he does not have Cdn citizenship yet despite living in Calgary since 2007. Working on clarification from someone who is very close to him.

Might want to take Cannigia Elva off Canadians Abroad. People I spoke to say he does not have Cdn citizenship yet despite living in Calgary since 2007. Working on clarification from someone who is very close to him.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/26/local-soccer-star-caniggia-ginola-elva-starstruck-after-earning-tryout-with-englands-arsenal-fc

“He’s better, but we don’t know what’s going to happen — ********** had the drive and determination to make it,” said Mifflin.

********** also chose to play for his father’s birthplace when the time came to choose an international side, and critics say the choice of England deprived Canadian kids of a valuable role model representing the maple leaf.

Mifflin says that won’t be repeated in Elva’s case.

Though his father, Titus ‘Titi’ Elva, was a St Lucian international, the younger Elva has already expressed a desire to play for Canada — once his long-awaited immigration papers are settled.

“He wants to play for Canada,” said Mifflin

Actually I have never added him :) Once the immigration paper are settled, he can be added, otherwise the proper thread for him is the Naturalization Watch thread? OR actually I'll list him with the color green soon maybe? :)

As for Tesho and Sebastian, I'll look into them after the weekend...been a long day and I'm heading up to Edmonton for a coaching seminar this weekend so I'll be busy

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/26/local-soccer-star-caniggia-ginola-elva-starstruck-after-earning-tryout-with-englands-arsenal-fc

“He’s better, but we don’t know what’s going to happen — ********** had the drive and determination to make it,” said Mifflin.

********** also chose to play for his father’s birthplace when the time came to choose an international side, and critics say the choice of England deprived Canadian kids of a valuable role model representing the maple leaf.

Mifflin says that won’t be repeated in Elva’s case.

Though his father, Titus ‘Titi’ Elva, was a St Lucian international, the younger Elva has already expressed a desire to play for Canada — once his long-awaited immigration papers are settled.

“He wants to play for Canada,” said Mifflin

This could be some karma coming our way for Teal Bunbury. Diferent country involved, but similar scenario. We might win one this time.

Archived