Revs @ Caps - April 6th, 2011 [R]

Tuscan

I hope somebody with the 'Caps, Revolution, or the league says it straight up after this game and declare this Toledo clown to simply be too incompetent to referee at this level.

Is it too early to say that Alain Rochat is an elite player in MLS?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good the bad and the ugly:

We got a point.

Hassli ?? WTF man? What were you thinking?

Toledo is a total douchebag.

Speaks volumes about the MLS officiating that he was chosen for the championship game. What a joke.

Oh well a point is a point but it would have been great to steal three.

Some bad calls but honestly Hassli is a moron, that's two stupid red cards in 3 games what is he thinking? Camilo and Harris are playing well, I think Hassli is going to be in timeout again... as a DP that's pretty ridiculous he has to be in TT's dog house.

What a bizarre experience.

A long time caps fan living in Toronto sitting around with a bunch TFC fans watching the caps play the revs with TFC fans cheering for Vancouver united in their total uncompromising hatred of Toledo.

Welcome to the MLS sh!tshow Vancouver.

Such a dumb, dumb red by Hassli - but you have to say, the Caps have been beyond incredibly entertaining so far. This is the kind of start they needed to not only suck in curious people, but to keep them watching. Toledo was SHOCKING. Honestly, how this man is employed is completely baffling and even moreso that the league rewards his atrociousness by promoting him to ref championship games. Camilo's diving is embarassing though the PK was legitimate.

Rochat is class in this league. Fantastic control of the box by Nolly after looking iffy his two last starts. Nice to see Harmse get some time.

Can somebody who's watched a bit more of MLS tell me if there is any referees in this league who are not staggeringly incompetent?

No, but refs suck everywhere in every league. Toledo is the worst type of asshat of course: the one who needs to make himself the centre of attention. The funny thing is that the absolute horribleness of his performance over all, the early yellows in particular, overshadow that he really didn't get most of the decisive big calls wrong. But yeah, if Howard Webb can ref a World Cup final than we'll have to live with idiots like Toledo in MLS.

Hassli, very boneheaded again. He needs too start using his head out there as he can be very effective.

Harris still getting no sympathy from Refs.

And as much as Toledo is always pretty strict, at least he stayed somewhat consistent, but he's a ref who influences every match he refs simple as that.

All in all, 2 minutes away from 3 points with 9 men, so a draw is satisfactory as much a dissapointing in the fasion it came. This game again was all about the character and resilency of this club and they are showing it in spades. I can 't wait till we have a our best XI on the pitch for a game, they look like they can tear apart defenses.

----------Nolly/Cannon

Leathers-Akoul--DeMerit-Rochat

-----------Dunfield

Tiebert---Chiumiento---Khalfan

------------Hassli

----------------Camilo

My problem with Hassli's 2nd yellow is just how calculated (and therefore avoidable) it was. Any player could be forgiven if they get carried away in the moment, but in Hassli's case there were just too many things that make this blindingly stupid.

- He had a second jersey on underneath his first... he was planning on getting a yellow.

- This was his fist game back from suspension, so he should have considered the fact that his first red may have cost the Caps a win.

- This wasn't a goal from open play that came suddenly. Prior to taking the penalty he had lots of time to calm down and think about things - like the fact that HE WAS ON A YELLOW!!

I just don't get it.

He is big, strong, talented and dumb. How could he possibly think that was a good idea?!? I really like his play, but if he completely lacks intelligence (football IQ, or otherwise), then I think the Caps really need to consider whether or not this guy is a liability. I know it is very early in the season, but based on the otherwise excellent quality of VWC's footie so far, Hassli has basically cost them 5 points already this season. Dummy.

are you asking whether he has done that before ? or speculating over the whether he would have done such a thing in Switzerland ...?

Speculating that he probably wouldn't have done that in Switzerland

We've seen how big headed some players get being the "star" in North America, this looks like another example early on. Who has the audacity to not only put on another shirt underneath theirs while coming off a suspension, but also starting on the bench and then having a yellow and still going for it!! This is insane, one of the dumbest plays i've seen or heard of in world football.

Well it was certainly an entertaining match. Absolutely horrible officiating. World-class display by Rochat.

Boneheaded play by a star striker like Hasli. Was he really thinking that Vancouver can handle being down to 9 men? Nolly was brilliant, only to be let down in extra time by your backline.

Full marks to Whitecaps for having an expansion team not play like an expansion team. Nice to see Southsiders in full force too.

Hassli has overtaken 'Black Jacques Shellac' as the dumbest Frenchman I have ever seen. What a moron. Cost the team 2 and close to 3 points.

Shame that Dunfield had to leave (kicks the poop out of my MLS fantasy team this week). Any news his status, didn't seem to be hobbled too much walking off the field.

Hassli has overtaken 'Black Jacques Shellac' as the dumbest Frenchman I have ever seen. What a moron. Cost the team 2 and close to 3 points.

Shame that Dunfield had to leave (kicks the poop out of my MLS fantasy team this week). Any news his status, didn't seem to be hobbled too much walking off the field.

No news on the youtube channel about Dunfield and Hassli thought that he still had his uniform on so it wasn't a foul. I have no idea what is allowed in the Swiss league. 2 jerseys so you are allowed to take one off? WTF? He sounded very remorseful and apologetic to the team and fans.

A new chant for the southside

keep your shirt on

keep your shirt on

keep your shirt on for the game

take it off when it's over

or we'll know you are insane

I'm sure there will be better ones but that is the best I could come up with on short notice.

man.... what a game. even 2 men down and the Caps still took it to them. Hassli's an idiot, but the ref took the cake. even the make up calls for us were wtf... Teitur must be be going out of his mind with all these injuries and suspensions. If we could only start a full strength starting 11 it would be nice. Back line was more solid than on Saturday but everyone was pretty much gassed at the end. Khalfan couldn't last the 10 minutes.

Officiating is horrendous.

Agreed. This ref was as advertised - too many cards given out. In the pre-game radio coverage they pointed out that this ref gives cards and penalty kicks at a ridiculously high rate.

Hassli's second yellow is by the book - no problem there. But the straight red for both Koffie and the NE player should only have been yellows, and the first yellow for Hassli should not have been a card.

Yet at the same time, he missed some free kicks that he should have seen; and then called the other team when they "kicked" back, much like the bad ref in Philadelphia did. Come on refs, there are three of you out there. Granted the television gives an aerial view, but if you catch the original foul then the other team doesn't retaliate.

The Whitecaps produced yet another remarkable performance under very trying circumstances. A lot of credit must go to Teitur Thordarsun and his coaching staff as well as Tom Soehn the club's chief scout for putting together this group of players. Soehn is heading back to Europe this week on a quest to sign another striker.

Oh wow!

Hassli prob thought he was so cheeky and smart with the second jersey underneath when he threw his shirt into the crowd.

Hassli is obviously very passionate, and really wants to connect with the fans . . . but it's not just in MLS that you cannot take off your shirt like that. Hassli is obviously confident, clinical, and physical, which is great in a striker; but he is going to have to start talking to the coaching staff a LOT more to figure out what he can and cannot do, otherwise the coach will not be able to justify starting him over Harris, who, despite being a poor finisher and a bit awkward with the ball at his feet, is clearly figuring out how to play a physical style at this level, and score goals while doing so.

Archived