TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

So that leaves one senior roster spot (may be the first time TFC has ever been this close to a full roster) and two Academy spots open.

Think you'll find the senior roster is full now. You haven't added Usanov to the list in the original post so far. Given only 5 Canadian players are required I suspect Gabe Gala may be on thin ice right now. I think he's too young to be on a guaranteed deal under the new CBA. Sam Cronin might also be the prime candidate for a trade.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Garcia has a guaranteed deal so there is no way to get rid of him until the end of the season. Getting rid of Nane would only free up a developmental roster spot, which would be of zero value in terms of adding another experienced player to the senior roster.

wasn't Gerba on a guaranteed contract. I'm sorry BBTB, but if that's their excuse for keeping Garcia around it's a crap one. Management needs to eat that contract for the good of the team. We will end up paying less if we pay him to stay home than pay him to lose us games.

wasn't Gerba on a gauranteed contract. I'm sorry BBTB, but if thats they exciuse for keeping Garcia around it's a crap one. Managment needs to eat that contract for the good of the team. We will ened up paying less if we pay him to stay home than pay him to lose us games.

I agree with TKM on this one. Which player has shown complete inablility to play at this level? Garcia. Now Ali may have not impressed Preki but he would have been a lot better to keep around than Garcia. I think Ali could have played CB better than Garcia has done. So they cut/release/ease out Adrian, Ali and Jim but keep Garcia? Plain old boys network crap favoritism from where I'm sitting (Caps fan but interested in seeing TFC make the playoffs). That will lose the coach a lot of respect real quick. If Garcia gets on the field again and costs you another goal please chant something along the lines of "Garcia Sucks" real loud so Preki will get the message.

Think you'll find the senior roster is full now. You haven't added Usanov to the list in the original post so far. Given only 5 Canadian players are required I suspect Gabe Gala may be on thin ice right now. I think he's too young to be on a guaranteed deal under the new CBA. Sam Cronin might also be the prime candidate for a trade.

Yep, I stand corrected on that. Aded him to the arrivals but not the roster. Maybe first time the team has ever had a full roster. Mo always left at least 2 or 3 open (cap issues?).

The end of season roster last season had 3 vacancies, very few (if any) MLS teams do that.

I agree with TKM on this one. Which player has shown complete inablility to play at this level? Garcia.

People appear to be keen to start some kind of argument. You will find multiple threads where I have stated that I think Garcia should be dropped for Thursday's game and multiple threads where I have stated that the Gerba/Garcia trade could be what ends Mo Johnston's career at TFC to an end. I have no interest in getting into a Gala vs Garcia squabble given I would prefer that Garcia were nowhere near BMO Field right now. Fact remains, however, that the most painless way to free up a roster spot without paying compensation that still counts against the salary cap is to get rid of a younger player, who isn't on a guaranteed deal. If somebody addresses that specific point there might be something worth discussing.

I can see Cronin being traded before Gala gets released, Cronin has lots of trade value within the league and his exclusion last game would suggest the Preki doesn't rate him. There's not much point in releasing Gala unless the team has another Canadian to fill his slot. There's reports of a couple CSLers being on trial with the team - Judah Hernandez and Boris Tomac. Not sure that moves for either are imminent, thought Hernandez has been trialing, or at least training, with TFC near on a month now. Maybe one or both of them have permanent resident status and could occupy a Canadian slot if the team dumps Gala.

There has been a recent rule change by the MLS competition committee (probably with a view to expansion to Vancouver and Montreal) that enables TFC to have the league-wide standard 8 international roster spots and 8 rather than 5 additional American players. Given three international spots have been traded for over and above that only 5 Canadian domestic players are currently required out of 24 on the senior and development rosters. Right now there are 6 i.e. Cann, DeRosario, JDG, Attakora, Gala and White (PR status). That means none of those six needs to be kept around at this point primarily to make up the numbers. With careers potentially on the line (mainly Mo but also Preki if things were to get really bad this season on an NYRB last season sort of scale) the powers that be at TFC are likely to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs this season. Hence why I think Gala may be on thin ice right noiw.

Latest from Mo Johnston:-

http://oyetimes.com/sports/79-soccer/2724-toronto-fc-hold-first-practice-on-new-pitch-at-bmo-field

So it seems the transformation of BMO Field is complete but can fans expect any more changes to the team?

“We’re trying,” added Johnston. “Money’s tight. Obviously we signed a lot of players in the last 3 or 4 weeks but I will always look to keep adding players and keep building.”

“We got upwards of 24 players, but I’m still looking at adding another centre back and another striker, if I can get that - hopefully in the near future. We got a young group so we need to add a little experience.”

People appear to be keen to start some kind of argument. You will find multiple threads where I have stated that I think Garcia should be dropped for Thursday's game and multiple threads where I have stated that the Gerba/Garcia trade could be what ends Mo Johnston's career at TFC to an end. I have no interest in getting into a Gala vs Garcia squabble given I would prefer that Garcia were nowhere near BMO Field right now. Fact remains, however, that the most painless way to free up a roster spot without paying compensation that still counts against the salary cap is to get rid of a younger player, who isn't on a guaranteed deal. If somebody addresses that specific point there might be something worth discussing.

BBTB, you've got to get over this persecution complex you have. TKM brings up a valid point that I had not considered before. All this time, I assumed Garcia was going nowhere because he's on a guaranteed deal however, so was Gerba (I think) and they shipped him out rather expediently. Interesting to see that they are all too keen to eat one contract but apparently not another.

I had zero interest in getting into an argument with tmcmurph on whether or not Nick Garcia should be on the roster. I wanted to see the back of him at the end of last season and nothing that has happened subsequently has changed my mind on that. My point about Gala had nothing to do with who most deserves to be off the roster and everything to do with who is most likely to be. Two very different issues. Garcia probably has zero trade value inside MLS unlike Carl Robinson and there is probably zero chance of him signing a contract with a lower division European club unlike Ali Gerba (who I suspect may already have a pre-contract sorted out for a move in the summer window) so although hypothetically Nick Garcia could be traded or persuaded to sign a contract buyout for less than his contract is worth I would have thought it obvious that it's highly unlikely to happen. That's all I have to say on this particular topic.

Yeah, i can't see Mo or Preki approaching Garcia about a buyout. Not just from a friends/former teammates angle, but also from a politics/networking angle. Garcia strikes me as potentially future managment material and you don't want to piss off someone who might give you a job in the future.

Looks like Sam Cronin may move to right back:-

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/14/sp-tfc-cronin.html

During Wednesday morning's practice at BMO Field, Preki used sophomore midfielder Sam Cronin at right defender. Cronin, selected second overall in last year's MLS draft, distinguished himself during the 2009 MLS campaign with his amazing versatility, slotting in seamlessly in a variety of midfield positions. Newcomer Dan Gargan struggled somewhat during Saturday's 4-1 loss to the New England Revolution, and although Preki didn't tip his hand, he didn't rule out starting Cronin at right back for the team's home opener, Thursday against the expansion Philadelphia Union.

"At his younger age, he played there. In his first year or two in college, too, so we're just looking at that," Preki explained. "We don't want to forget that that's where he started. Right now we have quite a few midfielders, and the competition for spots is pretty good, so it's up to all them to keep their spots."

Looks like Sam Cronin may move to right back:-

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/14/sp-tfc-cronin.html

During Wednesday morning's practice at BMO Field, Preki used sophomore midfielder Sam Cronin at right defender. Cronin, selected second overall in last year's MLS draft, distinguished himself during the 2009 MLS campaign with his amazing versatility, slotting in seamlessly in a variety of midfield positions. Newcomer Dan Gargan struggled somewhat during Saturday's 4-1 loss to the New England Revolution, and although Preki didn't tip his hand, he didn't rule out starting Cronin at right back for the team's home opener, Thursday against the expansion Philadelphia Union.

"At his younger age, he played there. In his first year or two in college, too, so we're just looking at that," Preki explained. "We don't want to forget that that's where he started. Right now we have quite a few midfielders, and the competition for spots is pretty good, so it's up to all them to keep their spots."

Always thought Sam could fit into the back 4, as long as it means it displaces Garcia from the the pitch.

^ Probably played for Skonto and is a client of New Wave.

Great ... he's as good as signed then.

Gomez was ok, I won't lose much sleep if he's gone. I do find it funny however that last years "hot prospect" is now on the scrap heap. Now were making room for "young talent". Seems to be our opinion changes like the wind.

Always thought Sam could fit into the back 4, as long as it means it displaces Garcia from the the pitch.

You can sort of make a guess at the way he reads the play on the field (and moves with it) that there could be something of a fullback/wingback in him. Maybe not the best defensively but I think he's got the eye, and enough patience, for picking his spots if you follow.

Whether or not he (or any lesser experienced player) can be comfortably fitted into a TFC defensive corp that seems to still be looking for on-field leadership I don't know. But I'm comfortable with this experiment. A potentially intriguing development.

I've read some spec. elsewhere that Gomez has been released. Anyone else heard that? Big mistake if true.

I don't think they can right now unless he agreed some kind of contract buyout. Don't think an injured player can be placed on waivers.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/regulations

(III.) METHODS OF RELEASING PLAYERS (A) WAIVERS

Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players on guaranteed contracts waived on or after July 1 of any year, however, will continue to have their salary budget count against the team's salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Players may not be waived while they are injured, unless the League reaches a settlement with the injured player for his release. In such a scenario, the settlement amount will be charged to the team's salary budget. Upon return to fitness, however, a player may be waived normally.

Just saw this posted on the RPB board. The latest transfer target appears to be Angolan international (grew up in Portugal) Rui Marques:-

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/Leeds-United-Rui-can-be.6260868.jp

RUI MARQUES is considering an offer from Major League Soccer club Toronto after making what could be his final appearance for Leeds United.

The Angolan international is expected to fly out to Canada next month to explore the possibility of a transfer to the North American League with his contract at Elland Road set to expire.

Marques is in the final stages of the two-year deal he signed with Leeds in 2008 and his agent, Hayden Evans, told the YEP that Toronto have made a firm enquiry about the former Stuttgart and Maritimo defender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rui_Marques

Presumably a prorated salary for 2010 could easily be fitted in for another experienced central defender once the summer window opens up and they would then be able to find the extra cap space for 2011 once Garcia gets jettisoned at the end of the season (barring miraculous change in form of course).

Latest from T&T is that Kerry Baptiste will be on trial with TFC soon:-

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161649586

Joe Public striker Kerry Baptiste is likely to fly off to Canada-based Major League Soccer (MLS) club Toronto FC next month following the end of the Caribbean Club Championship final round, which runs from May 5-9.

Baptiste is being eyed by the Canadian MLS club and says he is looking forward to impressing during his one-week visit, which could land him a deal. He has also been invited by English Championship club Ipswich Town to be part of their pre-season campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Baptiste

So it looks like another centre half and another striker is very much on the agenda as additions during the summer transfer window.

Latest from T&T is that Kerry Baptiste will be on trial with TFC soon:-

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161649586

Joe Public striker Kerry Baptiste is likely to fly off to Canada-based Major League Soccer (MLS) club Toronto FC next month following the end of the Caribbean Club Championship final round, which runs from May 5-9.

Baptiste is being eyed by the Canadian MLS club and says he is looking forward to impressing during his one-week visit, which could land him a deal. He has also been invited by English Championship club Ipswich Town to be part of their pre-season campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Baptiste

So it looks like another centre half and another striker is very much on the agenda as additions during the summer transfer window.

Interesting, Marques would be a pretty good addition, Solid player, though questionable how much he has left in the tank has not been the first choice centre half for Leeds who play in League One.

Baptiste is sorta a wildcard move; however I've been on the side of things when his name first came up that he could be successful in the MLS. He has had some quality games in the CONCACAF with a side that lacks any real quality. Most his goals with TT are of his doing and his work. I have a good feeling that he could step into the starting role if he can stay healthy. Allowing White and Barrett to be in a super sub role as they can provide with some late sparks and energy when they come off the bench.

DeRo and Baptiste is potentially a dangerous duo up front for TFC.

• 1 month later...

Archived