TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't agree more, Guevara is a big loss I was surprised to see some TFC fans happy of his departure. The absence of Amando offensives skills will hurt TFC badly in the midfield and unlike some people I really doubt JDG can do much about it.

Amando's offense was gonna be missing whether he was here or not. The guy is full of skill, but lacks consistent form and will be away from the team with Honduras too much.

The problem is not that Amado is gone (at his age he was going to be gone sooner than later), it's that a proper replacement hasn't been found. I mean seriously, how hard is it to go down to Argentina and find a decent #10 who is willing to play in MLS for a cool quarter Mil a season!?

Morales and Gomez come to mind. Gomez was originally signed as a non-DP...when i say decent, i mean by MLS standards, not Primera standards.

After the Vitti experiement I doubt Mo goes looking in Argentina again. I would be looking at the Mex Premier league to be honest. Someone like Zepeda or Itamar, even 36 year old Alvaro Fabian Gonzalez who has 5 goals in 7 matches with Puebla FC.

Gomez was a decent MLS signing for sure.

^ Hey, if Mo can lure someone from Mexico then all the power to him. The reason i mentioned Argentina is because of the value that can be had from that country with their current economic situation and most clubs losing money. Mexican futbol on the other hand is flush with cash, even the smaller Primera clubs have budgets bigger than the MLS cap, so it'd be harder to lure players from there.

Thats the type of move that could either make Gerba realize that he's running out of race track, and make him get his act together OR just buries him for good. Can't imagine that there is demand for him in MLS, with the exception of maybe San Jose with the Yallop connection.

^ Hey, if Mo can lure someone from Mexico then all the power to him. The reason i mentioned Argentina is because of the value that can be had from that country with their current economic situation and most clubs losing money. Mexican futbol on the other hand is flush with cash, even the smaller Primera clubs have budgets bigger than the MLS cap, so it'd be harder to lure players from there.

Yeah there are a few good pickups out there. While some guys have busted, for the most part MLS has been pretty successful in bringing in the playmakers from down here.

Add David Ferreira to the list also. He's a strange little man, but with 8 goals and 7 assists coming to FCD last year, after a slow start he was a major catalyst down the stretch.

Thats the type of move that could either make Gerba realize that he's running out of race track, and make him get his act together OR just buries him for good. Can't imagine that there is demand for him in MLS, with the exception of maybe San Jose with the Yallop connection.

They might also be hoping he exercises some kind of option in his contract about returning to Europe. He appeared to do quite well for MK Dons so there might still be some demand for his services there despite the fact that MLS has appeared to be too high a standard for him so far. Andy Welsh eventually turned his career around again at Yeovil Town in League One after failing miserably in MLS.

They might also be hoping he exercises some kind of option in his contract about returning to Europe. He appeared to do quite well for MK Dons so there might still be some demand for his services there despite the fact that MLS has appeared to be too high a standard for him so far. Andy Welsh eventually turned his career around again at Yeovil Town in League One after failing miserably in MLS.

Yeah, that could happen there are a handul League One and Two teams definitely could use Gerba services.

• 2 weeks later...

Par for the course when dealing with a salary cap. The question of whether players are good enough is only part of the equation. I can understand why Cann has some leverage in contract negotiations given the relative lack of MLS quality Canadian players and the departure of Sutton, Harmse and Serioux over the last twleve months with Gerba soon to follow but I'm surprised that would be an issue with a player arriving from a club in Slovenia.

Cann and Saric still in mind but deemed "expensive" by Mo. TFC may have 15 healthy players to open the season. Hilarious:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/03/24/sp-mls-torontofc-recruits.html

I love how people believe Preki is in complete control now, when his player personal decisions have to tip toe around Mo's approval. Mo is still higher than him the the management and still can nix most of what Preki is trying accomplish.

15 healthy players, to start a top tier professional season of football is unthinkable, thin is a understatement. TFC has two healthy strikers to start the campaign in OB and Ibbe. Barrett and Peterson are gone for a little bit, and Gomez on the mend. Herold, Gala and Joseph still are complete question marks.

As much as it was totally needed to blow up and start again so to speak, but to see it still unbelievably behind the ball in terms of time management towards getting a full squad to their liking is tough to see. I think everyone in Canada wants TFC to succed whether your a Caps or Impact fan all it mean is more exposure and places to develop the sport in Canada. Only when we go head to head should we really have a reason to distance from each other.

To be honest I think Preki has made some mistakes getting rid of some these players. I just don't see many better options that are gonna fall into TFC's laps in such a short time to be an impact and help out now. I think he should of maybe done some of these over the course of the season; as it now is a question to whether they end up having to settle with players of equal or lesser accord than those who left just because of how thin the team is if anybody else goes down, Dichio will be dressing again. Of course their players you'd like to have, but in the MLS, being in Canada, being so close to the start of the season and end of a CBA dispute as well as CAP/Roster constraints, how many players want to come here? I think sticking with what we had till we secure the replacements, so depth isn't as disturbed so drastically, then move the players you want to.

Marvel Wynne has been traded according to Sportsnet on twitter:-

http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer

Marvell Wynne traded by TFC? Stay tuned.

No huge surprise that Preki didn't want him given his inability to maintain possession. Absolutely critical that they managed to get at least one starting quality player (preferrably two obviously) in return rather than allocation money or draft picks.

Edit: Rumours have been posted elsewhere that Nick Labrocca has been acquired from Colorado, which makes sense as that would fill the key void in the roster at left mid, and that Brian Edwards has been cut. If Cann and Saric also get signed there would be a reasonably balanced roster at that point and DeRosario could be played up front as the main goal threat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_LaBrocca

http://www.imscouting.com/players/nick-labrocca/

Luke Wileman is reporting that the ex-RBNY keeper Jon Conway who Chivas just waived was training with TFC today:-

http://twitter.com/lukewileman

Goalkeeper John Conway training with @torontofc in Oakville today. Was released by Chivas earlier this week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Conway

which appears consistent with the rumour about Edwards being cut.

Sportsnet twitter now mentions Nick Labrocca:-

http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer

Looks like MD Nick Labrocca comes to Toronto for Wynne. More movement to come.

He was on 70k last season so relatively inexpensive against the cap.

Edit:Also a draft pick involved according to Steven Goff of the Washington Post:-

http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider

Toronto sends D Marvell Wynne to Colorado to MF Nick LaBrocca and a draft pick, Insider has learned

Hopefully a reasonably high one that can be traded for another player.

I am still not feeling confident about the start of this season...

yeah, me too. Labrocca is a start, but still just a lateral move in terms of how many guys we got.

Hopefully this allows us to add a couple more players, still need to replace Gerba IMO and some depth guys, which Cann and Saric could provide, but then I figure Robinson and Serioux would of been just as good or betetr than the aforementioned two.

TFC needs to hope Gala, Ibrahim, Joseph and Herold are ready to contribute and that Gomez, Peterson and Barrett ain't out for too long. Not to mention that Sanyang, White, Gomez, Nana and Cronin are ready to be impactful regulars.

Archived