2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA enacts some minimum hosting criteria before giving everyone an automatic entry - something like having to host at least 35% of the matches or something.

This would be the biggest argument to give Mexico and Canada more games. Still, the USSF could easily not care but I understand FIFA if they deemed 10 games insufficient to warrant an automatic spot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I know this is your fear, but I really can't see it.  Host region always gets a bonus spot to start with as well.  It would make no sense for FIFA to block the auto-bid on this one.

In this case either it takes up half of the CONCACAF spots, or it means that there are 3 less teams qualifying from other regions, not sure any of those associations will find that paletable.

This isn't just my concern, this has been speculated upon elsewhere too.

Just now, Ansem said:

This would be the biggest argument to give Mexico and Canada more games. Still, the USSF could easily not care but I understand FIFA if they deemed 10 games insufficient to warrant an automatic spot

Montagliani runs Concacaf, he had a major hand in putting together this bid.. I wouldn't hold my breath that FIFA is fixing this oversight when all the countries have already agreed to it.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Rather than worrying about the number of games Canada is getting, we should really be pushing for something that still hasn't been announced: Getting Canada to host the opening game.  The US sounds like they want it, but if they're getting all of quarterfinals and on then this is something that we could possibly still get.

Oh yeah! ? That would really change my outlook on this colassal goat fuck of a bid.  ?

Just now, mrstepp817 said:

The issue is the American public has the stomach to use public money to build stadia....that stomach is much less in Canada....it takes a lot of work in some places to get things done w/public funds....

I live in Dallas and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones put up 500 million of his own money to build AT&T and then city of Arlington financed the rest through a rental car/hotel tax....they didn't want to tax the citizens so they just decided to tax visitors...

Not sure I agree with this totally.  It's tending to be less and less public money for stadiums especially with votes (St Louis and San Diego)  But yeah that's why a Canadian solo bid will never fly.  There's not the will of the majority of Canadians to fund the stadiums needed to host.

My question though is are the US going to have to build stadiums though?  Between their NFL stadiums and the large number of SSS now I don't really see the need.

2 minutes ago, AC_Slater said:

In this case either it takes up half of the CONCACAF spots, or it means that there are 3 less teams qualifying from other regions, not sure any of those associations will find that paletable.

This isn't just my concern, this has been speculated upon elsewhere too.

US and Mexico are virtual locks anyways, so that's 2 of the 6. It's not a stretch to think Canada gets one as well.

Just now, mrstepp817 said:

I highly doubt the US builds any stadiums..it'd be silly...

Yes its getting tougher and tougher even here to push through stadiums w/public money...

Is there any way humanly possible to reno the big O into something that's not a useless pile of garbage or is it too late for that?

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Montagliani runs Concacaf, he had a major hand in putting together this bid.. I wouldn't hold my breath that FIFA is fixing this oversight when all the countries have already agreed to it.

But it's still FIFA's tournament. They can do whatever they want and have done so relentlessly throughout the history of the tournament.

Another play would be to let the USSF dictate whatever they want since there's no way Mexico or Canada could do anything to gain more but FIFA can. Perhaps Montagliani could use his position as VIce President to get FIFA to change some parts of the bid so it looks less one sided

9 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Am I the only one who is fine with this bid? Not dumping money into a bunch of white elephants, getting some infrastructure in our biggest markets that will be used after the tourny leaves, getting kids excited about soccer, and (probably) getting our team in a world cup?

I wouldn't want to build a crap ton of new stadiums to host this thing solo, what a waste!

I mean, sure, in a perfect world it would've been nice to host say, 15 games or so. But yeah, I'm fine with this.

Mexico should be PISSSSSSED.

No, I'm fine with the Canadian aspect as well, though I would've liked 15 better as you do.

My discontent is moreso about this being an American bid as opposed to a true joint bid of equals, as shown by the low Mexican participation.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

But it's still FIFA's tournament. They can do whatever they want and have done so relentlessly throughout the history of the tournament.

Another play would be to let the USSF dictate whatever they want since there's no way Mexico or Canada could do anything to gain more but FIFA can. Perhaps Montagliani could use his position as VIce President to get FIFA to change some parts of the bid so it looks less one sided

Yeah, it's not impossible that Vic is playing both sides of this - get the Americans to agree to a joint bid and then work with FIFA to change the details of that agreement.

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Is there any way humanly possible to reno the big O into something that's not a useless pile of garbage or is it too late for that?

This is a great question...wonder if its more cost effective to build something new?? Maybe retro it for a future baseball stadium for the return of the Expos??

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

No, I'm fine with the Canadian aspect as well, though I would've liked 15 better as you do.

My discontent is moreso about this being an American bid as opposed to a true joint bid of equals, as shown by the low Mexican participation.

That's a fair point. How many people are upset about this because it's the US stealing the limelight?

if it was like Canada 10, Mexico 35, USA 35 would people have been cooler with it?

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

That's a fair point. How many people are upset about this because it's the US stealing the limelight?

if it was like Canada 10, Mexico 35, USA 35 would people have been cooler with it?

I want to say no, but after looking at those numbers for a while, I can't come up with something reasonable that isn't only off by a few numbers for each.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Montagliani led the negotiations, dude. The CSA signed off on this already and were not coerced into it. Same old same old where our national association is concerned.

Not that I care about your opinion at this point but at the end of the day, FIFA basically takes control once the host is picked

Legitimately surprised, was sure we were going to see 20:20:40, and was expecting to see table flipping over that

If we had a QF or SF in there, it's be more palatable, but this feels like a bit of a letdown, as much as it can be a letdown to confirm we are attempting to get WC games and an autoberth

Still excited to attend every game I can 

Just now, Ansem said:

Not that I care about your opinion at this point but at the end of the day, FIFA basically takes control once the host is picked

I gotta agree with BBTB on this one. No, this is not me doing a random heel turn that WCW from the late 90s was all too well known for. Our FA fully went with this. Why would FIFA step in?

5 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Us getting automatic qualification could home down to whether we make the hex in the next world cup cycle

Is this based on something you've seen? It's my understanding the automatic spots haven't been decided yet. 

5 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I gotta agree with BBTB on this one. No, this is not me doing a random heel turn that WCW from the late 90s was all too well known for. Our FA fully went with this. Why would FIFA step in?

Then I think we deserve an explanation to why things went down like this because I wouldn't want to be the Mexican Federation who's guaranteed to get grilled over Azteca not getting any QF or SM games. You know that the Mexican FA will have to say something, I hope the CSA gives us a good explanation.

Anything less than "10 games allows us to prove that we can host in the future" or "we're front runner's for the opening ceremony" and it's BS.

Archived