2023 NCAA + U Sports

Atlantic

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

The funny thing is that Dorsey turned into an OK player (not Tajon or DSC level obviously) after leaving TFC. Maybe it's a good thing TFC didn't draft either of those guys...

TFC could've used both of those guys. So that's confusing. 

Butttttt if you are saying that it's a good thing TFC didn't draft them because they are a shit show...then I'll change my reaction to a laugh lol.

38 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I'm a firm believer of "if you're a Canadian team, stay far the F away from the Canadian players" lol.  I hope Kimani lands somewhere in the US, let's not block the pathway for another Canadian already within our clubs.

I think we all agree with this here. 

It's just the reality that the draftee is taking a spot or competing with an academy player.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

TFC could've used both of those guys. So that's confusing. 

Butttttt if you are saying that it's a good thing TFC didn't draft them because they are a shit show...then I'll change my reaction to a laugh lol.

I'm a TFC fan, so I do wish they drafted them for TFC's sake. But that comment came as a CMNT fan i.e. good for our national team that they avoided a club that has been mostly brutal at developing players

Some big changes announced for this draft. Underclassmen can now declare eligibility and have the option to return to college. The drafting MLS team will hold their MLS rights for 2 years. An example of this is Charlie Sharp who’s a MAC Herman finalist; drafted last year by TFC so they still own his MLS rights.

GA players still exist (I.e. don’t count against the cap) but other freshman, sophomores and juniors can declare draft eligible. I suspect we’ll see a lot more draft and stash in MLS Next Pro.

Edited by FC_Hali

The MLS draft also doesn't allow freshman to declare unless they sign a GA deal. So if you are a freshman it allows you to get out early. For the MLS, it's a way to entice players to stay in NA. It used to be that you had to be a senior to be eligible for the draft, and if you were a junior or under you needed to be on a GA deal to be eligible. This is why there are only two GA guys this year as the sophmores and juniors are automatically eligible.

3 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Some big changes announced for this draft. Underclassmen can now declare eligibility and have the option to return to college. The drafting MLS team will hold their MLS rights for 2 years. An example of this is Charlie Sharp who’s a MAC Herman finalist; drafted last year by TFC so they still own his MLS rights.

GA players still exist (I.e. don’t count against the cap) but other freshman, sophomores and juniors can declare draft eligible. I suspect we’ll see a lot more draft and stash in MLS Next Pro.

Freshmen are still ineligible, unless they have a GA deal:

MLS Expands Eligible Player Pool for MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas | MLSSoccer.com

1 hour ago, sonic_fcpf said:

Pape Mar Boye is out of the Superdraft. Rumours he will sign in Europe

There is the other option, avoid this draft altogether sign a pro deal and walk away from NCAA eligibility.  ie Larin, who could have just signed in europe, but was enticed into a GA contract with MLS as a sophmore.  I imagine thats exactly what was the deal with Stewart-Baynes and why the announcement was so late in coming.  

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There is the other option, avoid this draft altogether sign a pro deal and walk away from NCAA eligibility.  ie Larin, who could have just signed in europe, but was enticed into a GA contract with MLS as a sophmore.  I imagine thats exactly what was the deal with Stewart-Baynes and why the announcement was so late in coming.  

Does the above imply stewart baynes is a player who's good enough to have to choose GA-mls vs europe. It would be really exciting to have a larin-esque level prospect about to get drafted. 

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The hold up wasn't Kimani, it was the others.  The MLS was having trouble signing up the two of the 4 that got the GA offers.  One GA candidate decided to back out last minute and stay in school.  The other, the CB from Clemson/Senegal couldn't be signed because apparently there's a Training Compensation issue with his previous club in Senegal.

42 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Does the above imply stewart baynes is a player who's good enough to have to choose GA-mls vs europe. It would be really exciting to have a larin-esque level prospect about to get drafted. 

Well I'm not sure about that, but Lareya, Buchanon, StClair, a lot of our recent NCAA success stories, they were heavily hyped (GA contracts) and were high draft picks.  Bombito was in similar position last year.  Plenty of flame outs from GA too though, HAHA.  Its a crap shoot.  

Someone was wondering why Kimani didnt suit up for Wanderers, wouldnt it be so he didnt F-up his NCAA eligibility??  Not that HFX didnt rate him or screw up etc, more of a true development situation??  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well I'm not sure about that, but Lareya, Buchanon, StClair, a lot of our recent NCAA success stories, they were heavily hyped (GA contracts) and were high draft picks.  Bombito was in similar position last year.  Plenty of flame outs from GA too though, HAHA.  Its a crap shoot.  

Someone was wondering why Kimani didnt suit up for Wanderers, wouldnt it be so he didnt F-up his NCAA eligibility??  Not that HFX didnt rate him or screw up etc, more of a true development situation??  

He was allowed to play as an amateur, just an oversight from Halifax to think he wasn't ready I imagine.  I've said it on this forum many many times, there are many young players that can play CPL now but they get overlooked.

Another example of how unpredictable the MLS draft is, Wayne Frederick goes second overall and I didn't see him listed as a top prospect anywhere. Honestly, the fact that there is no real way to project who teams are picking adds to the mickey mouse nature of this thing. I get there are surprises in all drafts, but it would be incomprehensible for a second overall in another sport to be a guy that no one had in their first round.

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

The hold up wasn't Kimani, it was the others.  The MLS was having trouble signing up the two of the 4 that got the GA offers.  One GA candidate decided to back out last minute and stay in school.  The other, the CB from Clemson/Senegal couldn't be signed because apparently there's a Training Compensation issue with his previous club in Senegal.

27 years of weird rules and mechanisms but sticking with not paying training compensation.