Gold Cup 2025

TGAA_Star

Also hearing that for this specific Gold Cup, it will not be a 16 team Gold Cup but it will have 24 teams (8 invitees)

2 invitees from UEFA (Europe)

2 invitees from CONMEBOL (South America)

2 invitees from CAF (Africa)

2 invitees from AFC (Asia)

But who knows who the invitees could be as that is anyone's guess

But definitely an expanded Gold Cup for 2025 from what I'm hearing

Would it surprise anyone if one of those AFC teams are Qatar? And considering the money being thrown around by Saudi maybe they are the other. China has been known to throw their financial weight around too. 

I have been thinking about teams like Korea, Japan and Australia, and hopefully we get two of those three, but CONCACAF loves money and Qatar have played in two straight GCs. 

It wouldn't be the end of the world should we get two of China, Saudi and Qatar. The Qataris have escaped the group stage twice and Saudi were better than Qatar at the WC. China has consistently been in the 70-80 range in FIFA rankings, no worse than where El Salvador and Honduras sit. 

Lord knows who the CAF, CONMEBOL and UEFA teams will be. Will Morocco still have that WC 2022 buzz? Seems like a logical choice if so. Brazil and/or Argentina would obviously be a dream for marketing, but a number of teams would draw well (ex. Colombia). 

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If they moved to having 8 invited teams, I think I'd lose some interest in the tournament. I'm in favour of a continued joint Copa, but not this bizarre mini-WC.

I get that. It's not really the GC at that point.

I am all for a bizzare mini-WC, but turning the GC into that feels weird, and I think the stronger the invitees are the weirder it will be.

Facing top competition is important, but I am not sure I would like seeing Brazil AND Argentina AND France AND Germany as invitees for the GC. That would make 4 of the top teams invitees. Just feels off for a GC.

Having just 1 would be less weird - Brazil have been invited before, for example. I think money will trump everything here, but if they pay mind to optics they'll strike a balance and make sure the chances of a CONCACAF team actually winning the GC are somewhat realistic. 

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

NO!  Why should a team from another confederation take a spot from a CONCACAF team?  Imagine years ago when we were possibly the 9th best team in CONCACAF?  

Not really taking a spot though, if they're expanding the tournament by the same number of invitees.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get that. It's not really the GC at that point.

I am all for a bizzare mini-WC, but turning the GC into that feels weird, and I think the stronger the invitees are the weirder it will be.

Facing top competition is important, but I am not sure I would like seeing Brazil AND Argentina AND France AND Germany as invitees for the GC. That would make 4 of the top teams invitees. Just feels off for a GC.

Having just 1 would be less weird - Brazil have been invited before, for example. I think money will trump everything here, but if they pay mind to optics they'll strike a balance and make sure the chances of a CONCACAF team actually winning the GC are somewhat realistic. 

Yeah, there was that rumour a number of years ago about a tournament involving qualifiers from CONCACAF, CAF, and AFC (and OFC?). I didn't mind that, as an alternative once every 4 years. But inviting random teams with no history I think just devalues the GC.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Not really taking a spot though, if they're expanding the tournament by the same number of invitees.

Thanks for the clarification; should have read this more clearly.  But I do think 16 teams is plenty for our region; a 24 team tournament is really too cumbersome and I don’t like the idea of a UEFA nation, for example, being CONCACAF champions.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Thanks for the clarification; should have read this more clearly.  But I do think 16 teams is plenty for our region; a 24 team tournament is really too cumbersome and I don’t like the idea of a UEFA nation, for example, being CONCACAF champions.

Oh I agree. 16 teams is the right number for the GC right now. All the "big" teams qualify but there's still spots for developing countries or the occasional random one where it probably means a lot to them. And it has a perfectly balanced schedule/teams advancing.

Yeah but a 24 team Gold Cup I wouldn't mind it but if you go with 8 invitees from each Confederation then what I would do:

AFC (2)- 🇶🇦 Qatar and Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦 

CAF (2)- Nigeria 🇳🇬 and Egypt 🇪🇬 

CONMEBOL (2)- Paraguay 🇵🇾 and Chile 🇨🇱 

UEFA (2)- Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I like the expanded GC for marketing purposes, but at some point... what's the point? 48 team world cup, 32 (?) team Copa America with Concacaf teams, biannual Gold Cup now I guess with a ton of foreign teams, and not to mention Nations League going on while all this is happening.

Oh, apparently Copa is only 16 teams? And we want 24? The hubris.

Who is this for though (rhetorical- we all know)? If you want to watch best on best, you watch the world cup. if you want the best on best in the region, we now have an expanded Copa America that will crown the best team from the Americas. If you want to watch the best teams in your immediate region, the Gold Cup currently does that. But adding in like 8 foreign teams makes no sense to me. Just factoring in the UEFA teams- if it's a team like France or Spain, their supporters won't care because Concacaf is a joke to them and a foreign team winning Gold Cup is not good for the confederation. If it's Czechia or Romania or whatever, then great- we play a team no better than other regional teams, if they beat us, it's an embarassment for us, but if we beat them, it's irrelevant.

Also, I never liked the idea of tournaments that are semi qualifications and semi invitations. Either host an invitational, or make the teams qualify the hard way. Let's see if Kylian Mbappe can do it on a muggy night in Port-Au-Prince.

Edited by InglewoodJack

The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer CONCACAF to have 1 Gold Cup per 4 year cycle, CONMEBOL can have one Copa America per 4 year cycle, then we can have a combined tournament CONCONMECACAFBOL Cup (name pending) once per 4 year cycle if we want a bigger tournament. If you want to invite European, African, and Asian teams as well, create a different tournament, but yeah at that point you are kind of stepping on the World Cup's toes. Maybe we just have to hope FIFA blocks this thing from happening.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer CONCACAF to have 1 Gold Cup per 4 year cycle, CONMEBOL can have one Copa America per 4 year cycle, then we can have a combined tournament CONCONMECACAFBOL Cup (name pending) once per 4 year cycle if we want a bigger tournament.

I'll concede that the Copa definitely bounces around the schedule a lot, but they've sort of been pushing it towards once every four years. So a combined Copa once every 4 years (with CONMEBOL using the other 2 years for their lengthy WC qualifying) and a regular GC once every 4 years (in a non-Copa or WC year) still makes sense for everyone. CONMEBOL gets a regular expanded tournament, the best teams in CONCACAF get a more challenging experience once every 4 years (outside of the WC), and smaller nations have a chance to participate in a steady GC tournament every 4 years.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but a 24 team Gold Cup I wouldn't mind it but if you go with 8 invitees from each Confederation then what I would do:

AFC (2)- 🇶🇦 Qatar and Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦 

CAF (2)- Nigeria 🇳🇬 and Egypt 🇪🇬 

CONMEBOL (2)- Paraguay 🇵🇾 and Chile 🇨🇱 

UEFA (2)- Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I'd like to see Morocco over Egypt for the WC vibes. Curious about your CONMEBOL choices. If you were looking to get butts in seats you could instead go with Colombia and Peru, which are roughly the same caliber. We discussed the AFC choices and the UEFA choices are interesting. I kind of like it. Teams that will challenge without running the table like a Spain or France probably would. One alternative to those could be a team like Norway - would be cool to bring Halaand to NA, bet it would create a lot of buzz.

Given your choices Mexico and USA could still be amongst the favorites, while a team like Canada could aim for a deep run and face some stern tests.