CPL Playoffs 2023

26 minutes ago, chalms04 said:

Forge is guaranteed a spot if Cavalry beat Pacific in the semi. 

I'm not sure which spot carries more cache (if any) for the CCC draw. 

I don't think Concacaf has stated how the draw will proceed.

I'm assuming they will just use their Concacaf club ranking system. Based on that it will probably be all MLS and Liga MX teams in the first pot.

Doubt that's in any way unique. There are fewer steady 9 to 5 type jobs than there used to be that would clash with regular weekday morning training sessions and there are plenty of ways to have a side hussle with flexible hours in the modern economy. As long as it's not heavy manual labour I doubt the clubs will be all that bothered. Makes it easier to keep salaries low along with break even crowd levels.

7 hours ago, chalms04 said:

As @narduch suspects, it's the club ranking that determines seeding, rather than the old way of using qualifying slots to determine seeding (although qualifying slots DO determine at which point a team enters the tournament).

From the announcement of the club rankings.

• Clubs are awarded points for official international and domestic matches.
  • Dynamic rankings system will determine draw seedings for Concacaf Champions League and new regional cup competitions. 

19 hours ago, chalms04 said:

What happens if Forge lose? So finishing second in the regular season does not matter?

It's who finishes second in playoffs gets the spot?

Edited by MtlMario

In the old USL days, most players at the Canadian clubs did extra work for the organisations. I met quite a few players this way, taking my kid to Whitecaps camps, where they were coaching. This was in summers, in season, by the way, they were doing hours in the mornings, so I think the team was even training afternoons to accomodate this.

I suspect the contracts indicated they would do this work as part of the deal, they were not necessarily paid extra.

Don't think the CPL clubs are doing this as community outreach or income streams, but it could be a natural source of income for players on tight salaries.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Now that I understand it I actually really like the playoff format. To be fair I think the 2 best teams will be playing for the championship. Is the format copying another league or is it unique?

I am familiar with it from curling, but apparently it originated in Australian rugby and is widely used in women's softball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_playoff_system

In any case, I like it.