2023 NCAA + U Sports

Atlantic

On 12/8/2023 at 10:50 PM, phresh said:

Is he projected to be drafted this year?

Not sure. They are strong candidates to be on the eligible list but being sophomores is not so evident they can be drafted. But if not, in the next 2 years they will be strong candidates

Edited by sonic_fcpf

I identify the following Canadians but probably there are more:

Marcus Caldeira

Stefan Copetti

Nate Edwards

Nicolas Fleuriau-Chateau

Malik Henry

Alexander Krakowiac

Alexander Marin

Gabriel Mikina

Demarre Montoute

Olu Oyegunle

Daniel Pacella

Sidney Paris

Nolan Premack

Matthew Radijovsa

Hugo Tavares

Deylen Vellios

Nikolas White

Pretty crazy that the SuperDraft is on Tuesday and we still have no real news or coverage. I guess that speaks to how relevant the draft is these days… Still, I’m excited to see how things shake out given TFC has the #1 overall pick and to see which Canadians get selected with early picks. Coverage should really ramp up in the morning.

The one mock draft posted had Caldeira going number one overall, so that’s promising. Another name that has been mentioned is Kimani Stewart Baynes, though as a freshman he would need a GA deal to be draft eligible. 

It will be interesting to see if anyone emerges out of nowhere like Bombito last year.

Edited by FC_Hali

8 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

Pretty crazy that the SuperDraft is on Tuesday and we still have no real news or coverage. I guess that speaks to how relevant the draft is these days… Still, I’m excited to see how things shake out given TFC has the #1 overall pick and to see which Canadians get selected with early picks. Coverage should really ramp up in the morning.

The one mock draft posted had Caldeira going number one overall, so that’s promising. Another name that has been mentioned is Kimani Stewart Baynes, though as a freshman he would need a GA deal to be draft eligible. 

It will be interesting to see if anyone emerges out of nowhere like Bombito last year.

Sad, but it sounds like that was the only article I was able to find as well.

12 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

Pretty crazy that the SuperDraft is on Tuesday...

FYI, the draft will be on Apple's MLS season pass so I don't think it will be free to watch but I'm not sure.

General draft info is here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/news/mls-superdraft-2024-presented-by-adidas-how-to-watch-what-to-know

Live results will be posted here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2024/draft-tracker

42 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Kimani Baynes Stewart is one of three Generation Adidas players.  Very similar profile to Jayden Nelson, electric pace.  Physically not ready for MLS and needs more maturity in his game as did Nelson.  

I find it very funny that Halifax had him for the spring/summer and didn't give him a single minute.

Maybe I am just having a seniors moment, but where did you see the GA list??   Also if you see it, I am still looking for the story about Pacius signing for Nashville, i get he is leaving but cant find an actual source saying where.  Help an old dude out.  

On 12/17/2023 at 8:49 AM, sonic_fcpf said:

Below you can find 2023 key stats for Canadian players! (ordered by minutes played)

image.png.2b46d44ef365646fceec016b4a6a2e7b.png

This Nicolas Fleuriau Chateau immediately jumps out... 14 goals in less than 900 minutes?? According to his profile on the St. John's website, he missed his junior year due to a torn ACL. He didn't get a start as a sophomore and scored his only goal in the first round of the NCAA tournament. As a freshman he only appeared in one game as a sub.

As a redshirt junior, he still barely started (played in 17 matches but only started in 2). However, he somehow managed 14 goals which was tied for best in the nation (in the regular season). I don't know if he didn't start because he was coming off the ACL injury, or if there was actually someone ahead of him. One of his two starts came in the Big East tournament game at the end of the year. He was an all-Big East first team selection (another all-Big East first team player, Jacob Murrell, is projected as a top pick in the upcoming MLS Draft).

Here's a video of his goals from this season. Wonderful left foot. Interestingly, he has the armband in these clips, which makes me think his minutes were managed due to injury. He must have taken a medical redshirt for his junior year as I saw him listed as a redshirt junior, so if he comes back for a redshirt senior season it will be interesting to see how many goals he can put up, assuming he is healthy to start every match.

3 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I think everyone has Kimani going #1 just because he's a GA and from Toronto.  I'm hearing TFC is going with a Senior player with the 1st pick that they had already flown into town this past week.

Interesting. GA players have been selected first overall for the last 15+ years.

19 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

TFC is going out to pull a Dorsey pick. Where they passed over the obvious choices of Buchanan and St. Clair for some guy with a great character and interviews well.

The funny thing is that Dorsey turned into an OK player (not Tajon or DSC level obviously) after leaving TFC. Maybe it's a good thing TFC didn't draft either of those guys...