2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mrstepp817 said:

Surprised as well......guessing two sites in Canada?? Toronto and Vancouver??

I could see still using three venues to spread the games around a bit: 3,3 4

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Is that confirmed?  If so, it seems... underwhelming.

That is what they are saying in New York as I type. That is their proposal right now, They did say FIFA could change it.

BTW quarterfinals and beyond all in the US.

1 minute ago, spinrack said:

Likely the Canadian contingent would have difficulty raising enough money to host more matches than that, especially after the massive cost overruns during the BC Place renovation.

That makes no sense. With even 20 games we wouldn't be taking about building new stadiums. The venue rentals are paid for from tickets sales and sponsorship money.

Getting the World Cup alone would be huge for the game in our country.  It'd be nice if there were more games, but if it's only ten then it's only ten.  They did say though that FIFA has the final say on the breakdown of games and that this is their suggestion.

Just now, Rheo said:

Getting the World Cup alone would be huge for the game in our country.  It'd be nice if there were more games, but if it's only ten then it's only ten.  They did say though that FIFA has the final say on the breakdown of games and that this is their suggestion.

Yeah, but if the three bidding countries have agreed on that formula, I think the odds of FIFA stepping in and reallocating games are pretty slim. 

Just now, ted said:

That makes no sense. With even 20 games we wouldn't be taking about building new stadiums. The venue rentals are paid for from tickets sales and sponsorship money.

I think with more than 10 matches, they would have to seriously consider refurbishment or replacement of Olympic Stadium.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

WTF is the point of that?  75% of the tourney in the US, including all QF games and beyond?  What a fucking joke.

I'm honestly not surprised that Canada only has 10 games - would've been nice to have more, but it doesn't seem entirely inappropriate for our population.

But Mexico is absolutely getting shafted by this.  Feels less like a joint bid, and more like an American bid with a few token games in other countries.

18 minutes ago, ted said:

Holy crap, 60 games for the US, 10 for Canada, 10 for Mexico?

Didn't think it would be that lopsided. I would have thought 40, 20 and 20.

So our FA was gutless. Well, another wasted opportunity no doubt. Like the Women's World Cup and u20 World Cup before it, our "co-hosted" World Cup will be another wasted opportunity for infrastructure improvement and development. I'm surprised after two events so far, all we have to show from them is a bare-bones BMO stadium that cost $60 million CDN to make.

Just now, spinrack said:

I think with more than 10 matches, they would have to seriously consider refurbishment or replacement of Olympic Stadium.

It would be great to leverage the tournament to get a renovation. Still easily achievable.

Negotiations? someone must have had a weapon pointed at their heads or Mexico and Canada have poor negotiators. Fuc**** unbelievable.

I'm seriously disappointed and pissed off and I know it will be even worse on the Mexican side

Seems like they have no appetite to let go of the opener either...:angry::(

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm honestly not surprised that Canada only has 10 games - would've been nice to have more, but it doesn't seem entirely inappropriate for our population.

But Mexico is absolutely getting shafted by this.  Feels less like a joint bid, and more like an American bid with a few token games in other countries.

That is where I am at.  It sure feels like we were used as an appendix to the US bid as a way of increasing their palatability while retaining the lion's share (by far) of the benefits.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

That is where I am at.  It sure feels like we were used as an appendix to the US bid as a way of increasing their palatability while retaining the lion's share (by far) of the benefits.

"We talked to the President and he's overjoyed that the Mexican team will play in Mexico"

Archived