September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

What is going on during those two windows?

UEFA: All teams will be playing UEFA Nations League.

OFC: New Zeland is free in September but not October. Same with the other (weaker) teams.

AFC: Weaker teams already knocked out of WCQing will be available. All the good teams will be in WCQing

CAF: African Cup of Nations qualifying. Only the four weakest nations will be free.

CONMEBOL: All will be playing WCQing

CONCACAF: All will be playing Nations League except for the top four rated teams, just like in 2023.

- - - - - - -

Assuming we don't drop from 4th to a lower ranking in the CONCACAF rankings by the cutoff date (late March?)

Given the serious lack of options, the rumour is that we have been invited by Mexico to play a friendly in the USA in September:

https://diariobasta.com/2024/02/21/la-seleccion-mexicana-cerca-de-amarrar-amistosos-contra-canada-y-nueva-zelanda/

Either Dallas or Los Angeles.

...and yes, I know the previous version of this thread gave us plenty of false hope as we only played one match against Japan out of a possible four during those two months last year:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/79077-september-and-october-2023-friendly-matches-plans-speculation-rumours-etc/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

32 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What is going on during those two windows?

UEFA: All teams will be playing UEFA Nations League.

OFC: New Zeland is free in September but not October. Same with the other (weaker) teams.

AFC: Weaker teams already knocked out of WCQing will be available. All the good teams will be in WCQing

CAF: African Cup of Nations qualifying. Only the four weakest nations will be free.

CONMEBOL: All will be playing WCQing

CONCACAF: All will be playing Nations League except for the top four rated teams, just like in 2023.

- - - - - - -

Assuming we don't drop from 4th to a lower ranking in the CONCACAF rankings by the cutoff date (late March?)

Given the serious lack of options, the rumour is that we have been invited by Mexico to play a friendly in the USA in September:

https://diariobasta.com/2024/02/21/la-seleccion-mexicana-cerca-de-amarrar-amistosos-contra-canada-y-nueva-zelanda/

Either Dallas or Los Angeles.

...and yes, I know the previous version of this thread gave us plenty of false hope as we only played one match against Japan out of a possible four during those two months last year:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/79077-september-and-october-2023-friendly-matches-plans-speculation-rumours-etc/

Maybe get creative. Something like Phillipines, where maybe the quality isn't as high but they can't be that expensive to host and maybe you can tap in to the diaspora to try and make it profitable at least.

42 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The below will be available

One of Thailand or China
One of Tajikistan or Jordan
One of Lebanon or Palestine
Two of Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam

Some good quality teams in there to kick a ball around with, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Maybe get creative. Something like Phillipines, where maybe the quality isn't as high but they can't be that expensive to host and maybe you can tap in to the diaspora to try and make it profitable at least.

Canadians might be outnumbered if Philippines play in Toronto or Calgary! :P

Edited by Mihairokov

2 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

With the train wreck that is the CSA, I would not get excited until they actually announce something.

A MEXTour friendly doesn't seem financially unreasonable given the money the FMF stands to make each time they play in the USA

(but we did turn down a generous offer from Saudi Arabia, so who knows?)

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

A MEXTour friendly doesn't seem financially unreasonable given the money the FMF stands to make each time they play in the USA

(but we did turn down a generous offer from Saudi Arabia, so who knows?)

What happened to the Colombia friendly? Btw the Saudi offer was rejected as the CSA didn't have games for the CWNT iirc. Something to do with gender equality...

I would be very happy to play Mexico in a friendly. Ideally we play teams outside our region, but anytime we can play a top 20 side in the world, we need to take it.

And I know Mexico are going through struggles, and are probably worse than their current ranking, but I do think the narrative about them being in the doldrums is overblown.

If they aren't a top 20 side, they are in the top 25 at least, and they are still deeper than we are by a very wide margin.

And I wonder if it'd be refreshing for them to play us instead of the USA.

If I were a Mexican fan I would probably welcome to sight of a Davies, David and Buchanan for a change, instead of the same old foes like Pulisic, McKenna, Weah, etc. It's gotten pretty one-sided anyway.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I would be very happy to play Mexico in a friendly. Ideally we play teams outside our region, but anytime we can play a top 20 side in the world, we need to take it.

And I know Mexico are going through struggles, and are probably worse than their current ranking, but I do think the narrative about them being in the doldrums is overblown.

If they aren't a top 20 side, they are in the top 25 at least, and they are still deeper than we are by a very wide margin.

And I wonder if it'd be refreshing for them to play us instead of the USA.

If I were a Mexican fan I would probably welcome to sight of a Davies, David and Buchanan for a change, instead of the same old foes like Pulisic, McKenna, Weah, etc. It's gotten pretty one-sided anyway.

...and we get a cut of the gate 💰 🤑 ??

10 hours ago, Kadenge said:

What happened to the Colombia friendly?

It never got confirmed.

That is a June rumour though.

10 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Btw the Saudi offer was rejected as the CSA didn't have games for the CWNT iirc. Something to do with gender equality...

That wasn't the reason. That's not what Jason Devos said.

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It never got confirmed.

That is a June rumour though.

That wasn't the reason. That's not what Jason Devos said.

IF we make Copa then they will get in one or two games before the tourney.  In theory...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Just announced Mexico friendly for September 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

September 10th, Arlington, Texas vs Mexico

https://canada-soccer-pressroom.prezly.com/canada-soccers-mens-national-team-to-play-mexico-in-september-window

"Canada Soccer is actively looking to schedule another opponent in the September window."

It may be tough to get a 2nd friendly for the window.

---

We will need to keep an eye on who the USA tries to play (invite) for that month.

Just now, Alex said:

The new head coms guy for the CSA.

He replaced Richard Scott. 

Generally speaking I rate him so far except for the fact that he gives even fewer fucks about publishing quality content in French than his predecessor.

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The new head coms guy for the CSA.

He replaced Richard Scott. 

Generally speaking I rate him so far except for the fact that he gives even fewer fucks about publishing quality content in French than his predecessor.

I guess we can expect another friendly this year then!

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

Probably an MLS squad. I don't see Euro based players come for 1 game, especially with their season just starting. 

Good. We could use a good ol' fashioned domestic squad. We have a lot of depth on this side of the pond in need of Canada matches

GK - Crepeau, St. Clair, Sirois

D - Laryea, Adekugbe, Bombito, Waterman, Miller, McGraw, McNaughton, Raposo

M - Oso, Piette, Choniere, Ahmed, Saliba, Fraser

F - Schaff, JRR, Tani Olu, Kerr, Vilsaint

Feels like I am missing someone and I probably am, but either way I would be happy to see something like that. We need to test out the depth and see who can step up. That off the top list is maybe lacking for wide attackers, but maybe we bring a T.J Tahid or Tavernier or some other CPL/U-20 player

Just now, Obinna said:

Good. We could use a good ol' fashioned domestic squad. We have a lot of depth on this side of the pond in need of Canada matches

GK - Crepeau, St. Clair, Sirois

D - Laryea, Adekugbe, Bombito, Waterman, Miller, McGraw, McNaughton, Raposo

M - Oso, Piette, Choniere, Ahmed, Saliba, Fraser

F - Schaff, JRR, Tani Olu, Kerr, Vilsaint

Feels like I am missing someone and I probably am, but either way I would be happy to see something like that. We need to test out the depth and see who can step up. That off the top list is maybe lacking for wide attackers, but maybe we bring a T.J Tahid or Tavernier or some other CPL/U-20 player

Enes Sali is eligible this fall. If he can have a good MLS season maybe we bring him to this...

6 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Where did all this cash come from all of a sudden?🙃

I think the new head of the CSA probably realizes it's better to accept all the quality friendlies possible and sort out any "balancing" later. But also with all due respect to Devos (who stepped in to a tough position), Blue's background is just more numbers and finance focused.