Revs @ Caps - April 6th, 2011 [R]

Tuscan

I would be so mad at Hassli if I was TT. What an idiot.

TT wasn't afraid to start him on the bench, so I'm sure that, while TT was diplomatic to the press, he probably tore a strip off of Hassli in private. Hassli certainly looked like a sad puppy in the post-game interview.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Camilo's diving is embarassing though the PK was legitimate..

Camilo was embarrassing in this game. If he had been given a second yellow for all his diving I would not have faulted the referee. Far too many players act like this, and this the down side of Latin football. I hope that TT, when he finished chewing out Hassli for stupidity, also chewed out Camilo for not being a man. Stand up Camilo: when you stay on your feet, you will make plays, and force players to foul you. You don't need to fake it, and earn a reputation for doing so.

Camilo was embarrassing in this game. If he had been given a second yellow for all his diving I would not have faulted the referee. Far too many players act like this, and this the down side of Latin football. I hope that TT, when he finished chewing out Hassli for stupidity, also chewed out Camilo for not being a man. Stand up Camilo: when you stay on your feet, you will make plays, and force players to foul you. You don't need to fake it, and earn a reputation for doing so.

Looking at Camilo I could'nt help but think about Adam Braz. No way Camilo with the Brazzer in front of him would have faken an injury, he would probably still be on the ground right now.

When are clubs going to wake up and punish players for their stupidity?

The solution is simple, put it in their contract that they will be fined 50% of their salary for getting any card for goal celebration that results in a card .

It won't happen again.

I myself am an advocate of diving, even though I'm Latino, but Canadian first. I'm not ashamed of it, it's a tactic, that is common all around the world. How many times, have you seen CONCACAF nations, kill time, when they're a goal up against us. Why the hell shouldn't we learn in order to qualify out of CONCACAF. I agree that Camilo deserved the first yellow for diving, but honestly, he was hacked to bits and pieces on most plays and the first lesson of Futbol that most kids are taught in South America is to go down immediately, when somebody goes strong against you, why risk injury or worse constant knocks on the knees and legs. How do you think Ronaldo ended his career with constant leg injuries. He was constantly hacked, but always went back up, not like your typical South American that goes down immediately. I think if it weren't for Camilo's late antics of feigning injury, while 2 men down, He gave the Caps a nice breather since it's a time waster. We have to accept as Canadians that in order to qualify, perhaps, we may need to kill alot of time in hostile Central American climates by staying down and making sure that every last minute counts.

The Whitecaps produced yet another remarkable performance under very trying circumstances. A lot of credit must go to Teitur Thordarsun and his coaching staff as well as Tom Soehn the club's chief scout for putting together this group of players. Soehn is heading back to Europe this week on a quest to sign another striker.

Agreed!!! Well prepared lot and great team spirit. They have it right - nothing to lose attitude. Lose and they are expected to. Win and they are heroes. Legends in Vancouver sports lore.

Another striker!?!? Salgado, Hassli, Harris and Sanvezzo aren't enough?

Soehn is heading back to Europe this week on a quest to sign another striker.

This surprises me. The way Camilo & Harris have played, and with Salgado cleared, it doesn't look like there's room for another striker unless Hassli plans on being suspended every second game. I'd like to see Chiumiento try his hand at CM, and see Salinas on the wing before making any more moves. If anything, a more cultured utility player who could play wing and central midfield would be the most pressing need, imho.

This surprises me. The way Camilo & Harris have played, and with Salgado cleared, it doesn't look like there's room for another striker unless Hassli plans on being suspended every second game. I'd like to see Chiumiento try his hand at CM, and see Salinas on the wing before making any more moves. If anything, a more cultured utility player who could play wing and central midfield would be the most pressing need, imho.

I think you guys have found your wingers with Teibert and Khalfan for now and I agree DC should be in the middle next to Dunfield, especially since Koffie is suspended

I think you guys have found your wingers with Teibert and Khalfan for now and I agree DC should be in the middle next to Dunfield, especially since Koffie is suspended

I've only watched parts of the Caps first few games this season but I haven't found Khaflan to be that impressive, especially agaisnt NE. He seemed to give up on balls early, fail to control passes sent to him and I don't think he beat any defender one v one. Maybe it was because they were down 2 and then 1 player but I found that his opposite Knight had gas the whole game and made a few key runs early and then again late in the game.

I'd prefer to see Khalfan come off the bench. He's one of Teitur's favourites, but there are a lot better players in the world. Issey Nakajima-Farran is one that come to mind who may be available. Chiumiento is great on the right, but I think he finds it frustrating being isolated in a direct system. I wouldn't mind seeing Harris play out there to be honest. He's pretty quick for a big guy and can cross the ball if need be. He kind of reminds me of his namesake Hutchinson in that he looks like he'd get on with it no matter where you play him.

So...the Southsiders forum is down?? Anybody know why or is it being upgraded? Also, I'm wondering why the Caps would need another striker, or are they going to release anybody? I would be surprised if they released Hassli, given the Big Frenchman is a quality, physical striker, but short on temper or are they thinking that Salgado will be too green to contribute? Makes me wonder what Teitur and Co are thinking, if they released players after 4 games, and eat out his contract, might as well keep him in the organization rather than letting him go and still pay his wages.

I don't think Hassli has a chance of being released or that he's short on temper. None of his cards were dirty really from what I recall, maybe the first one last night but who knows if he meant it he's just making bad decisions.

I don't think Hassli has a chance of being released or that he's short on temper. None of his cards were dirty really from what I recall, maybe the first one last night but who knows if he meant it he's just making bad decisions.

Ya, that was dirty. He knew what he was doing. He did his best to make it look like an accident but he knew exactly what he was doing. He's clever. He's sly. He has to be careful as his reputation is going to precede him and the referees will be all over him.

Most neutral observers at the BigSoccer referee forum think the ref did OK last night.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1703304

I can see why he gave the first RC to Koffie, live it didn't looked good. On the replay I would say a YC or a RC, it was in between.

Hassli, easy call and the first YC was another one in between a YC and RC. Hassli has to be more carefull because he's a good player and Vancouver will need him.

The frustrating thing yesterday was that when Dunfield went off injured, Vancouver had no eligible MNT player on the field and it wasn't much interesting to watch from a CMNT perspective until the great Kevin Harmse came in.....I'm looking forward to see Teibert back in the squad!

The frustrating thing yesterday was that when Dunfield went off injured, Vancouver had no eligible MNT player on the field and it wasn't much interesting to watch from a CMNT perspective until the great Kevin Harmse came in

I'm certain some observers thought he would be a good candidate to become Toledo's fourth red card of the evening!

Too bad about Dunfield's injury. He's got a good linking play skillset.

Rochat's class on the ball, that's for sure.

Looking at Camilo I could'nt help but think about Adam Braz. No way Camilo with the Brazzer in front of him would have faken an injury, he would probably still be on the ground right now.

Before he arrived with TFC, Guevara had that reputation. But in the two or so years that I saw him here I never saw anything close to what Camillo tried to pull. Yes, Guevera is not innocent and there were moments of theatrics but Camillo wasn't even touched (as the replay proved) and he went down clutching in pain holding his stomach. But hey, I am not as offended by that as much I used to be.

Oh and one other thing, why can't they get "Box nets" in Vancouver like they have in the rest of concacaf and in the rest of the world where professional, international, or any other high calibre soccer is play? I see the metal frame back of the nets and I think of high school soccer.

I think Kansa city or someone else might be the only other place that they have those nets in MLS and they play in a temporary facility.

Oh and one other thing, why can't they get "Box nets" in Vancouver like they have in the rest of concacaf and in the rest of the world where professional, international, or any other high calibre soccer is play? I see the metal frame back of the nets and I think of high school soccer.

I think Kansa city or someone else might be the only other place that they have those nets in MLS and they play in a temporary facility.

We are in a Temporary stadium, you knob. It's like all fold away or are you just very simple and couldn't figure that out for yourself.

Stop staring at the sun.

If this gonna become some sort of pissing contest between the Whitecaps and TFC, I'm sorry to burst your egotistical bubble but Vancouver is gonna win in the end.

We are in a Temporary stadium, you knob. It's like all fold away or are you just very simple and couldn't figure that out for yourself.

Stop staring at the sun.

If this gonna become some sort of pissing contest between the Whitecaps and TFC, I'm sorry to burst your egotistical bubble but Vancouver is gonna win in the end.

All you have to say it is a temporary facility.

Tempire actually looks really good on TV, I bet there are lots of people that have no idea that it's mostly Home Depot scaffolding and porta potties.

Stop staring at the sun.

Saying temporary stadium would have answered the question

I don't see Hassli being a problem. He'll be around and come through for us. He holds the ball up great and is real hard to push around. Holding on to his jersey seems to be the default strategy so for for defenders. He is just getting a taste of MLS officiating. Having watched Toledo on TFC and other MLS games over the last 4 years I was expecting bad things.

As to his fouls the second in Philly was a dive (he got kicked in the back of his thigh/buttocks on the follow through). The first one last game was a short defender trying to duck around while holding the jersey. Big guy turns and arm clocks defender upside the head. Hassli didn't have his elbow up or even near shoulder level.

Apparently he has done the 2 shirt routine in Swiss league action and never been penalized for it because he still had his jersey on. Different refs interpreting the same rule differently. I am curious as to the exact wording of the FIFA rule. Is it "taking off the uniform" or "being out of uniform"? If #1 he is guilty if #2 not. Oh well he will learn.

As to the Caps looking for more strikers. We don't know that for sure. They were looking at Rochat and DC when they spotted Hassli so they are looking for quality players period.

Stop staring at the sun.

Wow.

Thanks for reminding me why I've been avoiding this subforum lately.

^ I too noticed that MLS defenders, particularly the smaller ones, can't keep their hands off Hassli. Fistfuls of jersey everywhere. In fact on the play where Hassli picked up his first yellow, the free kick actually went Vancouver's way because the initial call was on that gnome with the chia-pet hair for NE, as he really had no hope of defending Hassli any other way.

When are clubs going to wake up and punish players for their stupidity?

The solution is simple, put it in their contract that they will be fined 50% of their salary for getting any card for goal celebration that results in a card .

It won't happen again.

Agreed, and I'm also in favour of leagues and clubs assessing fines for faking based on video review after the game.

Archived