2023 NCAA + U Sports

Atlantic

Couldn’t find a thread for this yet…

Marcus’s Caldeira (2004) has 7 goals in 6 NCAA matches so far for West Virginia 

Kimani Stewart-Baynes (2005) has a goal and three assists in 5 games for Maryland  

CanMNT U20 international Hugo Tavares (2003) has 3 goals in 6 matches for New Jersey IT

• 1 month later...

A quick look through the Top Drawer freshman 100 for new faces.  #22-Isaiah Goldson, K Michigan, getting lots of starts with a big program, formerly Vaughn, #52 Kimani Stewart-Baynes F Maryland, he and Copetti are tearing it up at Maryland, goals and assists galore, #61 Daniel Mastroianni, F Umass-Lowell, PQ kid, 4g already, not sure what level that school is at though, #96 Syndney Wachuta, F Vermont, Calgary kid through WC to another big NCAA program, couple of goals.  

Its always funny how the preseason freshman stuff never mentions CDNs at all, then half way through the season there are a bunch of the list.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 3:41 PM, Atlantic said:

Kimani Stewart-Baynes (2005) has a goal and three assists in 5 games for Maryland  

Stewart-Baynes is on the invite list to this showcase thing:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/news/2023-adidas-mls-college-showcase-to-feature-44-top-college-prospects

Any other Canadians in the other 43 names?

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Stewart-Baynes is on the invite list to this showcase thing:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/news/2023-adidas-mls-college-showcase-to-feature-44-top-college-prospects

Any other Canadians in the other 43 names?

Jayden Hibbert GK is a 6'2 Canadian-Jamaican. (Last GK to be drafted from UConn was 6'2 Andre Blake) 

Edited by Shway

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is the Taylor Calheira in the MLS showcase thing a relation? Or simply a last name coincidence?

I can't find a Canadian connection for him; looks to have grown up in Maryland.

No relation, simply a similar last name. 

Caldeira is a Mississauga-based Sigma product who had a stint with Forge before heading to WVU.

3 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

The draft is still one of our most prominent pipelines to the national team, probably more so than our youth national teams TBH. Great to hear a couple of Canadians getting some early hype.

At first glance, the development pipeline is pretty equal for youth teams vs ncaa. I expect both to grow but youth teams will ultimately win out as the CMNT floor will raise making it harder for a ncaa guy like heibert to be considered, while we are seeing an increase in top prospects in europe that have a higher ceiling. 
youth (14) 
crepeau 
adekugbe
cornelius 
davies
Piette
Oso
David
ZBG
Choiniere
Paton
Fraser
Cav
Brym
Nelson

NCAA/Usports (13)
st clair 
Johnston
Miller 
Laryea
Kaye
Larin
Buchanan
JRR
Bombito
Zator
Waterman
Hiebert
Loturi?

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

At first glance, the development pipeline is pretty equal for youth teams vs ncaa. I expect both to grow but youth teams will ultimately win out as the CMNT floor will raise making it harder for a ncaa guy like heibert to be considered, while we are seeing an increase in top prospects in europe that have a higher ceiling. 
youth (14) 
crepeau 
adekugbe
cornelius 
davies
Piette
Oso
David
ZBG
Choiniere
Paton
Fraser
Cav
Brym
Nelson

NCAA/Usports (13)
st clair 
Johnston
Miller 
Laryea
Kaye
Larin
Buchanan
JRR
Bombito
Zator
Waterman
Hiebert
Loturi?

At the end al of them came from Youth teams, the only difference is that some of them make an additional step in their maturation process by having a dual path career (college + sport)....just in case.

1 minute ago, sonic_fcpf said:

At the end al of them came from Youth teams, the only difference is that some of them make an additional step in their maturation process by having a dual path career (college + sport)....just in case.

I think theres a miscommuncation. Its a comparison of players who played CMNT youth teams vs college. Not the fact that kennedy played for chinooks in calgary at age 12. Interestingly, I didnt really include any overlap as that could also happen. 

Buchanan, miller, laryea, larin, JRR, and MAK should be on both lists. Now it becomes much clearer that CMNT youth teams produce more than the college route.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Reading that Canadians may go 1-2 in this draft. Kimani Stewart-Baynes and Marcus Caldeira. 

Caldeira yes. Kimani I see more as a prospect for 2025....he is still a Freshmen. But there will be more Canadians in the eligible list for sure.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt Stewart-Baynes have to get the Gen Adidas tag to come out in the MLS draft??  

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I think theres a miscommuncation. Its a comparison of players who played CMNT youth teams vs college. Not the fact that kennedy played for chinooks in calgary at age 12. Interestingly, I didnt really include any overlap as that could also happen. 

Buchanan, miller, laryea, larin, JRR, and MAK should be on both lists. Now it becomes much clearer that CMNT youth teams produce more than the college route.

Understand and agree! As far as I know from the players that were part of the CMNT youth teams there are only 2 at College today: Ben Alexander and Hugo Tavares 

21 minutes ago, sonic_fcpf said:

The 2 CMNT youth players college stats!

Ben has good stats this year and Tavares has the best stats of his team!  

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 22.40.15.png

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 19.18.38.png

Great info.... do you have more details on what these two prospects are like? I believe hugo is an attacking mid but I dont know much about ben.

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Great info.... do you have more details on what these two prospects are like? I believe hugo is an attacking mid but I dont know much about ben.

Ben is a great GK and Tavares is a box to box CM (good defending and has goal).  Regarding Tavares I you can find several videos from his Youtube page. Regarding 2023 you can find a video not only from college but also from USL2 games where he played for Thunder Bay where he got some prizes. Leave link here: 

Also regarding Ben I leave 2023 video highlights: 

They were both part of U20 CMNT youth program