2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

2 minutes ago, hectorj said:

The proposed breakdown for 2026 would comprise: Europe 16 teams (13 currently); Africa 9 (5); Asia 8.5 (4.5), South America 6 (4.5), Concacaf 6.5 (3.5), Oceania 1 (0.5), Host nation 1 (1). This would be good for Canada as even if all three hosts get an automatic berth, CONCACAF would still have 4.5 spots available. Based on this reasoning, I bet we get an automatic berth. It would also help convince dual citizens to think hard about leaving Canada. 

If all three get in then the rest of CONCACAF get 3 automatics plus 2 playoff places.  host confederation gets a bonus playoff berth.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, FIAF said:

Canada & Mexico should exit this. 75% of the event in the USA and split the rest. Just let the US bid alone. 

Mexico can do that but Canada stands to lose so much by doing this....10 World Cup games in the country and a possible spot in the World Cup way too much to lose

We really need to qualify for Qatar. I don't want our first WC appearance since 86 to be an automatic qualification. I'll take it, but I don't want to see Canada as one of those hosts that don't really belong, much like I believe Qatar will be. 

Others have already said this, but this is clearly a USA bid with Mexico and Canada dragged along to get more votes.

I didn't take the time to speculate what the split would be like, but figured it was quite likely to be an uneven split.

I am still not sure what I think about it. I was never totally sure how to feel about a World Cup bid, or at least couldn't keep a consistent opinion on the subject. Probably it would have stretched us pretty thin to host a 32 team World Cup and the change to 48 teams killed that dream. So the best we could get was to campaign the USSF to throw us some scraps in exchange for getting them a few more votes.

Its a half measure, but probably does more good than harm (provided no controversial public funding).

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

I'm pretty sure the MLS teams would have been all over that so I doubt the conversation went that way.

Your attendance has to be able to fill the stadiums. Giant stadiums and little attendance doesn't do anything. There's a reason why most MLS stadiums are aiming for 20-25k SSS. (Lesson of WC 2002. K League clubs in giant WC stadiums don't work) 

51 minutes ago, adrenaline11 said:

Thank you for making sense. The automatic bid is nothing to sneeze at either. It means that our country now has a deadline (assuming we win). Ready or not, we will be in the World Cup in 2026. We have nine years to get our shit together and put our best foot forward when the eyes of the world will be upon us.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic but media that traditionally turns a blind eye to soccer will be forced to cover us in the lead up to the World Cup because it's a big deal. People and organizations that stand in the way of our men's program improving will get exposed.

Hypothetical: Canada and U.S. were discussion a joint bid. Mexico caught wind of this and didn't want to miss out. They agreed to host only ten games in exchange some combination of win certainty, revenue sharing or financial guarantees.

It was a negotiation and they had the most money. It sucks but that's the reality.

Why did they bid with us? Probably because we have a guy on the inside (Mont Vic) and probably because there are some lingering anti-American sentiments inside FIFA. Let's not forget two things: 1) that it was the U.S. Department of Justice that busted 22 FIFA officials and 2) the U.S. had very strong bid for 2022 and still lost.

I'd rather the 'Mericans do this on their own and us qualify on our own merits rather than burning our 1 chance to host this event which we spent many years building towards by hosting FIFAs other tournaments and settle for scraps.

If any of you are a glass half full person on this bid you must know you're glass is not even half full it's 12.5% full.

Like a few have posted it feels as if 'Merica is just using us as a pawn in order to secure their second World Cup. I'd rather the CSA grow some balls rather than being a cuck.

Maybe before 2026 President Trump will have a second term and will have messed it up royally for visiting fans from "unfriendly" nations. That would be karma to USAsoccer's appetite of supersizing. 

13 minutes ago, matty said:

So anyone excited that Canada has a decent chance of exiting the group stage with the round of 32

Hole crap just realised we would be the seeded team. Top 2 advance and there is a very real chance we get a team like Syria

The best revenge for Mexico and Canada is to outlast The USA in 2026.

Now, with us being all but guaranteed to have 10 World Cup games, meaning that Canada are very likely to play their 3 initial games in Canada...time for dual Canadians, Candians overseas and young talented players who grew up in our system to come home and make us stronger.

This will be their only shot in their lifetime to play a world cup game at home. 

Be loyal and answer Canada's call 

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The best revenge for Mexico and Canada is to outlast The USA in 2026.

Now, with us being all but guaranteed to have 10 World Cup games, meaning that Canada are very likely to play their 2 initial games in Canada...time for dual Canadians, Candians overseas and young talented players who grew up in our system to come home and make us stronger.

This will be their only shot in their lifetime to play a world cup game at home. 

Be loyal and answer Canada's call 

FYP

I would be way more pissed off if I was Mexico. I know they have hosted before, but they have a good team, an insanely passionate and large fan base,  several huge stadiums, and a strong footballing culture. I want more games as well, but besides being a friendly and an internationally liked country what are we really bringing to the table?

Is it possible there's some kind of side deal in place between the trio regarding the other competitions? 2024-26 will be a busy period (Copa America, Gold Cup, Confederations Cup and a World Cup). Maybe Mexico gets Copa America and Canada gets the Gold Cup or something

3 minutes ago, matty said:

You mean 2021?

Rumours that Russia 2017 will be the last.  The test event for Qatar is going to be a club world cup, not a confederations cup.  It was already announced that the test event for 2026 onward is the November qualifying playoff.

Infantino also wants to make the Club World Cup a biennial 32 team event in June of odd-numbered years leaving no room for the Confed Cup anyway.

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Rumours that Russia 2017 will be the last.  The test event for Qatar is going to be a club world cup, not a confederations cup.  It was already announced that the test event for 2026 onward is the November qualifying playoff.

Someone else in Asia is supposed to host right now for 2021. I would not be shocked if they do can it

6 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Infantino also wants to make the Club World Cup a biennial 32 team event in June of odd-numbered years leaving no room for the Confed Cup anyway.

Yea read about that. Everything is a fucking mess right now with soccer so I think the Club World Cup will crash out

Archived