TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mo Johnston has to take a lot of the responsibility for giving Carl Robinson a two year guaranteed deal at over 300k a year but it's maybe worth bearing in mind that pretty much as soon as John Carver was out of the picture Mo Johnston was trying to bring in Julian de Guzman for the holding midfielder role.

And the incompetent Carver was hired by who?

A truly bizarre post. Can you still not see beyond the Reda/Braz/Pozniak issue from the 2007 season? I would not have been the least bit bothered if Mo Johnston and John Carver had both left at the end of the 2008 season. That would have been the ideal time to get somebody like Preki in to move things in a new direction given all the allocation money that was available from the Mo Edu transfer.

Bizarre is trying to absolve Mo of any of the blame for the Robinson situation which you seem to be doing. Mo signed Robinson before Carver joined TFC so he is totally Mo's responsibility. Even if Carver convinced Mo to give Robinson the two year guaranteed contract (something not established), Mo was the guy who hired Carver to give him bad advice so the ultimately the responsibility comes back to Mo. I don't see how the Robinson situation can be painted as anything but 100% Mo's responsibility.

What I also find bizarre is assertion that Reda/Braz/Pozniak has anything to do with the situation or my opinion. I don't really think give any thought to any of those guys anymore. I do think all 3 could have performed better under a competent coach with some tactical awareness and ability to assess the strenghts and weaknesses of his players and utilize them correspondingly. However, if we are looking for evidence of poor, incompetent moves by Mo they are pretty far down the rather lengthy list.

Why do you feel the need to regurgitate this Mo hired him stuff? As stated above I would not have been the least bit bothered if both Mo and Carver had been shown the door at the end of the 2008 season. As things stand at the moment I suspect that the only reason Mo Johnston is still around is that a highly credible MLS coach was willing to work with him. If Preki had passed up the job and the other credible candidates with MLS experience had steered well clear odds on MLSE would have noticed the trend and shown him the door. It should go without saying that the head coach, who picks the team on game days, plays a major role in determining which players get signed, waived or traded.

I believe Greg Sutton's impending move to RBNY is linked to the Robinson transaction as well, since TFC owns Sutton's MLS rights (the stupidest of all MLS rules). That could knock down how much TFC has to pay for Robbo's salary this year, as NY is obligated to compensate Toronto for Sutton's services.

As for the suggestion that TFC does the same thing with Nick Garcia, no one in their right mind would take Garcia. Robinson is still a very good DM, and the type of player NY actually needs (they've been loading up on every other position in their rebuilding, and were slated to have a rookie starting at DM). Garcia is awful, and a $200K albatross on TFC's salary cap. But he's guaranteed through the end of this year, so he stays on the roster (I have my doubts that he'll see much of the pitch).

I hope Garica does not play this year but look at all the playing time he has got in the pre season maybe they were seeing if any of the trailists could play cb and step up for Garica's mistakes

Maybe Garica can help with the players on TFC that are having troubles with their confedance since he is a pylon out on the pitch (one on one drills or 2 on 1 drills Gerba/Barret vs Garica)

As for robo why could they not at least get some draft picks?? Its not even like TFC markets there players that well

I still wonder why Felinga was cut/releasebed he played well when he played and I dont even think he played LB for TFC and he was cheap at $36, 000. I thought he played good at left Mid too maybe not starter but he could be used as a LB and LM

As TFC's roster gets smaller i wonder what Mo is doing they talk about having all these players their looking at but Im getting worried

Adrian Cann has arrived on trial according to Luke Wileman:-

http://twitter.com/lukewileman

Canadian defender Adrian Cann is training with @torontofc in Oakville today.[url=

Canadian defender Adrian Cann is training with @torontofc in Oakville today.

— Luke Wileman (@LukeWileman)

March 8, 2010

If he wasn't good enough for a League Two club like Burton Albion is he likely to be good enough for MLS?

Preki's media scrum is worth a look for the reasons why Carl Robinson left:-

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1652

Makes it sound like Carl Robinson very much wanted to leave.

One of Garcia's major flaws is his lack of aerial acumen, Cann would be an upgrade in that respect. I think it could work out, TFC always seems to try to got for the home run, in terms of player moves, when the single would do. In terms of defence, if TFC keep out four more goals over the space of the season, they probably would have made the playoffs.

I still wonder why Felinga was cut/releasebed he played well when he played and I dont even think he played LB for TFC and he was cheap at $36, 000. I thought he played good at left Mid too maybe not starter but he could be used as a LB and LM

That 36k was only for a portion of last season so he would probably have been on a significantly higher number if he had been retained this season.

I find it hard to believe anyone could be any more of Garcia than Garcia. To be more Garcia than Garcia, wouldn't you have to have cerebral palsy?

Poor taste and not funny.

Maybe something like this . . . Whats the difference between Garcia and a corpse? Very little. Or maybe, hear about Garcia's new A&E reality show? It's called the Poopy Centre Back who sucked at Football. Garcia walks into a bar, not like he's going to run.

I'm not a fan of Nick Garcia and was hoping he'd be gone by now but it's maybe worth bearing in mind that Jeff Cunningham came in for all kinds of criticism from TFC fans online as well before going on to be the league's top scorer last season and has even been getting serious consideration for a World Cup finals appearance with the USMNT. Beyond that I don't think Garcia is any worse than Marco Velez and Andrew Boyens were and he's an upgrade on Marco Reda. You expect a lot more than that of a player on 190k who was expected to be the replacement for Tyrone Marshall, however.

^ That's an interesting comparison. In terms of Garcia, I think it's more an issue of diminishing physical tools. I think everyone felt that Cunningham was more of a case of poor work ethic and lack of mental toughness. I'd be interested to know how many of Cunningham's goal for Dallas have been scored at home in front of a half full, half interested crowd.

I dislike Garcia's play, but I don't hate him. I think the only TFC player I ever actually disliked was Ruiz.

I agree it might be a case of losing a step but at 30 years old last season he was on the young side for that. A lot of players seem to ease up a bit after they sign a big money contract. Hopefully this being effectively a "contract year" for him will motivate him again so he shows something closer to the 2008 form that led Frank Yallop to give him the big contract.

According to King Tut on the RPB board (met him a few times and can verify the fact he's from Egypt, he's the guy you often see wearing a pharaoh mask at TFC games whenever they show the North End Elite celebrating a goal) this Arabic language video clip confirms that the Egyptian central defender Ibrahim Said will be in Charleston for a trial after sorting out visa problems:-

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=19726&page=4

John Molinaro of the CBC says a source told him Martin Saric the Argentinian/Croatian right midfielder is close to signing:-

http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

Been told by a source that Argentine midfielder Martin Saric is close to signing with Toronto FC

So with that plus Adrian Cann being on trial it looks like we could see a few of the pieces fall into place soon where the roster is concerned.

So, we are down a very thin sqaud.

Goalies

Stefan Frei

Brian Edwards

Adam Street (Trialist) *could be gone*

Defenders

Nana Attakora

Marvel Wynne

Jim Brennan

Nick Garcia

Emmanuel Gomez

Ty Harden

Zach Herold

Ibrahim Said (Trialist)

Adrian Cann (Trialist)

Midfielder

Sam Cronin

Julian De Guzman

Dwayne De Rosario

Amadou Sanyang

Gabe Gala

Jacob Peterson

Nane Joeseph

Martin Saric (Trialist)

Forwards

Ali Gerba

Chad Barrett

O'Brian White

Faud Ibrahim

That's only 20 players not including trialists and including Jospeh and Herold who both look like they are aways from getting any concrete minutes. Not to mention Gala and Ibrahim will likely see very little time on the pitch as well.

EDIT: Peterson and Barrett are also injured and for awhile if I'm not mistaken. I know Peterson is out after surgery, but not sure how long Barrett is out with what was a broken foot I believe.

Mo either is confident the season ain't starting any time soon or is gonna be in dire straits trying to find players who can be slotted into this squad. Maybe he was expecting USL thing to go to strike and he'd have a chance at a bunch of Domestic players who would be stuck with no league.

^ Although he has now left West Ham, so who knows what he's up to and where he's going...

http://www.tribalfootball.com/street-leaves-west-ham-canada-return-700481

Street leaves West Ham for Canada return

Canada U23 international goalkeeper Adam Street has quit West Ham United to return home.

Street has had trials with Toronto FC and is now weighing up his options.

"I am trying to get my head around what to do in the future," he told whufc.com. "I went back to Toronto recently and all my family are there. I have been here six years and it feels strange to be saying goodbye. It is hard to go but this is the right decision for me. You never know what will happen but I have plenty of time to think about what's next.

"I have a lot of good memories. I have enjoyed working with [goalkeeping coach] Jerome John since I arrived and I am grateful to Tony Carr and Paul Heffer in the Academy. It has been a long time and Bob and Val [who run the Academy house] have been like my family. It is a difficult thing but this is what I have to do. I will keep in touch and will follow how the club does."

Given he's still on over 300k guaranteed this year I find it very hard to work up any sympathy for him and given his form last season I find it almost inexplicable that so many people are in any way bothered to see him go. The loss of Amado Guevara should be upsetting people at the moment given the distinct lack of goals in exhibition goals. That was the one major downside to Preki's arrival, in my opinion.

Given he's still on over 300k guaranteed this year I find it very hard to work up any sympathy for him and given his form last season I find it almost inexplicable that so many people are in any way bothered to see him go. The loss of Amado Guevara should be upsetting people at the moment given the distinct lack of goals in exhibition goals. That was the one major downside to Preki's arrival, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more, Guevara is a big loss I was surprised to see some TFC fans happy of his departure. The absence of Amando offensives skills will hurt TFC badly in the midfield and unlike some people I really doubt JDG can do much about it.

Archived