TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TFC just made a trade with the Colorado Rapids. Jacob Peterson (right midfield) for allocation money. Belated replacement for Rohan Ricketts basically.

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100121&content_id=7947568&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Toronto FC announced Thursday they have acquired midfielder Jacob Peterson from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for allocation money. Per league and team policies financial terms were not available. "This is a player that Preki has been wanting for some time," said director of soccer Mo Johnston. "We're looking forward to bringing him into camp and getting him working with the rest of the players." ...

Pretty good move, we desperately needed a true right sided midfielder. Like BBTB mentioned a very belated replacement for Rollin' Ricketts.

Here's the skinny on Jacob Peterson for those who want it.

"Jacob Peterson is a skillful and tricky forward that creates problems for opposing teams' defenses with his quick moves and natural ability, which he developed during his years with the NCAA Men's Soccer Champion Indiana University and the youth ranks of the U.S. Men's National Team. "

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t101&player=peterson_j&playerId=pet185981&statType=current

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Peterson

seems like a pretty solid trade. I wonder why Colorado let him go so cheaply? A semi regular starter being traded straight up for allocation seems a bit odd. You would think the Rapids might have wanted more in return.

On the other hand, maybe the player wanted out of Colorado or the have their sights set on someone to take his spot on the roster

EDIT: Having just read Duane Rollins post about this trade, maybe I can see why Colorado gave him up relatively cheap

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/01/jacob-peterson-to-tfc.html

Wow so he's hurt and sounds like he could be a white Wynne. Another right sided player that can run, but can't exactly play soccer.

Best not to jump to conclusions based on what you see on the TFC messageboards sometimes maybe. A close to 40% Yes response to a poll question of "Should we re-sign Rohan Ricketts?" on the RPB board just made my jaw drop. Preki has built a reputation for having a good record when it comes to building a roster through the waiver draft etc based on players other teams didn't rate too highly. That's why several franchises wanted to hire him when he left Chivas and MLSE were willing to loosen the purse strings sufficiently to ensure that he wound up in Toronto. Given that track record I think we should have enough trust in his judgment at this point to wait to see the player in action for TFC before forming an opinion and second guessing the trade.

Best not to jump to conclusions based on what you see on the TFC messageboards sometimes maybe. A close to 40% Yes response to a poll question of "Should we re-sign Rohan Ricketts?" on the RPB board just made my jaw drop. Preki has built a reputation for having a good record when it comes to building a roster through the waiver draft etc based on players other teams didn't rate too highly. That's why several franchises wanted to hire him when he left Chivas and MLSE were willing to loosen the purse strings sufficiently to ensure that he wound up in Toronto. Given that track record I think we should have enough trust in his judgment at this point to wait to see the player in action for TFC before forming an opinion and second guessing the trade.

Yeah, I'm not wrinting anybody off till I see them play regulary, but I do take most of whats on message boards with a grain of salt. Though a player who's speed sounds to be his biggest assest at the least blew his knee out last year, can never be a great sign.

Yet, I will give him chance as everyone should; as Preki is the guy who really liked him and Jacob is still young.

Latest from Gareth Wheeler on how the team is shaping up:-

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/01/25/12598676-sun.html

Make of it what you will given he appears to contradict himself on two major issues. In one paragaph all the interest for draft day trades was on Stefan Frei then four paragraphs later it is Sam Cronin. He also starts off the article by saying Preki is "the guiding force" but later on the implication is that it's Mo Johnston making the final decision on things. The one interesting snippet, in my opinion, is the final paragraph:-

As trade bait, Marvell Wynne has been dangled, but there's next to no market. Wynne's stock has dropped considerably over the last year, despite being involved with the U.S. national team set-up. No MLS team came calling for the speedster in draft-day trade talks.

but I seriously question whether Wheeler is in the loop enough to know that. Why would Mo or Preki tell him? Reads more like an educated guess to me.

Yeah I was battling that Ricketts, anti-Peterson stupidity with fury. Irrational approaches to things. I think lots of people don't really get Preki.

He built Chivas into a strong club by taking lead and turning it into gold. The man is an alchemist. He had a shoe string budget and made it work. With TFC he has the full cap range to work with and the ability to make things work.

I suspect this will be a Preki signing rather than a Mo Johnston one if it actually happens. May well be a player he had his eye on while still with Chivas. I think Preki was appointed quickly enough after the end of the season that he would have been able to have a major say when discovery claims started to be made for the upcoming season. If Preki rates Nana Attakora (the reason I utter that heresy in Voyageurs Board terms is that I question whether his distribution is good enough for a more possession oriented style at this point?) then maybe Serioux moves to right back where he played with FC Dallas and Marvel Wynne can potentially be traded for help elsewhere. Then the remaining major issue would be replacing Fellinga as the competition for Brennan on the left.

Edit: Turns out it's just a trial and no contract has been offered yet.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/01/20/12546516-qmi.html

Toronto FC confirmed Wednesday that veteran Egyptian defender Ibrahim Saied has been offered a tryout. The defender was quoted on Egyptian websites stating that he had signed with the club and would go to the United States for a medical.

The club confirmed the defender has been offered a trial, not a contract. He is scheduled to join the team at its winter training camp base in Bradenton, Fla. in February.

Im not sure if TFC needs a guy that has disagreed with coachs on there team tho, is he going to play hard the whole season or is he going to stop playing hard when he disagrees with the team staff

also its too bad Fellinga is gone I really liked him, I thought he even out played many players at outside midfield when he started. I think he was never given a chance and he was not getting a lot of money too.

Latest potential target for TFC appears to be a striker from T&T called Kerry Baptiste:-

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161590187

Joe Public FC’s Kerry Baptiste is in demand, after MLS clubs FC Dallas and Toronto FC recently expressed interest in the Trinidad and Tobago striker...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Baptiste

Only problem is FC Dallas are said to be interested as well and he is about to have a trial with Ipswich Town.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Carl Robinson has been traded to NYRB:-

http://threefourthreefc.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/rbny-get-carl-robinson-in-exchange-for-draft-picks/

Obviously one of the players that Preki didn't want. Hopefully if this turns out to be accurate most of the "north of 200k" that TFC have to contribute towards his salary this season is based on allocation money and won't count against TFC's salary cap this season.

http://threefourthreefc.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/rbny-get-carl-robinson-in-exchange-for-draft-picks/

Obviously one of the players that Preki didn't want. Hopefully if this turns out to be accurate most of the "north of 200k" that TFC have to contribute towards his salary this season is based on allocation money and won't count against TFC's salary cap this season.

Interesting, not surprising though; hopefully this means we have someone or maybe more than one player lined up to join the squad.

Wow, I agree that they needed to get rid of Robinson but the fact that they have to eat 200 000 of his salary to get anyone to take him shows how much Mo overpaid for this guy! As a Impact fan, I can only say: Make Mo TFC manager for life! :)

Latest from John Molinaro is that he has been released.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/03/06/sp-tfcrobinson.html

...CBCSports.ca has learned veteran Welsh midfielder Carl Robinson has been released by TFC and will go on trial with the New York Red Bulls.

If Robinson, 33, signs with New York, Toronto would still be responsible for paying a portion of his salary, but would receive an undisclosed number of draft picks from the Red Bulls in exchange...

Mo Johnston has to take a lot of the responsibility for giving Carl Robinson a two year guaranteed deal at over 300k a year but it's maybe worth bearing in mind that pretty much as soon as John Carver was out of the picture Mo Johnston was trying to bring in Julian de Guzman for the holding midfielder role.

hmmm, now can Mo suck it up and do it this again with Garcia this time. I'm fine if Barrett sticks around even though his contract is a little high; proved last year he is a little versatile and can be played in other spots other that striker.

I wonder what this makes the 'healthy' starting 11 look like with the guys we have right now, lol pretty thin compared to most MLS teams right now. Most have more than 24 players on their roster; while TFC have the league low of 20 (not including trialists.

-----------------Frei

Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennan

Peterson-Cronin-DeGuzman-DeRosario

-----------Barrett--Gerba

Edwards

Sanyang

Harden

Ibrahim

White

I don't see the roster restrictions expanding at all, so I assume TFC will probably go with a less than 24 players squad again. with 2 hurt and 2 still 17/18 years of age. TFC should deifnitely be trying to put together a max player squad. Which would leave at least 4 players left to add and that's if Herold and Joeseph stay with the team. Taht would make a possible 6 payers to add. Once again Mo is leaving it till last minute and will probably come short and TFC will play half the season basically down men. I'm grateful Mo doesn't run the Caps.

Added Carl Robinson release and started the 2010 roster.

Even wih Preki at the helm (who I'm fairly high on as a manager), I don't see this roster being capable of making the playoffs.

Other teams manage their rosters much better then TFC and I think have made more improvements then TFC (enough teams to keep TFC out of the playoffs)

At the moment the team is weaker then at the end of the season.

Mo Johnston has to take a lot of the responsibility for giving Carl Robinson a two year guaranteed deal at over 300k a year but it's maybe worth bearing in mind that pretty much as soon as John Carver was out of the picture Mo Johnston was trying to bring in Julian de Guzman for the holding midfielder role.

And the incompetent Carver was hired by who?

At the moment the team is weaker then at the end of the season.

It goes without saying that the roster is weaker right now as 4 or 5 players still need to be added. The time to assess where the team is at is when numbers are back up to full strength again. De Guzman and De Rosario linking up in central midfield would be comparable in quality to Robinson and Guevara and arguably even an upgrade with Cronin and Sanyang available as adequate inexpensive cover. If quality signings can be made to fill in the gaps at left and right mid and Serioux can be effectively replaced at the back then the team will be no worse than at the end of last season and may even be more balanced as the disproportionate number of central midfielders should have been resolved.

And the incompetent Carver was hired by who?

A truly bizarre post. Can you still not see beyond the Reda/Braz/Pozniak issue from the 2007 season? I would not have been the least bit bothered if Mo Johnston and John Carver had both left at the end of the 2008 season. That would have been the ideal time to get somebody like Preki in to move things in a new direction given all the allocation money that was available from the Mo Edu transfer.

Archived