2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

1 hour ago, admin said:

Does the 12 apply to a single country, or does having three involved change it? 

Given there is a first stage for the extra teams.... why would you need more stadiums? 

32 team World Cup has 64 matches.

8 groups of 4 = 48 matches.

16 team knockout + 3/4 match = 16 matches.

48 team World Cup has 80 matches.

16 groups of 3 = 48 matches.

32 team knockout + 3/4 match = 32 matches.

So, 25% more matches overall.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, admin said:

Given there is a first stage for the extra teams.... why would you need more stadiums? 

I think you are remembering one of the proposed formats where the top 16 teams or something get a bye past the first round. As dsqpr pointed out, that isn’t happening.

2 hours ago, admin said:

I just tried a bit to find info on this question and didn’t find anything. I didn’t see any mention of minimum number of venues, just minimum capacity for each round/game.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

I think you are remembering one of the proposed formats where the top 16 teams or something get a bye past the first round. As dsqpr pointed out, that isn’t happening.

Oh they changed it?   I wonder what titanic forces push all that stuff around. 

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Oh they changed it?   I wonder what titanic forces push all that stuff around. 

It's not that it was changed exactly, what you are remembering was one of a number of options that they were considering before they made the final call. I think that was in the days when they were still deciding between a 40 team tournament and 48 teams. What you are remembering I think might have been highlighted as Infantino's favourite option or something.

According to this article we now have 17 votes with Central America also voting for us (not too much of a surprise given their proximity), so instead of it being 18 to 1 in favour of Morrocco (as it was on the weekend), its now 18-17;

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3455119/conmebol-endorses-north-american-joint-bid-to-host-2026-world-cup

I have a feeling this may be the last World Cup handed out with a traditional bidding process.  FIFA wants to go down the route of charging hosting fees for the proposed new Club World Cup.  When they realize they can get billions to sell the hosting rights to the real World Cup they'll do it.  In hindsight they could've charged Qatar tens of billions for the privelege.  

I see that Trump called it "the U.S. bid"... :)

And the tweet seems to be about more than just football.

"It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don't support us (including at the United Nations)?," Trump tweeted Thursday.

On 2018-04-26 at 9:18 PM, dsqpr said:

I see that Trump called it "the U.S. bid"... :)

And the tweet seems to be about more than just football.

It is the U.S. bid, he just missed the "& friends" part. 

I rather our resources go into the CANPL or put into our NT programs, to ensure that we qualify for the WCs in 2022 or 2026 ... And by 2030 we launch a bid by our damn selves since you knowww were the only ones out of the three who haven't hosted, but still get the short end of the bid. 

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I rather our resources go into the CANPL or put into our NT programs, to ensure that we qualify for the ECs in 2022 or 2026 ... And by 2030 we launch a bid by our damn selves since you knowww were the only ones out of the three who haven't hosted, but still get the short end of the bid. 

that probably won't happen

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I rather our resources go into the CANPL or put into our NT programs, to ensure that we qualify for the ECs in 2022 or 2026 ... And by 2030 we launch a bid by our damn selves since you knowww were the only ones out of the three who haven't hosted, but still get the short end of the bid. 

By 2030, there will be 150 teams in it and it will only be hosted by continents. 

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Just wait till he finds out Mexico is involved:  "This is why we need THE WALL! I just found out Mexico has attached themselves to OUR bid! Just like all the rapists and drug dealers streaming over our borders! #MAGA"

I'm sure all the Mexicans illegally entering the U.S. are all fine upstanding law abiding citizens. Well, other than the fact they are illegally entering the country of course...

Archived