TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

I am still not feeling confident about the start of this season...

The time to start judging the roster is the build up to the New England game, in my opinion. I don't think the roster is too far off being competitive in MLS terms assuming it looks something like this in two weeks time:-

Frei/Conway

Attakora Cann/Harden/Gomez/Garcia/Herrold Brennan/Joseph

Peterson/Saric De Guzman/Cronin/Sanyang LaBrocca/Gala

DeRosario Barrett/White/Ibrahim

The obvious gap at that point would be an experienced right back so Attakora could be played in the middle and Garcia can be kept on the bench unless his form returns to 2008 levels. On the bright side good right backs are a lot easier to find than naturally left-sided midfielders. I suspect the delay with Saric and Joseph is visa related while with Cann it's a case of haggling over money.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cann is no longer with the team according to Preki during his appearance on the Soccer Show on the FAN 590 but they are still hoping to get Martin Saric officially signed in time for Saturday's game. No mention of Nane Joseph so not sure if he is still a factor. Preki also had positive things to say about Nick Garcia and appears to see him as very much part of his plans as he thinks he will be able to bounce back into good form again if there is a better all around team effort defensively and that the way he has been singled out for criticism has been unfair. Also mentioned that they weren't able to go after Carey Talley after his release from Chivas because he would have been too expensive and they have to be very careful how they spend the limited amount of money they have available under the cap and that some of the large contracts from last season were dropped because he hopes to build a larger squad of 24 hard-working players to make it easier to meet Nutrilite Canadian Championship and CONCACAF Champions League commitments in addition to MLS game so probably safe to assume that the vacant roster spots will slowly be filled.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20100325_223514_6416

Brian Edwards is gone and Jon Conway will be on the bench tomorrow against Columbus according to John Molinaro on twitter:-

http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

Just spoke to Brian Edwards. he confirmed he's been let go by the club and that Conway will backup Frei in Columbus. more to follow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Conway

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/26/sp-edwards.html

The writing was clearly on the wall for Brian Edwards when first Hunter Gilstrap and then Milos Kocic were given trials. Leo Percovich would have worked closely with Conway at Chivas late last season.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090911&content_id=6909580&vkey=pr_cdc&fext=.jsp&team=t120

Kristian Jack reporting Martin Saric has officially been signed.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100326&content_id=8952888&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

it's done and another Midfielder...

Guess DeRo is a striker for now. At least the team seems to be coming together. On Cann not signing could of dodged a bullet with a guy who probably wasn't gonna impact much and block Herold from progressing.

On a side note anyone know anything concrete on Saric seems to have a club list as long as Ali G, anyone with some good knowledge of him wanna throw together a CAP for FIFA10 for him lol. Played in Romania I know that which is a pretty solid league, not sure about the Slovenian league he played in last year though.

Dan Gargan, Saric, Conway all signed.

http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves

Toronto FC has signed defender Dan Gargan, a right back who has been with TFC this preseason.

Good to see an experienced and inexpensive right back signed because that fully balances out the roster and means Attakora can potentially still be used as a centre back now. Sam Cronin may even be an option at that position once Barrett and Peterson are available. Even with Gomez injured and Herrold too young to be a factor, Nick Garcia will now need to fully return to form to hold down a regular starting place given Ty Harden is also available. I suspect Gargan was the beneficiary of Adrian Cann pricing himself out of consideration and the Wynne trade creating a void at right back.

Frei/Conway

Attakora/Gargan Garcia/Harden/Gomez/Herrold Brennan

Saric/Peterson JDG/Cronin/Sanyang LaBrocca/Gala

De Rosario Barrett/White/Ibrahim

Interesting observation.

Personally, I'm a little concerned about a coach who's approach seems to be the equivalent of filling a team with grinders. Sure they are necessary parts and bravo for working hard, but the team needs something special on top of that to win, it's not going to do it with a bunch of role players alone. Any team could fill itself up with guys like Harden, Peterson, etc.. those aren't exactly hard pieces to get. The issue is going to be how good your talent is on top of that. Where's the lock-down CB? the potent striker? your creative force? That's not going to be solved by a group of journeymen. Also a little tired of hearing how everyone is equal, clearly they are not.

I am willing to give this one more time, however Mo Johnston's is an old horse who should be sent to the glue factory. I find it practically impossible to judge Preki for anything roster related until Mo is gone and his mistakes are unwound. Unfortunately I think he's going to find himself as a lame duck coach pretty shortly and eventually the new GM's first year firing line excuse.

Looks like Preki and Mo are still trying to add more players:-

http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer

Three new trialists at TFC training this morning and goalkeeper Kosic is back as well

Milos Kocic still being around might point to Stefan Frei potentially being traded.

Why trade Frei, TFC has Cap issues and they wnat to move a guy who saves them Cap room, doesn't make sense to me.

Milos Kocic still being around might point to Stefan Frei potentially being traded.

Good observation.

Frei still has some kinks to work out in terms of commanding the 18 and dealing will crosses, but the guy is an incredible shot stopper. Pretty easy to forget how many times he saves us on a game-by-game basis. If our solution is Conway and Kocic (who are decent, not great) then i fully expect this team to get ripped apart without a quality CB coming back in return.

Good observation.

Frei still has some kinks to work out in terms of commanding the 18 and dealing will crosses, but the guy is an incredible shot stopper. Pretty easy to forget how many times he saves us on a game-by-game basis. If our solution is Conway and Kocic (who are decent, not great) then i fully expect this team to get ripped apart without a quality CB coming back in return.

Yeah, trading Frei to me makes zero sense, he is still considered GA as far as I know so, wouldn't count completely towards the Cap, right? I don't see many better options than Frei or cost effective ones either.

Preki is not the answer and why he was hired is the big question.

I really don't know what Moe has to offer his record is a disaster and it appears to me that the MLSE management found the golden goose ,sold out stadiums,no matter what,but soccer guys and girls now want the making of a good team,did I say TFC or Maple loosers.

\

Gabe Gala added to the Senior roster, that is if the TFC website roster is correct. Three years is usually the max on the developmental roster.

I suspect that's just a rule of thumb based on how many years an NCAA graduate is likely to be younger than 25. Worth noting that Fuad Ibrahim is also entering his fourth year as a development roster player this year.

2010 draft pick Nane Joseph signed to a developmental contract, confirming that Gala has been moved to the senior roster.

That leaves 2 domestic and one international spot left on the roster.

As I recall he wasn't very highly rated at the combine.

Archived