2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

If Morocco wins is there any chance of having a 32 team tournament? 48 teams is so stupid.

Acutally, it's 3-team groups I have a problem with.

It means a 2 game world cup for 66% of the teams involved. All the blood, sweat and tears of qualifying for 2 games? That's just dumb, I am sorry.

Here's your reason:

World Cup expansion to 48 teams could net FIFA extra $640M

The best and most profitable way to expand the World Cup is a 48-team tournament of 16 three-team groups, according to FIFA's in-house research which accepts the current 32-nation format produces the highest quality soccer.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3911496

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

If Morocco wins is there any chance of having a 32 team tournament? 48 teams is so stupid.

Acutally, it's 3-team groups I have a problem with.

It means a 2 game world cup for 66% of the teams involved. All the blood, sweat and tears of qualifying for 2 games? That's just dumb, I am sorry.

Another massive problem is the greatly increased chances that the two teams playing the final group match could both advance with a particular result (this is apparently called a "biscotto"). This actually happened at the 1982 World Cup, where West Germany and Austria played out a sham of a 1-0 win for the Germans and both advanced.

Sportsnet article from yesterday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fifas-white-elephants-warning-morocco-bid-criticism/

I haven't read much of the article yet, but I thought this part was interesting.

"Morocco, by contrast, has to build or renovate all 14 stadiums and up to 150 training grounds". That's a lot more training grounds than I would have thought. Does anybody know what would qualify as a valid training ground? If we assume the ratio is about 10 per stadium, would a successful bid for us mean there would have to be some amount of work done on local fields in the areas of the cities that are picked? Probably at a minimum it would require some level of security beyond a small chain link fence.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

"Morocco, by contrast, has to build or renovate all 14 stadiums and up to 150 training grounds". 

That is a crazy number! How do they need more than two - four per venue?!?!

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Dont the individual clubs get there own independent facilities??  Not sure if that helps get the number all the way up to 150 training grounds.  

Yep, but that is still nowhere near 150.

28 = 14 venues x 2 grounds for training for the teams playing the next day 
+32 = team training venues
  ----
  60 =  training grounds needed.

How do they need more than double that number?!?

29 minutes ago, ted said:

Yep, but that is still nowhere near 150.

28 = 14 venues x 2 grounds for training for the teams playing the next day 
+32 = team training venues
  ----
  60 =  training grounds needed.

How do they need more than double that number?!?

Fifa math??  Plus wouldnt it be 48 teams??  16 groups of 3....32 training venues, plus 48....umm that woulds still only be 80. You sure we are not comparing apples and oranges??  If facilities includes hotels it makes more sense.

I pulled this off the wiki page.  

Team & referee facilities[edit]

FIFA established minimum requirements for team and referee facilities.[31]

Facilities Number
Team base camp training Sites 48 (with 72 proposals)
Team base camp hotels 48 (with 72 proposals)
Venue-specific training sites 2–4 per stadium (with 4 proposals per stadium)
Venue-specific team hotels 2–4 per stadium (with 4 proposals per stadium)
Referee base camp training sites 1 (with 2 proposed)
Referee base camp hotels 1 (with 2 proposed)

22 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Ol Sepp can still influence a crowd. 

6392584A-2318-4491-8A97-6B4CBEAB25C6.jpeg

I think that picture deserves a caption contest. Look at the cat's facial expression! What is it thinking?!!

My submission: Leave those fingers on my back for one more second and you are going to have trouble counting all your ill gotten gains!

Who are we expecting to vote for the United bid? All I ever hear about is countries supporting Morocco, assumptions/rumours that Africa, Europe, and the Caribbean will support Morocco. And then I hear that the United bid is still the favourite. Who is voting for us other than Saudi Arabia? Do we have Asia, Oceania, and Central America?

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Who are we expecting to vote for the United bid? All I ever hear about is countries supporting Morocco, assumptions/rumours that Africa, Europe, and the Caribbean will support Morocco. And then I hear that the United bid is still the favourite. Who is voting for us other than Saudi Arabia? Do we have Asia, Oceania, and Central America?

FIFA could reject the Morocco bid. 

53 minutes ago, Kent said:

Um, what? So we have what many believe to be the least suitable host nation ever, and they want to expand the tournament at the last second? CONMEBOL is drunk.

Given it's done in stages, then I don't think they need any more infrastructure. 

3 hours ago, admin said:

Given it's done in stages, then I don't think they need any more infrastructure. 

Isn't the Qatar Premier League in need of a few more 40,000 seat stadiums though? Eight seems a little low...

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Then why is Qatar allowed only 8 stadiums but 2026 bids need 12?

Does the 12 apply to a single country, or does having three involved change it? 

Given there is a first stage for the extra teams.... why would you need more stadiums? 

Archived