TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

If Preki wanted to clean house that is one thing but he seems to be filling up the roster with mediocre player after mediocre player. He may have his hands tied a bit by the salary cap and Mo's overpaying ways but he knew what the situation was when he took the job. It is his job to manage the situation in the best way possible and it doesn't appear that he has done that at all. I was one of Robinson's biggest critics and there is no doubt he was overpaid but what is the point of getting rid of him if you are going to end up paying 2/3rds of his salary and taking that cap hit. Not only that, you are trading him to a team that will be competing with you for a playoff spot. At $100 000 for Robinson that NYRB is paying he goes from being overpaid to being a bargain. Of course not that I am complaining about this given the upcoming VC :) yet this all just doesn't make any sense to me looking at it in an objective fashion.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Preki wanted to clean house that is one thing but he seems to be filling up the roster with mediocre player after mediocre player.He may have his hands tied a bit by the salary cap and Mo's overpaying ways but he knew what the situation was when he took the job. It is his job to manage the situation in the best way possible and it doesn't appear that he has done that at all. I was one of Robinson's biggest critics and there is no doubt he was overpaid but what is the point of getting rid of him if you are going to end up paying 2/3rds of his salary and taking that cap hit. Not only that, you are trading him to a team that will be competing with you for a playoff spot. At $100 000 for Robinson that NYRB is paying he goes from being overpaid to being a bargain. Of course not that I am complaining about this given the upcoming VC :) yet this all just doesn't make any sense to me looking at it in an objective fashion.

See this is why I was against cleaning house so quickly, as really they is no suitable replacements for who we have let go. Really I think the deteriorating of the club should of been more systemic, a slower process, while waiting to cut ties to everyone after the replacement has been found, not cut ties then scramble for someone better. That is never gonna work you will always end up settling for something lesser than what you already had just to field a team at the right time. You cannot spend half the season building your team and expect to get in the playoffs.

Also on sorta the flip side of it why did Preki and Mo even wait so long before dismantling this team, they gave themselves realistically like 3-4 weeks to build a team from about 5 or 6 players they liked. I do not see why this was not started a long time ago like the end of the last season.

See this is why I was against cleaning house so quickly, as really they is no suitable replacements for who we have let go. Really I think the deteriorating of the club should of been more systemic, a slower process, while waiting to cut ties to everyone after the replacement has been found, not cut ties then scramble for someone better. That is never gonna work you will always end up settling for something lesser than what you already had just to field a team at the right time. You cannot spend half the season building your team and expect to get in the playoffs.

Also on sorta the flip side of it why did Preki and Mo even wait so long before dismantling this team, they gave themselves realistically like 3-4 weeks to build a team from about 5 or 6 players they liked. I do not see why this was not started a long time ago like the end of the last season.

Presumably, Preki wanted to give everyone from last year a chance to prove themselves in training camp.

Presumably, Preki wanted to give everyone from last year a chance to prove themselves in training camp.

well with a new coach you'd think they'd try the TT method and have these guys training all off season, the Caps are back together around January, if I'm not mistaken and don't start play till April. I don't it would of been wrong or out of bounds by Preki to request early attendance, so he can mold the team to his liking in a timely manner instead of being rushed. I just can't help, but question some of the logic behind some of the internal decisions, whether Mo and Preki's maybe indifference leads to stalling of basically everything.

Soccer is all about timing and chemistry with coaches, systems and the players. Having so much change so fast is not good for any club at any level.

I just can't help, but think if they just get everyone down to Florida a couple months earlier all this could of been avoided. Tough to adjust with a new coaches, expectations, styles and systems of play; plus having to create chemistry with revolving door of players over a start of the competitive season. Being a TFC fan in Vancouver (while juggling with being a Caps fan) is tough you really hear nothing about them I take what I get from here basically I not compeltey sure of what the consensus feeling of fans are about how this has come about, again?

Milos Kocic has been signed according to Luke Wileman on twitter:-

http://twitter.com/LukeWileman

announce signing of goalkeeper Milos Kocic. Originally drafted by DC in 2nd round in 2009...Kocic will wear #30. Johnston: "He's a good young keeper and it gives us good protection in this position"

Time will tell if that's the real reason. That is all of the international roster spots filled now and using two on backup keepers seems like complete overkill. I suspect trading Stefan Frei for either a quality central defender and/or another striker is very much on the agenda assuming that getting rid of Ali Gerba and the reduction in JDG's cost against the cap freed up sufficient cap space to make it possible to add another $100k+ salary. Given Pat Onstad's age maybe Frei for Hainault plus something/someone else makes sense? Don't think DC United would be interested in a deal for Jakovic (who obviously ticks all the right boxes to fit in with Preki's way of doing things) given they just brought Troy Perkins back from Norway.

So, all of the international spots are filled and we are still short at least one striker. If they can only fill that hole with Canadian, there aren't a lot of immediate candidates presenting themselves (the only available one I can think of is available because they just got rid of him......).

The lack of strikers depends on how you view certain players. Arguably DeRosario, White, Barrett, Peterson and Ibrahim are all strikers even if four out of five sometimes or usually play in midfield. Think the biggest issue is still in defence with Wynne gone now and Garcia looking very shaky. Four of the other five defenders actually in Toronto are probably making the league minimum and another is finishing off high school in Florida. Signing or making a trade for an experienced defender with a salary over 100k is called for to fully balance out the roster, in my opinion.

TFC's threadbare roster would be akin to the Maple Leafs declaring they are going to start the season with only 5 defence men on their roster. It's laughable. You would think a professional organization would have their major roster issues sorted out BEFORE the season started. This revovling door policy is mickey mouse at best.

And I say this as a supporter....

According to Duane's article here:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/04/tfc-roster-breakdown.html

we are not maxed out of international spots - TFC can have 8 international spots plus 8 Americans (a quiet bump up given to the team this year that wasn't mentioned publicly - to avoid complaints of TFC having an unfair advantage perhaps?)

With Brennan retiring, TFC is now down to a woeful low of 5 domestic players for a 24-man roster, only 4 of which are confirmed to be Canadian national team players (O'Brien White not having confirmed either way which country he will play for). We'll have to see what happens, but right now that is unacceptable for both Canadian content and for TFC's content in general.

Wow hahaha this is just a joke. What kind of professional athlete.... no no wait... CAPTAIN, decides to retire right at the beginning of his already short handed club's season. Reminds me of something Brennan did back in 2008.... o but wait Canada didn't need him anyways.

We aren't talking like Brennan was Dichio... the guy was playing regular football and just played in the season opener.

Wow hahaha this is just a joke. What kind of professional athlete.... no no wait... CAPTAIN, decides to retire right at the beginning of his already short handed club's season. Reminds me of something Brennan did back in 2008.... o but wait Canada didn't need him anyways.

We aren't talking like Brennan was Dichio... the guy was playing regular football and just played in the season opener.

Yeah, this boggles my mind, Brennan is easily the best player to fill both the LM and LB spot on TFC why would he retire, when he is clearly one of the best players on the team.

TFC has one left footed player now I think in Gala

Kristan Jack now tweets some hearsay that Brennan dislikes Preki, so is now gonna work above him, lol. TFC is in some serious trouble if they have 2 GMs that clearly dislike their own coach who also gets to tell them what to do. How can you build a functioning tam with 3 people looking in opposite directions Mo, Preki and Brennan have different outlooks on what the team should look and play like, how is this gonna work out.

TFC is becoming a cancer on themselves. MLSE would be dumb to make Brennan a GM if he retired because of his dislike for Preki.

we are not maxed out of international spots - TFC can have 8 international spots plus 8 Americans (a quiet bump up given to the team this year that wasn't mentioned publicly - to avoid complaints of TFC having an unfair advantage perhaps?)

With Brennan retiring, TFC is now down to a woeful low of 5 domestic players for a 24-man roster, only 4 of which are confirmed to be Canadian national team players (O'Brien White not having confirmed either way which country he will play for). We'll have to see what happens, but right now that is unacceptable for both Canadian content and for TFC's content in general.

I'm not surprised, with Vancouver and probably Montreal coming in, I expected some rule changes on #s for the Canadian teams. Hopes for additional Canadian spots probably rest with the additional two roster spots for Academy graduates.

Anyone have ideas who TFC's first academy signing might be?

Kristian Jack tweets Brennan to step down as player and will become Asstiant GM, This makes no sense to me as Brennan is easliy our most comptent left sided player.

https://twitter.com/KristianJack

EDIT: Wasn't this supposed to be done at the years end, the way Jack puts it sounds like it's gonna happen sooner.

Well when Blatter implements Six and five, hopefully Mo will get the memo.

Must have been a very recent development given this is still on the MLS website under regulations:-

http://www.mlssoccer.com/regulations

INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS

Each team is allotted eight (8) International slots, with the exception of Toronto FC who is allotted 13 International slots, five (5) of which may be used on domestic U.S. players. All International player slots are tradable, therefore a team may have more than or less than eight (8) International players on its roster.

albeit with this disclaimer:-

* The 2010 roster regulations are still being finalized by the MLS

Competition Committee. The following information pertains to 2009 only and will be updated as soon as possible.

With the 3 additional roster spots gained through trades that would mean that 19 out of 24 can be imports. My conspiracy theory about Frei being traded is no longer necessarily applicable under those circumstances. Stunned that Brennan is "retiring". I thought he played quite well against Columbus. They must need his salary badly for some important signing because I don't think Nane Joseph is the answer right now.

This is exactly why you can't have too many heads of power in this game. There are millions of views on the game there is no way different leaders will agree.

Its time to let Preki take control of this team from the ground up... Mo clearly isn't the answer for the billionth time and now it looks like he's interfering once again, Mo is the cancer of this club.

Think it's obvious Preki has control right now. Where do you see Mo's influence in recent signings? They don't fit into Mo's MO, in my opinion. Instead of washed up hasbeens from the UK and former Metrostars there appears to be a marked bias emerging towards former Chivas players and players from an ex-Yu ethnic background.

Agreed. This is Preki's team through and through...or it's on the way there. Maybe he'll find us someone who can score goals...but right now it appears he's trying to build a system that is defensive and minimizes the apparent defensive weaknesses of the club.

Archived