2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/8/2017 at 8:30 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Is it possible that the bid goes unopposed?

With Europe and Asia out and the last WC coming from South America that really only leaves Africa.  Which country in Africa is going to be creating a bid for this?

en.as.com/en/2017/03/07/football

Morocco, Portugal and Spain have also informed FIFA of their intention to launch a joint bid. 

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I know people are annoyed at 10 games, but when you start doing the math it makes a bit of sense.  If you figure 3 cities in Canada gets you about 3 or 4 games, and then start breaking down 60 games in the US, that's about 15-20 venues.  They'll easily have that many wanting to host games.  So it's probably a bit more about "number of games per city" than it is per country.  I can't see it not being Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal hosting the 10 games.  Nothing else makes sense.

Maximum of 12 stadiums bud

11 minutes ago, johnyb said:

en.as.com/en/2017/03/07/football

Morocco, Portugal and Spain have also informed FIFA of their intention to launch a joint bid. 

not allowed

13 minutes ago, farrelld said:

The stadiums would need to be 60 thousand plus. Our MLS teams won't be able to fill those stadiums consistantly for another 10-15 years.

For group stages and round of 32? Only 40000 plus and 10-15 years makes sense. 2026 is 9 years away.

14 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

With 40k plus stadium capacity?

You must like the BC place drapery. 

Again, 2026 is a long time away.

13 minutes ago, spinrack said:

ROFL.  Keep on dreaming, man.

So you want Canada to become a case study on being known for "hosting" a World Cup that had the least impact on said host country? Fitting I guess. Goes well with country that has no national league.

At this point, only FIFA could step in and say that they don't like how the games are distributed between the 3 nations.

Seems Canadians will roll over yet again, the Mexican Federation better brace themselves for an avalanche of complains. I already gave my feedback to the CSA twitter and website.

Just now, Ansem said:

At this point, only FIFA could step in and say that they don't like how the games are distributed between the 3 nations.

Seems Canadians will roll over yet again, the Mexican Federation better brace themselves for an avalanche of complains. I already gave my feedback to the CSA twitter and website.

Yeah, I will be following suit tonight.  Not via twitter, but somehow. 

1 minute ago, mrstepp817 said:

Politics seem to prevent new stadia from being built...I think best case is BC Place, a temporary expansion at BMO and if no renovation at Big O, Commonwealth??

There's no such things but the US seemed to have drill that argument home to justify stealing all those games. Any country is free to do whatever it wants when bidding

5 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Politics seem to prevent new stadia from being built...I think best case is BC Place, a temporary expansion at BMO and if no renovation at Big O, Commonwealth??

A temporary expansion at BMO? This is 2026. BMO field will be larger than it is now in 2026 whether there are World Cup games or not.

Rather than worrying about the number of games Canada is getting, we should really be pushing for something that still hasn't been announced: Getting Canada to host the opening game.  The US sounds like they want it, but if they're getting all of quarterfinals and on then this is something that we could possibly still get.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Rather than worrying about the number of games Canada is getting, we should really be pushing for something that still hasn't been announced: Getting Canada to host the opening game.  The US sounds like they want it, but if they're getting all of quarterfinals and on then this is something that we could possibly still get.

Again, you guys are missing the big picture.. we should be pushing for Canada to get an auto-qualification spot... which right now isn't guaranteed if this bid is accepted.

21 minutes ago, AC_Slater said:

Hope you guys realize that there is talk that FIFA may be wary of handing out 3 Auto bids... so there is consideration that Canada and Mexico may still need to qualify through conventional means.

Stop putting the cart before the horse.

I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA enacts some minimum hosting criteria before giving everyone an automatic entry - something like having to host at least 35% of the matches or something.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA enacts some minimum hosting criteria before giving everyone an automatic entry - something like having to host at least 35% of the matches or something.

It's honestly what should be our biggest issue.. can you imagine hosting 1/8 of the games but not even being in the tournament?

2 minutes ago, AC_Slater said:

Again, you guys are missing the big picture.. we should be pushing for Canada to get an auto-qualification spot... which right now isn't guaranteed if this bid is accepted.

I know this is your fear, but I really can't see it.  Host region always gets a bonus spot to start with as well.  It would make no sense for FIFA to block the auto-bid on this one.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I have no faith in our "negotiators"

The US seems in no mood to give up anything. It's a long shot at this point. At least the Mexican representative showed very little enthusiasm during the press conference while Canada seemed like the unpopular kid that was chosen last.

This country needs to grow the F UP!  

Am I the only one who is fine with this bid? Not dumping money into a bunch of white elephants, getting some infrastructure in our biggest markets that will be used after the tourny leaves, getting kids excited about soccer, and (probably) getting our team in a world cup?

I wouldn't want to build a crap ton of new stadiums to host this thing solo, what a waste!

I mean, sure, in a perfect world it would've been nice to host say, 15 games or so. But yeah, I'm fine with this.

Mexico should be PISSSSSSED.

The issue is the American public has the stomach to use public money to build stadia (right or wrong but hey if they vote for it they gotta live w/it)....that stomach is much less in Canada....it takes a lot of work in some places to get things done w/public funds....

I live in Dallas and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones put up 500 million of his own money to build AT&T and then city of Arlington financed the rest through a rental car/hotel tax....they didn't want to tax the citizens so they just decided to tax visitors...

Archived