2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also with regards to stadiums being usable...the only one I could possibly see is BC Place and even then that would have to get real grass in there somehow (unless FIFA allows the artificial).  But Toronto and Montreal? New stadiums, without question.  

If this bid is successful Mexico will become the first ever nation to host/co-host the World Cup three times......frankly I think they should feel lucky they are involved at all as I don't think a solo bid vs. the other two nations would stand any sort of chance. I suspect this is why they are getting such few games (no bargaining power), although I'm still surprised its as few as 1/8th. Its us that are getting the shaft here under the current proposal. Even 50/15/15 would be much more palatable. That we are only getting 10 games suggests 3 stadiums at the most for me and I'm guessing the three which have MLS teams.

I just hope that this doesn't mean that Canada gets three group games in different parts of the country and we fly our team back and forth between games, tiring us out unnecessarily. I'd rather have Canada play in one venue in the group stage and that's it. Don't care where at the moment - if I have to fly to Vancouver to see Canada play in the World Cup, I'm perfectly fine with that.

5 minutes ago, CrossCheck said:

um, don't forget about CalgaryNEXT. I could see an Olympic bid and a FIFA WC game being used to justify that stadium. 

No, you should completely forget about CalgaryNEXT. The proposal was DOA in the public's eye when it was proposed, and we're now 18 months after the fact.

20 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If this bid is successful Mexico will become the first ever nation to host/co-host the World Cup three times......frankly I think they should feel lucky they are involved at all as I don't think a solo bid vs. the other two nations would stand any sort of chance. I suspect this is why they are getting such few games (no bargaining power), although I'm still surprised its as few as 1/8th. Its us that are getting the shaft here under the current proposal. Even 50/15/15 would be much more palatable. That we are only getting 10 games suggests 3 stadiums at the most for me and I'm guessing the three which have MLS teams.

I just hope that this doesn't mean that Canada gets three group games in different parts of the country and we fly our team back and forth between games, tiring us out unnecessarily. I'd rather have Canada play in one venue in the group stage and that's it. Don't care where at the moment - if I have to fly to Vancouver to see Canada play in the World Cup, I'm perfectly fine with that.

As the Mexican Prez said today, the southern US matches in Cali and Texas will essentially be home games for them too

3 hours ago, AC_Slater said:

Again, you guys are missing the big picture.. we should be pushing for Canada to get an auto-qualification spot... which right now isn't guaranteed if this bid is accepted.

If Japan and South Korea can both get an automatic entry in a 32 team tournament them I don't understand the issue with 3 teams getting auto entry in a 48 team tourney.

If we are a host and not in the tourney that is the stupidest thing ever.

Even Alexi Lalas thinks we automatically qualify, and that dude is the biggest US homer in the world. I think this "We aren't getting an auto bid" theory needs to be put to rest until we see proof that it would be the case.

Seriously, for most concacaf countries this will STILL be the easiest qualifying in CONCACAF history. 3 auto spots and mexico and the US are already removed from the equation. Also, one team gets an invite to that weird pre-tourny tourny thing too. So 4 chances and US and Mexico are removed.

37 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Kristian Jack mentions that Canada getting automatic spot in world cup seems to be a key part of the bid.

http://www.tsn.ca/what-we-learned-from-canada-s-world-cup-bid-1.720820

Interesting watching the actual announcement video that Sunil Gulati says that FIFA would have the final say on how many games each country would get to host.

53 minutes ago, Floortom said:

As the Mexican Prez said today, the southern US matches in Cali and Texas will essentially be home games for them too

If they play there.....I would imagine all of Mexico's group games would be in Mexico (otherwise, they can be the country that doesn't get an automatic host spot out of the three if it comes to that).

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

I bet you CSA went to federal govt and asked for money to improve and build some new stadiums. Feds asked how much and balked at the number. And asked CSA what's the plan for using the newly built stadiums after WC and CSA said we don't know. 

I'm pretty sure the MLS teams would have been all over that so I doubt the conversation went that way.

On second thought...what the hell?! The format is moving from 48 group stage games to 80. So the USA is getting an entire current standard World Cup + 12 games. Should be 50/15/15...or something along that ratio.

Bad math: total games is going from 64 to 80. 

3 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Is this based on something you've seen? It's my understanding the automatic spots haven't been decided yet. 

No just an educated assumption. We make it to the hex (top 6) nexy cycle would be a good point on our sides towards us being given the automatic birth as in 2026 6 CONCACAF teams get in

45 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Even Alexi Lalas thinks we automatically qualify, and that dude is the biggest US homer in the world. I think this "We aren't getting an auto bid" theory needs to be put to rest until we see proof that it would be the case.

Seriously, for most concacaf countries this will STILL be the easiest qualifying in CONCACAF history. 3 auto spots and mexico and the US are already removed from the equation. Also, one team gets an invite to that weird pre-tourny tourny thing too. So 4 chances and US and Mexico are removed.

The World Cup host confederation gets a bonus spot in the qualification playoff.  So, it's 3 automatics and 2 playoff spots in total.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

If Japan and South Korea can both get an automatic entry in a 32 team tournament them I don't understand the issue with 3 teams getting auto entry in a 48 team tourney.

If we are a host and not in the tourney that is the stupidest thing ever.

I think the problem is they would qualify anyways. Us on the other hand....

7 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

What was BMO capacity for the final? Wonder if renos would include adding stands in the north end permanently. Possibly booting the Argos again?

36K.  The World Cup minimum is 40 so a North Stand will have to be built

On the topic of venues,  How about taking off the Big O roof and growing grass for that summer??

Wow just watched the press conference on TSN. Canada and Mexico only getting to host 10 GAMES while the US will host 60! WTF!? How did I know we would get screwed on this. Why didn't the US just put in a solo bid if they wanted to eat 3/4 of the cake!?

9 minutes ago, FIAF said:

Canada & Mexico should exit this. 75% of the event in the USA and split the rest. Just let the US bid alone. 

although its a shit deal. I kind of want to be in a world cup

5 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Am I the only one who is fine with this bid? Not dumping money into a bunch of white elephants, getting some infrastructure in our biggest markets that will be used after the tourny leaves, getting kids excited about soccer, and (probably) getting our team in a world cup?

I wouldn't want to build a crap ton of new stadiums to host this thing solo, what a waste!

Thank you for making sense. The automatic bid is nothing to sneeze at either. It means that our country now has a deadline (assuming we win). Ready or not, we will be in the World Cup in 2026. We have nine years to get our shit together and put our best foot forward when the eyes of the world will be upon us.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic but media that traditionally turns a blind eye to soccer will be forced to cover us in the lead up to the World Cup because it's a big deal. People and organizations that stand in the way of our men's program improving will get exposed.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Even just a joint US/Canada bid makes more sense. Just weird all round.

Hypothetical: Canada and U.S. were discussion a joint bid. Mexico caught wind of this and didn't want to miss out. They agreed to host only ten games in exchange some combination of win certainty, revenue sharing or financial guarantees.

30 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Wow just watched the press conference on TSN. Canada and Mexico only getting to host 10 GAMES while the US will host 60! WTF!? How did I know we would get screwed on this. Why didn't the US just put in a solo bid if they wanted to eat 3/4 of the cake!?

It was a negotiation and they had the most money. It sucks but that's the reality.

Why did they bid with us? Probably because we have a guy on the inside (Mont Vic) and probably because there are some lingering anti-American sentiments inside FIFA. Let's not forget two things: 1) that it was the U.S. Department of Justice that busted 22 FIFA officials and 2) the U.S. had very strong bid for 2022 and still lost.

The proposed breakdown for 2026 would comprise: Europe 16 teams (13 currently); Africa 9 (5); Asia 8.5 (4.5), South America 6 (4.5), Concacaf 6.5 (3.5), Oceania 1 (0.5), Host nation 1 (1). This would be good for Canada as even if all three hosts get an automatic berth, CONCACAF would still have 4.5 spots available. Based on this reasoning, I bet we get an automatic berth. It would also help convince dual citizens to think hard about leaving Canada. 

Archived