September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The new head coms guy for the CSA.

He replaced Richard Scott. 

Generally speaking I rate him so far except for the fact that he gives even fewer fucks about publishing quality content in French than his predecessor.

I think Paulo has been with the CSA for a little while, I noticed his name before from them.  He's a feisty dude, he used to do the same job for the CFL.  When Sportsnet was doing their BS with the CFL (which they later admitted when Rogers bought into the Argos) he had no problem taking them on and calling them out.

Good hire for the CSA, now if he could only get them to stop with that stupid Euro writing of dates and the like in their releases.

15 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think Paulo has been with the CSA for a little while, I noticed his name before from them.  He's a feisty dude, he used to do the same job for the CFL.  When Sportsnet was doing their BS with the CFL (which they later admitted when Rogers bought into the Argos) he had no problem taking them on and calling them out.

Good hire for the CSA, now if he could only get them to stop with that stupid Euro writing of dates and the like in their releases.

lol Arash Madani and him used to have it out on twitter. 

He also worked for DAZN and the Canadian Olympic Committee. Has a good resume. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good team is a good team. Let’s see if we can beat them in normal weather now.

I have to agree with that.  I am in no way diminishing what we accomplished in the WCQ but it seemed almost every break fell our way.  Maybe that was God making up for 30 years of the opposite.

I also have to give Mexico credit for the Edmonton game.  They came to play and didn't give up, it will be interesting to play them again in a more "normal" environment (unless it's 40 degrees C)

42 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The new head coms guy for the CSA.

He replaced Richard Scott. 

Generally speaking I rate him so far except for the fact that he gives even fewer fucks about publishing quality content in French than his predecessor.

If he really wanted to impress me they would publicly broadcast Biello's presser

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Mexico friendly doesn’t move me, but not going to let that detract from the first real positive vibes around here since we qualified for the WC. Good team is a good team. Let’s see if we can beat them in normal weather now.

Is that just because they are a concacaf team? If so I feel you. 

Part of me feels a south american side would be more interesting, if not better. On the flipside, Mexico is still a top 20 team with a massive home field advantage so it's a solid test. And if we get a result we earn bragging rights within the region. 

Sure, we could play a Colombia or Ecuador, for example, but getting a result from them wouldn't move the needle much in terms of how our reputation in the region. At least that's my feeling on it. 

4 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I also have to give Mexico credit for the Edmonton game.  They came to play and didn't give up, it will be interesting to play them again in a more "normal" environment (unless it's 40 degrees C)

The match will be indoors.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is that just because they are a concacaf team? If so I feel you. 

Part of me feels a south american side would be more interesting, if not better. On the flipside, Mexico is still a top 20 team with a massive home field advantage so it's a solid test. And if we get a result we earn bragging rights within the region. 

Sure, we could play a Colombia or Ecuador, for example, but getting a result from them wouldn't move the needle much in terms of how our reputation in the region. At least that's my feeling on it. 

Yeah, exactly, they're concacaf and realistically, we'll play them at some point in the next 2 years one way or another. But ultimately, they are a top 10ish team in the world, tough but winnable game, and a lot of the more "interesting" teams probably don't have the same level of quality. Would've loved another european opponent because of that Netherlands friendly, but beating Mexico away from Canada at a stadium that will be overwhelmingly pro-Mexico would be a massive achievement for us, so at the end of the day, they're a good opponent. Also low enough stakes where we can also probably roll with a B squad since the game is in Texas anyways.

Has it been confirmed yet that we won't be in the Nations League group stage in that window? We are ranked 4th at the moment, with Costa Rica in 5th. I don't know if they can realistically catch us or not, but if we were to lose to T&T, Costa Rica beat Honduras, then go on a run in Copa America, maybe? I guess if that happens, we have to cancel the friendly, but maybe that happens sometimes when you schedule friendlies 6 months in advance. I wouldn't know because I don't remember us ever being that on the ball!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kent said:

Has it been confirmed yet that we won't be in the Nations League group stage in that window? We are ranked 4th at the moment, with Costa Rica in 5th. I don't know if they can realistically catch us or not...

Last year they used the March 31st rankings to determine the top 4

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/79076-concacaf-nations-league-20232024-group-stage-¼finals-general-thread/

I assume (and somebody good with the rankings please confirm) that if Costa Rica &/or Jamaica win and we lose, they still cannot catch us by the end of the month?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

Has it been confirmed yet that we won't be in the Nations League group stage in that window? We are ranked 4th at the moment, with Costa Rica in 5th. I don't know if they can realistically catch us or not, but if we were to lose to T&T, Costa Rica beat Honduras, then go on a run in Copa America, maybe? I guess if that happens, we have to cancel the friendly, but maybe that happens sometimes when you schedule friendlies 6 months in advance. I wouldn't know because I don't remember us ever being that on the ball!

AGR speculating a format change to allow CAN/MEX/USA to book friendlies in September.

Posted (edited)

https://www.nzfootball.co.nz/newsarticle/138594?newsfeedId=1223399

“We will likely have another game still to be announced in this window....

...A second fixture for the September FIFA international window is set to be confirmed and announced in due course."

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

we Should be playing Either The USA or Mexico at least once a year

That is great news from New Zeland. If no Asian team (or lowly ranked OFC or CAF team) travels to the USA in September, it would mean we may get a friendly vs the USA.

The USA would play us and then NZ.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

23 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

And what changed all of a sudden?

Mexico ran out of options so picked us as the best of what was still around.

Half the answer is in my opening post of this thread. There's nobody to play in this window.

The half-decent Asian sides won't be confirmed as available until they are officially knocked out of WCQ in June...

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_AFC_second_round

...and we would likely put up a better fight than them.

The only other options were to face the USA (again) or Panama.

31 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

And what changed all of a sudden?

DeVos said they couldn't accept the invite from the Saudis last fall even with them footing the bill because they didn't have the monies to then schedule 2 women's friendlies as part of the commitment to be equitable. But I think DeVos was out of his depth as General Secretary especially in terms of finances and governance issues.

But if really an equity issue, the men are now behind the women. Since last fall, the women have played 4 friendlies, have 2 more set for April and likely will have at least 2 more before the Olympics. Plus, they have played 6 competitive matches. The women have $2m+ OTP money to prep for the Olympics over 2 years. In the same period, the men have only played 1 friendly and 2 competitive matches.

Mexico matches in the US are set up by SUM. Ticket revenues, American sponsor monies and Spanish language tv rights in the US and Mexico all contribute to US-based matches generating 1/3 of Mexico's Fed revenue. So, at the very least Canada Soccer is getting costs covered and/or a low 6 figure appearance fee via SUM.

Edited by red card