CPL Playoffs 2023

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the deck needs to be stacked heavily in favour of the teams that finish higher in the standings than those in the 4/5 play-in game. That helps to keep the regular season meaningful.

I see that MLS has gone that way with the first round best of three format, trying to lessen the likelihood of a top conference seed having too long a layoff and then sh*tting the bed in a one-off match.

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don't see why CPL should treat this differently than other leagues, particularly for knockout games in the playoffs. Many league's struggle to squeeze all their games into the year, particularly top teams, but they don't play matches while their best players are representing their countries. 

Well if CPL is to not treat it any differently, should the league also take a break for summer tournaments like the World Cup or the Gold Cup? At that point the league would basically have to go to the Fall to Spring season that most countries use, but of course that's not particularly reasonable for our league.

I don't think there is any slam dunk solution. If you take international breaks off, then either the season has to be extended earlier or later into the year, or you have to play more midweek games which isn't great for attendance as you are pointing out for tonight's Pacific game.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Who's rejecting coverage from TSN?

I assume the final say on the direction they chose to go would be TSN's President which is Stewart Johnston. Interesting that he is also vice chairman of the hockey hall of fame.

82a104.jpg

12 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Just got a timbit of news I cant confirm 100% but I heard Dada-Luke got a red card for his conduct today. Would that mean he is suspended next match??

If your tidbit is true then I believe that would be the case. 

Not sure on any appeal process but may depend on what the straight red was for?

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Brutal. What did he do?

I didn't see it but I heard he was taunting the fans by grabbng his 'junk'. One of the fans locally said they think the ref gave him a red card for it but there is nothing in the game stats that indicate that happened. Starting look like it may just be a 'rumor' ill try to do a bit more digging today.

Dada-Luke was right in front of me when he pulled pulled his stunt.  I didn't see a card given.  I'm obviously a devote Wanderers fan and I'll go on record saying I hope he doesn't get a red.  He's a good player, fun to watch and having him out for the rest of the playoffs doesn't do much for the competition.

It's over and done with in my opinion.  I'm getting old and the wiser me says I hope he feels at least a tinge of regret for what he did and doesn't go to that level again.  Sean Young was running in behind mock waving to the crowd that was fine... I mentioned in the game thread but I get it... big win on the road with the lots of adversity to overcome it would have been strange if they didn't give us some kind of send off. 

10 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

OK so update. Looks like Dada Luke *did get the red card* and will miss the rest of the playoffs. Just seen it on Soccer Canadas disciplinary report. Harsh way to go out for the playoff. Huge blow for Pacific - no?

https://canadasoccer.com/about-landing-page/disciplinary-matters/

Yes, big blow. Especially because Vliet didn't even travel. We might have to go with Amedume on the left and Mukumbilwa on the right. Not ideal. hope the fans throwing and spitting beer on him are also punished 

57 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

OK so update. Looks like Dada Luke *did get the red card* and will miss the rest of the playoffs. Just seen it on Soccer Canadas disciplinary report. Harsh way to go out for the playoff. Huge blow for Pacific - no?

https://canadasoccer.com/about-landing-page/disciplinary-matters/

Doniel Henry also misses the first three games of next season according to that page. There was no way that incident at the end of the game was going to pass without extra cards being shown if the ref involved wants to get anywhere at the domestic pro and FIFA level. Pacific will probably appeal but unless they can show the ref got it wrong in terms of the rules in some way it will probably stand. This sort of incident is difficult to misinterpret that way. You are most likely to get off if it was a case of mistaken identity.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Watching OneSoccer gushing over their win against Cavalry and remembering several instances where they overestimated their odds of winning Canadian Championship games significantly more then they tend to do for other CPL clubs...

Am I the only one who get the sense OneSoccer has a bit too much of a pro-Forge bias?

Guess it helps to be close to Toronto when a Toronto based media outlet is involved. Think Bobby Smyrniotis also gets hyped up a little too much sometimes as well by Onesoccer. If he wasn't able to use his Sigma contacts to stack his roster relative to what the opposition can do in another job at MLS or CMNT level would he be able to be anything like as effective?

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess it helps to be close to Toronto when a Toronto based media outlet is involved. Think Bobby Smyrniotis also gets hyped up a little too much sometimes as well by Onesoccer. If he wasn't able to use his Sigma contacts to stack his roster relative to what the opposition can do in another job at MLS or CMNT level would he be able to be anything like as effective?

Its more for another thread but the thing with Smyrniotis is that, while an undoubtedly talented coach, all he has achieved has been against fellow second-tier clubs in CONCACAF. He has been given numerous chances to show he could pull an upset against a higher-level club but he never managed one, even when he benefitted from not being taken seriously enough by its opponents (vs MTL in Canadian Championship in 2021) or playing against a team who didn't really care about that game deep down (against TFC in the ''2020 Canadian Championship''). That should be of more concerned to those hypping him.

Edited by phil03