2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Well, at the very least, Toronto should be building a new venue for this IMO. Both BMO field and Rogers centre are like FIFA 2 and 3 star venues at best lol

That depends on the matches.  BMO currently is probably good enough for some group stage matches.
Olympic Stadium will need renovations of some sort to host anything at all.
Realistically, BC Place is the only stadium in Canada that is currently up to the standard required for quarters, semis, or finals.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, spinrack said:

That depends on the matches.  BMO currently is probably good enough for some group stage matches.
Olympic Stadium will need renovations of some sort to host anything at all.
Realistically, BC Place is the only stadium in Canada that is currently up to the standard required for quarters, semis, or finals.

Good thing the US is hosting all of those.

lol at the 10 games......some will say "meh at least we got our automatic birth to the World Cup Finals"

What's interesting is that only 3 spots are available for the rest of CONCACAF, which indirectly means it's harder to qualify.

All in all, I'm not surprised....this was a feel good move.

Looks like the almighty dollar has spoken again.  Very disappointing that Canada and Mexico are only going to host 10 games apiece.  One can only hope that this minimal level of involvement will still captivate and motivate everyone to the nth degree and help create a positive change for the MNT program going forward.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Good thing the US is hosting all of those.

The whole thing seems intentionally structured so that Canada doesn't overreach in terms of the amount of planning and infrastructure that we're capable of providing..
It sucks for fans, because we won't get so many matches, but from a feasibility/risk/fiscal standpoint, it's probably exactly the level of commitment that the Canadian federation wants to make.

Just now, spinrack said:

The whole thing seems intentionally structured so that Canada doesn't overreach in terms of the amount of planning and infrastructure that we're capable of providing..
It sucks for fans, because we won't get so many matches, but from a feasibility/risk/fiscal standpoint, it's probably exactly the level of commitment that the Canadian federation wants to make.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not overly disappointed in only getting 10 matches, though 15 or so would've been preferable.

Mexico's the one I'm sad for.  They should've been treated far more equal to the US than they have been.

I know people are annoyed at 10 games, but when you start doing the math it makes a bit of sense.  If you figure 3 cities in Canada gets you about 3 or 4 games, and then start breaking down 60 games in the US, that's about 15-20 venues.  They'll easily have that many wanting to host games.  So it's probably a bit more about "number of games per city" than it is per country.  I can't see it not being Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal hosting the 10 games.  Nothing else makes sense.

Just now, Watchmen said:

I know people are annoyed at 10 games, but when you start doing the math it makes a bit of sense.  If you figure 3 cities in Canada gets you about 3 or 4 games, and then start breaking down 60 games in the US, that's about 15-20 venues.  They'll easily have that many wanting to host games.  So it's probably a bit more about "number of games per city" than it is per country.  I can't see it not being Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal hosting the 10 games.  Nothing else makes sense.

If it's grass though will the powers that be in Vancouver be willing to tear up the turf in BC Place and install grass?

Just now, Watchmen said:

I'd bet on those three as well, but I wonder whether they'll try to fill out the midwest with some combination of Winnipeg, Minnesota, and Chicago.

And we know comes 2042-2046 times, the US will bid again, forever their own. Not like they will ever let Canada and Mexico have a shot without them stepping in every single time.

That's a United States World Cup as far as I'm concerned. Soon we'll learn that the US get the opening game as well. Gulati seemed very non-committal into giving up the opener. 

28 minutes ago, spinrack said:

I think with more than 10 matches, they would have to seriously consider refurbishment or replacement of Olympic Stadium.

Buddy just look at the last 10 pages of this thread and you'll find that was stated like 5 times

2 minutes ago, spinrack said:

It still sucks that Canada and Mexico get no quarters/semis/final.
Would have made more sense to give them both a quarter- or semi-.

For the good of the game in North America, if that is what this bid was truly about, then that is exactly what should have happened. 

Guys, it doesn't suck for Mexico at all......Yes they could've had more games in their country....but there is millions on top of millions of Mexicans in the US. So from a support standpoint....All Mexico games (if any) in the states will be home games for them as we have seen in the past

I'm also surprised people are taking about renovations to the Big O and putting grass in BC Place. The last four hosts built a tonne of brand new stadiums for their World Cups. The least we can do is build three modern day stadiums for our MLS teams.

Just now, Macksam said:

I'm also surprised people are taking about renovations to the Big O and putting grass in BC Place. The last four hosts built a tonne of brand new stadiums for their World Cups. The least we can do is build three modern day stadiums for our MLS teams.

With 40k plus stadium capacity?

You must like the BC place drapery. 

ROFL.  Keep on dreaming, man.

The stadiums would need to be 60 thousand plus. Our MLS teams won't be able to fill those stadiums consistantly for another 10-15 years.

Archived