TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

The rumour elsewhere is that Sam Cronin is no longer with the team. Definitely no sign of him on TFC TV coverage of Saturday's open practice. Will be interesting to see if a trade has been made and what was obtained in return.

If he is gone then the Ornoch coming on rumor makes a lot of sense a fair trade off and TFC gets another domestic player which when Vancouver and Montreal join up will be at a premium. Canadian players across the globe are see a cash grab scene in the MLS, as roster restrictions will have us looking to attract a good number of Canadian's back home.

I would hope Cronin would bring in a player as well on top of Ornoch, as I don't see Cronin as a asset I'd let walk for nothing. He could be a regular in more than a few MLS squads in my opinion.

EDIT: on a side note haven't seen it anywhere, but Milos Kocic is on loan to the Serbian White Eagles from what I've read.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a mainstream media story about Cronin being traded:-

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/06/14/14391456.html

So, the player changes continue.

While Preki can’t yet confirm that Toronto FC has traded midfielder Sam Cronin — reportedly to the San Jose Earthquakes — only the details need to be ironed out.

Cronin, the second overall pick in the 2009 SuperDraft, was not being used much this season, and if you’re not playing, Preki would prefer you get out of the way.

“You’re always trying to do things to get better,” Preki said when asked about the timing of the pending Cronin deal. “We’re not looking to do anything crazy.”

Fingers crossed it's for a large enough portion of allocation money that a second DP signing can potentially be made on a prorated basis when the summer transfer window opens with the money being wasted on Gerba and Robinson this season being available next season to make up the difference.

^ Doesn't Kyle Porter still belong to the Whitecaps?

I believe so, that's why I think if the report about him being with the TFC camp is true it is him probably just training, rather than trialing, probably keeping fit until he heads back to Germany.

Latest elsewhere is that the allocation money from the Cronin trade may be being lined up to sign Mista one of JDG's ex-teammates from Deportivo La Coruna:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mista_%28footballer%29

would be an intriguing signing, he had lost a step at the La Liga level, but is only 4 years removed from some great form with Valencia.

He could be a force to reckon with in the MLS. I would have to think Mista would be as high profile signing as the Sounders Blaise Nkufo

would be an intriguing signing, he had lost a step at the La Liga level, but is only 4 years removed from some great form with Valencia.

He could be a force to reckon with in the MLS. I would have to think Mista would be as high profile signing as the Sounders Blaise Nkufo

N'Kufo has really lost his legs. I mentioned him 2 years ago on the old V's board as he then already stated that he wanted to move close to Canada, but I would think you'd rather see him in Seattle than Toronto.

Nkufo wouldn't have come to Toronto anyway, his wife is living in Vancouver so that's why he chose Seattle. Next year he might end up with the 'Caps...

Mistas' production has gone right down the crapper the last few years, ever since he left Valencia back in 2006.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to Univision TFC's latest target is Emilio Izaguirre of Motagua:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffutbol.univision.com%2Fcentroamerica%2Fhonduras%2Farticle%2F2010-08-10%2Femilio-izaguirre-aun-podria-emigrar&sl=es&tl=en

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilio_Izaguirre

Hopefully Amado Guevara tells him good things about TFC because with George Welcome also potentially heading to Ibrox, Rangers would appear to be the more likely destination. Beyond that I find it slightly surprising that there would be cap space available to add a player of his quality even allowing for the salary cap hit being prorated. Suggests someone well paid may be departing.

Thing is with Rangers, for all the prestige, they haven't bought a player since Mo Edu over two years ago. They have NO money to spend (or unless they sell - which they might have a bit of money from the Danny Wilson transfer). With that in mind - TFC actually could actually compete for this signing.

Not sure about well paid but you have Hrscanovics making over 100K and hasn't seen the pitch in quite a while. I'd think his days are numbered.

Haha Guevara might have good things to say about Toronto, but what about Preki ;P

Garcia has been playing decent enough lately (and his contract is not guaranteed past this year) that we might be able to offload him to a team with cap space - as long as we sweeten the pot with one of our many 2nd round picks. That move combined with some allocation money and we might just be able to fit Izaguirre under the cap.

edit: Just realized Izaguirre is under contract and would probably require a sizeable (relative to what MLS is willing to spend) transfer fee to sign. Not coming to T.O. unless some very alternative agreement is reached.

Rangers just made a 4 million pound bid for a Croatian player called Nikica Jelavic so clearly they do have money to spend.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/191537/Jelavic-could-be-Prso-clone-says-legend-Durie/

There's a lot of wishful thinking amongst Celtic supporters at the moment that Rangers are a spent force financially but that should be taken with a pinch of salt given they tend to conveniently overlook the fact that Rangers have won the SPL title twice in a row since Mo Edu's arrival and have, therefore, been able to get away without signing players up to now. I suspect having a guaranteed place in UEFA's version of the Champions League is what might entice Izaguirre to Ibrox as well as helping to provide the finances to make it happen.

Given Izaguirre is a left wingback, the thought that crossed my mind initially was whether Nick Garcia's recent relative improvement as a left back might have sparked interest elsewhere (the only other >150k salaries are Mista, Barrett, JDG and DeRosario and I suspect they are not going anywhere). Seemed a bit far-fetched and the rumour that circulates amongst the fan group types (well RPB anyway) is that San Jose are actually taking a large chunk of the salary cap hit at the moment for much the same sort of reason that TFC are still on the hook where Carl Robinson is concerned. Maybe more allocation money is available than has generally been realized?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived