TFC Roster Dance 2010

MM2

Standing back from the fray, and hand grenades thrown in the general directon of Mo Johnston, a hazy picture of what has been happening seems to be emerging.

1. The presser held this week about a "player signing" changed its topic to Jimmy B retiring, suggesting that they planned to announce the Latvian's signing but the papers didn't show up in time. Since they had intended to follow up with the retirement announcement, that got moved up.

2. The 2009 squad was expected to make the playoffs. Unfortunately, the club has never had an experienced head coach, and lack of preparation and motivation skills from those in the job did the team in. The alleged dressing room splits and indiscipline are just symptoms. All things considered, it was a near miss, but there was just one year in which to do it.

3. When Preki was hired (who is the first experienced head coach we have had), he looked at the number of well paid players who had gone past 30 years of age, and pointed out to the club that it was down hill from then on with the squad. He has proceeded to dismantle all that Johnston did, and to begin to build a competent squad, if not flashy.

The best the fan can do is be patient and give him some time. Just my thoughts, anyway.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right now i feel that to get the best quality soccer in the mls we need those over thirty guys.

theres no money here to attract young excellent players and so id rather see older players past their prime who might not be as fast but are highly skilled.

as far as preki....

im not 2 sure i like the way this team is going at all. So far the pre season has been a disaster, the team is significantly worse than last year. i hope to catch a few games this year live now that ive moved to Toronto and i hope preki proves me wrong. there was 5 cmnt players last year (+ attackora who is an excellent prospect) now there are what 2.

Adrian, Brennan and gerba all gone. + Guevara and Robinson both very skilled midfielders gone.

at least the league has budged and is allowing for clubs to develop their own players.

last year the problem was at cb and forwards

the midfeild was really strong.

this year....

i feel so bad for garcia, hes been so prone to mistakes at tfc/

hes been a good player in the past but has completely lost his confidence.

this was his chance to get it back and now im sure its even worse.

Well there appears to be reason to believe that Maxim Usanov is about to be signed:-

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/04/intern-is-getting-fired.html

Transfermarket.de claims that he is a centre back:-

http://transfermarkt.de/en/maksim-usanov/profil/spieler_17114.html

which may mean the end of the road as a regular starter for Nick Garcia.

either Johnson or Skonto's previous manager Paul Ashworth (who might have worked with Johnson before at Peterbourgh)

One thing is for sure, Preki is winning me over with the whole Eastern Europe invasion on the club, he just needs a Ukrainian on the team now to really speak to my heart.

I just hope Hscanovic and Usanov can make so Garcia never see's the pitch again and replace Brennan's left side presence.

Anyone out there good at making FIFA Caps for players that ain't in the game, if anyone wnats to give it a shot and try and make some accurate Caps for Usanov, Hscanovics, Gargan, Saric, and Kocic. I assume Fifa won't be making an update for the MLS anytime soon.

last year the problem was at cb and forwards

the midfeild was really strong.

this year....

i feel so bad for garcia, hes been so prone to mistakes at tfc/

hes been a good player in the past but has completely lost his confidence.

this was his chance to get it back and now im sure its even worse.

It'd be nice to retire him and put him somewhere far far away...Thunder Bay Chill anyone?

The Toronto Sun got confirmation that Usanov has signed a four year deal from his agent:-

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/11/13541526.html

Russian signing

Hscanovics is not the only new defender in the fold for the club.

The Reds have signed Russian defender Maxim Usanov to a four-year deal, according to the player’s agent.

Star Management Signings, which represents Usanov and Hscanovics — who were teammates at Latvian club Skonto Riga — confirmed Saturday that the Russian had signed a four-year deal with Toronto FC.

The club has not yet announced the signing.

Maxim Usanov is the same height as Franco Baresi, for what it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Usanov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Baresi

and only slightly less tall than Nick Garcia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Garcia

If more of a stopper-sweeper type setup is in place at the back it isn't necessarily hugely unusual to have a centre back under 6 foot tall. It remains to be seen what role Usanov is being signed for. He's also been described as being a right back. I don't follow the Latvian league so can't claim to be an expert on that.

being 5'9'' may not be the preferred height for a CB., but if he is athletic enough to he will be fine; as long as during corner matching he doesn't line up beside Andy Iro types. Hopefully he has some springboards for legs.

I have a feeling he will be taking the RB spot over anyways letting Nan move back to the middle to take Garcia's spot.

---------------Frei

Usanov-Nana-Harden-Hscanovics

---------JDG------Cronin

Saric-------------------LaBrocca

-----------------DeRo

-----------Barrett

Leaving Gomez, Gargan, Joseph, Sanyang, Ibrahim, Conway and White on the bench

Garcia needs to be cut, and Peterson needs to get healthy

New guy is supposed to be a RB, so i wouldn't worry about his height too much. We are still badly in need of a central defender. I don't think Harden is enough to plug the holes.

Nane Joseph = first wave client ... need i say more. Rumour floating around was that TFC had to pull just to get him invited to the MLS combine and he was awful.

One thing is for sure, Preki is winning me over with the whole Eastern Europe invasion on the club, he just needs a Ukrainian on the team now to really speak to my heart.

Here's your man. A Ukrainian-Latvian. A highly touted youth player at Southamption, but couldn't get a work permit. And a striker to boot. Seems to tick off all of the boxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrejs_Perep%C4%BCotkins

So that leaves one senior roster spot (may be the first time TFC has ever been this close to a full roster) and two Academy spots open.

Yeah, Cann hopefully can find some form. Never been a overly impressed with him, but the depth is needed now for TFC. This hopefully means the end of Garcia...Then we need to add a Striker or 2 maybe another CB.

Nana, Cann, Gomez and Harden may suffice at CB spot if Preki can get his system drilled into their heads. Usanov and Hscanovics will have to be more or less cover for the CB's rather than overlapping cover for the Wings. Hpefully this formula means less goals conceded as that will turn into more points. We also need to play JDG in a defensive role more or less with Cronin and Sanyang to also help cover the CB. DeRo, Saric, LaBrocca, Barrett, Gala and Peterson(when healthy) can all be effective in the counter attack, if we can keep the goals to 0 or 1 on our end we can win games on the counter. We just have to become solid at the back, if we play our Central Midfield and all 4 defenders back TFC maybe able to be effective defensively while threatening with counter attacks.

Yeah, Cann hopefully can find some form. Never been a overly impressed with him, but the depth is needed now for TFC. This hopefully means the end of Garcia...Then we need to add a Striker or 2 maybe another CB.

Nana, Cann, Gomez and Harden may suffice at CB spot if Preki can get his system drilled into their heads. Usanov and Hscanovics will have to be more or less cover for the CB's rather than overlapping cover for the Wings. Hpefully this formula means less goals conceded as that will turn into more points. We also need to play JDG in a defensive role more or less with Cronin and Sanyang to also help cover the CB. DeRo, Saric, LaBrocca, Barrett, Gala and Peterson(when healthy) can all be effective in the counter attack, if we can keep the goals to 0 or 1 on our end we can win games on the counter. We just have to become solid at the back, if we play our Central Midfield and all 4 defenders back TFC maybe able to be effective defensively while threatening with counter attacks.

So what is system Preki has for the TFC defence ? I am interested to know what you think he is implementing as his defensive tactics in the back line ...

So what is system Preki has for the TFC defence ? I am interested to know what you think he is implementing as his defensive tactics in the back line ...

Honestly, lol couldn't tell yah I'm not Preki, but we were all lead to believe when he was hired that he is a defense first coach and has a strict system to be put in place. Have we seen eveidence of this yet, No. Is it because it is such a vastly different system than what we had previously, Maybe. What I do know is you can't get a read on what a coach has done to a team's dynamics and interworking in 180 minutes of play, No matter what the 180 minutes of play have to show.

He likes his backline to play the offside trap, atelast that's what i've noticed in the first two games. Usually that's something that takes time to master, so a bit courageous to be playing that way from the get-go. As was evident a few times in Columbus, you can get burnt playing that way if everyone isn't on the same page.

Archived