Steven Vitória

Yohan

i think it has more to do with money.  cavallini would be making more money working at mcdonalds than playing for Fenix on loan.  he is making the least coin of all the players on the CMNT radar.  

until he gets a new contract, he is going to focus on his club career.  at this stage of his career, one wrong move and he is back in league 1 ontario.  he will play when he can play.  right now he cant.  too much pressure on him and he has zero leverage.  

If this was true than why did Floro say back in October that he never even heard from Lucas? If he was concerned about his spot, his next contract as well as playing for the MNT then wouldn't he relay that to the coach and explain? Then when asked, Floro would say straight up, "Lucas is focusing on his career and he'll be with the MNT when he's comfortable."

I'm with brennanfan on this. Cavallini has a lot more to lose than most.

I also think he's under pressure to not play for Canada because there is absolutely zero prestige and benefit to do so from a South American football point of view. Uruguayans didn't respect Costa Rican football prior to the World Cup so quite likely they think Canada is a joke.

Cavallani is only a 92' I wouldn't write him totally off at this point. But if he doesn't show up this summer he won't be showing up anytime soon. Having said that nobody knows what the future will hold 5 years down the road. Lots of things can change in 5 years, both professionally and in his personal life and he may be willing to play. 

I'm with brennanfan on this. Cavallini has a lot more to lose than most.

I also think he's under pressure to not play for Canada because there is absolutely zero prestige and benefit to do so from a South American football point of view. Uruguayans didn't respect Costa Rican football prior to the World Cup so quite likely they think Canada is a joke.

Fair enough, that's something I hadn't considered.

WRT Teibert vs. Edgar at DM. I would move Edgar to CB and start Teibert alongside Johnson, with Hutch at the top of the diamond and Johnson being given licence to attack into the box on counter attacks, and push forward in transition.

I think Teibert and Johnson would compliment each other really well. Teibert breaking up plays and distributing, with Johnson destroying and pushing the ball forward in transition. Also, assuming Johnson still has his engine, they would easily be the hardest working midfield in CONCACAF, and no other midfield pairing would cover nearly as much ground per game.

WRT Edgar vs. other CB options. Edgar is better on the ball then all of them, with the possible exception of Jackvic, which is very important for Floro's system. I think the other CB options are possibly as good as Edgar in certain aspects of their game, but none are as well rounded.

Fair enough, that's something I hadn't considered.

Well it's not really a fair point.  Who cares what others think?  If you play for Canada and score against Colombia as he would have had the chance to do in October that would most definitely be respected and get his name out there in SA.

I had heard that he had a child in Uruguay and I think that's a more valid reason for being unavailable but still not really as he would be gone a week. We should force Cavallini to come through that FIFA law. ;)

Who knows what his situation is, it would be nice for him to clarify.  How are you going to big league a guy like Floro when you're just a loanee in Uruguay?

My guess?  Lucas is shook from Honduras 8-1.

Edited by Keegan

My guess? Lucas is shook from Honduras 8-1.

I hope not. Time for him to get over that now. It's been 3 years.

Just a speculation but I can see him just getting turned off by the attitudes of our guys if anything - because I sure as hell was.

*4-0 at the half*

"Yeah, it's just damage control at this point"

.... that still pisses me off to this day. Pathetic pathetic attitude.

This Cavalinni character for whatever reason has been staying away from the national team lately, look he is barely playing in the Uruguayan 1st tier not exactly the EPL or even the French League 1 how good can this league be? Would he even be an every day starter in the MLS, so you know what if he fails to show up this summer for Canada then it's his loss not Canada's because he has not done anything so far that warrants the national team begging for his services.  

What? Barely playing in uruguyan first division? .... He is one of the leading scorers in the league, nvm barely playing. 23 games and over 2000 minutes this season, his highest totals as a pro.

Hes definately done something to warrant a call up as nobody else is scoring as much as him. But not done enough for us to beg for his services. Give him a call. If he declines fine, his loss.

Edited by king1010

Floro has said that he has called him.  A few times.  I can't remember the quote, but the general feeling to me was that Floro would rather focus on the guys that did want to come to camps, and learn the system.  Without coming to the small games and learning the system, you shouldn't just waltz in, is my feeling.  

If Cavallini wants back into the fold, he should be calling Floro at this point.  We spend too much time courting and caring about players that clearly don't care to be here, when we should be celebrating the players that are here day in, day out.

My guess?  Lucas is shook from Honduras 8-1.

By shook, if you meant "emotionally disturbed", then I think it's the wrong guess. If the final result is enough to shake an individual psychologically, then he won't never become a pro athlete in the first place. If Cavallini's absence is related to the 8-1 loss, it's more likely he concluded there's a little possibility to win important things with the MNT. IMO, his decision to not play for the MNT is not related to the loss against Honduras.

Re: the 8-1 loss i would think it probable that there would have been in-fighting and finger pointing during and after the match. That type of behaviour could lead some to no longer want to be a part of that environment.

Re: the 8-1 loss i would think it probable that there would have been in-fighting and finger pointing during and after the match. That type of behaviour could lead some to no longer want to be a part of that environment.

Exactly.  Not to mention the ridicule he would have had to endure from his SA counterparts after the result.  Honduras wouldn't be a team respected by Uruguayans.

It's no coincidence that Lucas went from being a kid excited to be in the fold and itching to contribute to never showing up or even speaking with our federation.

Exactly.  Not to mention the ridicule he would have had to endure from his SA counterparts after the result.  Honduras wouldn't be a team respected by Uruguayans.

It's no coincidence that Lucas went from being a kid excited to be in the fold and itching to contribute to never showing up or even speaking with our federation.

For the second you are assuming Cavallini is mentally weak. Again, I can't see a character with such a feature become a pro athlete.

Or maybe...and this is just a crazy maybe...we're all just a bunch of bozos on computers making wild guesses about what a pro athete thinks or feels.

Can't argue with you there. Bottom line is he would be a great addition and I'm sure he'll be back when the games become more Important.

From a union beat written on twitter:

Talked to Steven Vitoria who said there's been some back and forth with the Canadian national team, but nothing concrete regarding a call up

Edited by pint

From a union beat written on twitter:

Talked to Steven Vitoria who said there's been some back and forth with the Canadian national team, but nothing concrete regarding a call up

Looks like he's given up on Portugual. 

Looks like he hasn't. Nothing concrete? That means he's not yet committed to Canada, which means he still considers Portugal an option...

@sportsdoctormd has he given up on Portugal and ready to commit to Canada?

I think that's the general idea. If he gets a Canada call, he'll consider it. None seems forthcoming from Portugal

"general idea" is he has given up on Portugal from the philly beat guy

Edited by king1010

• jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória