2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

1 minute ago, matty said:

Looking at comments on various sites, looks like most people don't want us even co-hosting this because they'd rather the money be spent on vets and the enviroment rather than a FIFA event

lol sawker.  so boring!

There, I saved you the trouble of going to the CBC comments.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm usually very unfriendly to the idea of public funds for stadiums... But this is about as economical as this will ever get. Probably only upgrades to existing stadiums and the associated costs like security and some infrastructure upgrades. 

Might even make a profit

You might be on to something here regarding economics.

They must have promised tp share a bigger amount of the profits to quiet Mexico and Canada.

FIFA only should have a say on the number of spots each confederation gets, not how each confederation chooses to do its qualification process. If Concacaf deems that their 3 hosts get an automatic spot for the 2026 World Cup that should be the end of the matter.  If they allow shit like Australia getting to qualify out of Asia, then they shouldn't be stepping in to interfere here. To have a nation host a World Cup but not qualify for it would send a very negative precedent and would run counter to the purpose of hosting.

Although a part of me hopes that FIFA says "if you want to have three co-host qualifiers, then distribute the games 50-15-15 at the very least and give Canada the final since unlike the US & Mexico, they've never hosted one before".

39 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Us getting automatic qualification could home down to whether we make the hex in the next world cup cycle

As much as I don't like pointing it out, it's difficult to argue that a country routinely ranked below 100 in recent years would deserve to make the tournament without having to qualify.

54 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Am I the only one who is fine with this bid? Not dumping money into a bunch of white elephants, getting some infrastructure in our biggest markets that will be used after the tourny leaves, getting kids excited about soccer, and (probably) getting our team in a world cup?

I wouldn't want to build a crap ton of new stadiums to host this thing solo, what a waste!

I mean, sure, in a perfect world it would've been nice to host say, 15 games or so. But yeah, I'm fine with this.

Mexico should be PISSSSSSED.

I bet you CSA went to federal govt and asked for money to improve and build some new stadiums. Feds asked how much and balked at the number. And asked CSA what's the plan for using the newly built stadiums after WC and CSA said we don't know. 

BMO Field got fed govt funding only after MLSE said they will use it for TFC. And that took a lot of political effort to squeeze some money out of govt.

There's no appetite to spend public money on soccer stadiums, and the feds have bigger priorities to spent money on.

4 minutes ago, Heepster said:

As much as I don't like pointing it out, it's difficult to argue that a country routinely ranked below 100 in recent years would deserve to make the tournament without having to qualify.

I don't agree with this. Look at South Africa and Dubai. There's never been a precedent that lower seed teams weren't invited to their own party.

I can not understand if 3 nations organize the World Cup, Why the quarter of finals, semifinals and final must be played in only one of these nations.

Imagine the Korea-Japan WC , if the finals games would have been played only in Korea !

It seems that CONCACAF always works with tricks, Remember the "draws" of the Gold Cup

Sunil Gulati looked like the boss of Montagliani and Decio di Maria.......

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Am I the only one who is fine with this bid? Not dumping money into a bunch of white elephants, getting some infrastructure in our biggest markets that will be used after the tourny leaves, getting kids excited about soccer, and (probably) getting our team in a world cup?

I wouldn't want to build a crap ton of new stadiums to host this thing solo, what a waste!

I mean, sure, in a perfect world it would've been nice to host say, 15 games or so. But yeah, I'm fine with this.

Mexico should be PISSSSSSED.

Nope, I'm totally okay with it as well.

Anyone thinking that the public would be okay with dumping billions into massive stadiums for an event run by an incredibly corrupt group like FIFA is kidding themselves. I want to grow the game in this country as well, but we have to be realistic about it. A dozen 40-80K seat stadiums isn't going to do that.

Now if a solo world cup bid would come with a few dozen indoor full sized FIFA training pitches spread throughout each province, I think that's a different story.

Well there a couple of things to look at...on a per capita basis we are getting the most games per person.  Mexico is getting the worst of it in that aspect.  But on the other hand Mexico already hosted twice, US once, Canada 0...so maybe it is ultimately fair.

Only thing I don't like is that USA is getting all the quarters/semis/final.  I think Canada and Mexico should have 1 quarter game each.

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I get the heavy weighting towards US - makes sense. Just surprised it's THAT drastic. Splitting 25% of the matches between Canada and Mexico is ridiculous IMO.

Honestly I don't see the point in Mexico and Canada being involved. 

Should at least be a 20, 20, 40 split. Or 15, 25, 40. Its like the US is just using Canada and Mexico because it doesn't think it would win the bid alone.  

Even just a joint US/Canada bid makes more sense. Just weird all round. 

Absolutely no chance automatic places would be given to Mexico and Canada on that basis. 

30 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Now that we only have 10 games 

I think venues will be 

Toronto will get 4 games 

Vancouver will get 3 games 

Montreal will get 2  games 

Edmonton will only get 1 game 

Unless Olympic Stadium gets a major overhaul, it will be a 50/50 split between Vancouver and Toronto.

Archived