Micah Chisholm

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I enjoy your enthusiasm but a kid playing 4th tier in Germany is hardly our best CB.

Steven Vitoria reading this thread like "what the fuck did I do to you???"

I don't know if we can consider a 19 year old playing at that level our best CB, but I mean, if he's playing pro ball at 19 maybe he has an argument for being our most talented or highest potential CB. I would think that if he starts starting games for Hannover in 2.Bundesliga he'd practically be a CANMNT starter. Scott Kennedy was starting for us playing for a worse team and was like 5 years older than Chisholm is now.

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Steven Vitoria reading this thread like "what the fuck did I do to you???"

I don't know if we can consider a 19 year old playing at that level our best CB, but I mean, if he's playing pro ball at 19 maybe he has an argument for being our most talented or highest potential CB. I would think that if he starts starting games for Hannover in 2.Bundesliga he'd practically be a CANMNT starter. Scott Kennedy was starting for us playing for a worse team and was like 5 years older than Chisholm is now.

Did you think the same when Karifa Yao played for the Impact at 19 years of age?

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

No because Yao was the conductor of the Northern Futbol overhype train. He also played a grand total of two games and Hannover is a better team than Montreal.

If fairness to Yao he was arguably the best Canadian CB in the CPL the last couple years. After seeing Waterman, Zator, and McNaughton become borderline national team players, I am surprised he has struggled to make the step up. Would be a good guy for TFC to try and pick up right now.

19 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

If fairness to Yao he was arguably the best Canadian CB in the CPL the last couple years. After seeing Waterman, Zator, and McNaughton become borderline national team players, I am surprised he has struggled to make the step up. Would be a good guy for TFC to try and pick up right now.

He was very good in CPL, I'm mostly talking about how he was being pencilled in as a 2026 starter and I think during last WC's qualifiers, there was talks of him as a guy who could maybe crack last WC's roster. To be fair, I was surprised Montreal gave up on him so early- I would've thought he would get at least somewhat of a chance this year, but it doesn't look like Vancouver rates him too highly either. 

9 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

The quote Sal highlighted was "if he's playing pro ball at 19...", nobody said he's starting now lol

Yeah by "pro ball" I mean if he is playing regularly for the first team. I get Hannover II is "pro ball" as well, but I think it's fair to say that if he's playing in that league at that age, then we can start having that conversation. Per @Junkie's post, it seems like him playing for the first team is not very far off.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah by "pro ball" I mean if he is playing regularly for the first team. I get Hannover II is "pro ball" as well, but I think it's fair to say that if he's playing in that league at that age, then we can start having that conversation. Per @Junkie's post, it seems like him playing for the first team is not very far off.

Ya that's how I took your post, if he's starting for Hannover's first team then that's miles ahead of Yao starting for the Impact.

Either way, seems he has sky high potential at a position of need and a desire to play for Canada, which is awesome. I'll try to tune in today, but excited to cheer for him moving forward. 

21 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

To be fair, I was surprised Montreal gave up on him so early- I would've thought he would get at least somewhat of a chance this year, but it doesn't look like Vancouver rates him too highly either. 

Surprised is putting it very lightly.  I assumed he had off-field issues or something for them to just drop him like that, especially when they were/are so weak at CB.  Puzzling.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Didn't Belal Halbouni play in the German 4th tier too?

I would caution our optism until he is starting in B2.

He was set to play in B2 last year before he broke his leg no?

I think the cautious tale to be careful of here is Justin Smith who I think was in a similar spot at Nice II at the same age and looked like he was maybe going to make the jump to Nice in the near future, and then a couple things happened, and he's in the 3rd (4th?) tier now.

But hey, we've got someone connected to a player and their club and they're saying he's close, so I'll be more than happy to take that as a healthy dose of CANMNT copium instead of watching Luc De Fougerolles quickly become too good to play for us.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Canada's best CB.... But he plays in a league that doesn't provide line ups for matches

Be nice now, maybe he got called up to the first team that plays tomorrow! 

Regardless, we know on paper he's not Canada's best CB right now, needs to build up a reputation for that. Even Davies wasn't considered Canada's best winger / player until he proved it. Doesn't mean Chisholm can't be, just needs to prove it, and we should all hope that he does so. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He was set to play in B2 last year before he broke his leg no?

I think the cautious tale to be careful of here is Justin Smith who I think was in a similar spot at Nice II at the same age and looked like he was maybe going to make the jump to Nice in the near future, and then a couple things happened, and he's in the 3rd (4th?) tier now.

Halbouni situation was basically identical to Smith. He got signed by a Bundesliga 2 team (like Smith with Ligue 2), but then like Smith started out with the second team (in German tier 6) for a couple months. Then he broke his leg. He wasn't cracking the bench, so even without injury probably would've had limited B2 time 

8 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Halbouni situation was basically identical to Smith. He got signed by a Bundesliga 2 team (like Smith with Ligue 2), but then like Smith started out with the second team (in German tier 6) for a couple months. Then he broke his leg. He wasn't cracking the bench, so even without injury probably would've had limited B2 time 

Ah, got it. I thought he was injured before the season started. I wonder what he’s up to now.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Canada's best CB.... But he plays in a league that doesn't provide line ups for matches

I get it, but I am rooting for this guy to get first team reps and so far things are sounding positive.

And in defense of @Junkie, the moment he breaks into the first team is the moment he's in the convo for a senior call up, so it's not far fetched to say he can challenge our current CBs soon. The path to the top of our depth chart seems very achievable for him.

I am the first to admit that I love getting carried away by what ifs. I have davidson and Diallo pencilled in as world class superstars already and I have never seen them play..... 

However, once the dreaming subsides, theres some cause to slow down. 

I really support Chisholm and love the opportunities his agency has given to him, but I do have to say that I have heard this type of story before. An agency that doesnt appear to have any established players offers lots of training camps and oversea trial games vs academies but its all with paid registrations. Every single player in the academy is the best talent ever (Ex. our best CB already). Loads of broad statements about his ability. Ex. hates to lose, runs like the wind, captain material, loud, he takes control etc. 

Ive come across this many times in professional settings and hundreds of players/agents at the university level doing the exact same thing. Not all of the players are duds but many are and it causes a serious distrust. Some are great university players though. 

Having said that, guys who sign in europe are clearly not duds and have potential but perhaps we need to slow down the hype until anything about their ability is proven. 

This feels a bit like Ahmed when he was playing VMSL with Rhinos/Tigers. Blaise Nkufo was one of the coaches and theyve had players come through their team that go onto pro contracts. They are more legit than many of the smaller agencies who tell kids they can go pro if they pay $$$ to the agent.

However, Im dreaming of what Chisholm can be, but taking a breath before I made any expectations. I really appreciate your updates and the contributions you are clearly making in Canada soccer @Junkie and I hope my pessimism isn't taken personally because I absolutely am thrilled when I hear your updates. 

After rereading my post, I can only come to the conclusion that Ive been hurt too many times before as a CMNT fan and I cant trust anything or anyone anymore....  

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I am the first to admit that I love getting carried away by what ifs. I have davidson and Diallo pencilled in as world class superstars already and I have never seen them play..... 

However, once the dreaming subsides, theres some cause to slow down. 

I really support Chisholm and love the opportunities his agency has given to him, but I do have to say that I have heard this type of story before. An agency that doesnt appear to have any established players offers lots of training camps and oversea trial games vs academies but its all with paid registrations. Every single player in the academy is the best talent ever (Ex. our best CB already). Loads of broad statements about his ability. Ex. hates to lose, runs like the wind, captain material, loud, he takes control etc. 

Ive come across this many times in professional settings and hundreds of players/agents at the university level doing the exact same thing. Not all of the players are duds but many are and it causes a serious distrust. Some are great university players though. 

Having said that, guys who sign in europe are clearly not duds and have potential but perhaps we need to slow down the hype until anything about their ability is proven. 

This feels a bit like Ahmed when he was playing VMSL with Rhinos/Tigers. Blaise Nkufo was one of the coaches and theyve had players come through their team that go onto pro contracts. They are more legit than many of the smaller agencies who tell kids they can go pro if they pay $$$ to the agent.

However, Im dreaming of what Chisholm can be, but taking a breath before I made any expectations. I really appreciate your updates and the contributions you are clearly making in Canada soccer @Junkie and I hope my pessimism isn't taken personally because I absolutely am thrilled when I hear your updates. 

After rereading my post, I can only come to the conclusion that Ive been hurt too many times before as a CMNT fan and I cant trust anything or anyone anymore....  

Are you talking Ahmed Alghamdi? He’s currently playing for Stevie Gerrard and Saudi Arabia NT. I’ve been following him since he left Pacific and he seems to be doing quite well for himself. I agree about the rest of your post though 

Recent release by Laurier on Chisholm, granted he didn't get on the pitch, still a good read:

https://laurierathletics.com/news/2023/7/27/mens-soccer-micah-chisholm-chases-pro-soccer-dream-with-hannover-96-ii.aspx

Micah Chisholm chases pro soccer dream with Hannover 96 II

LOHNE, Germany – On July 28 at 1 p.m. EST, Hannover 96 II will kick off their first game in the 2023 Regionaliga Nord – the fourth-tier German soccer league – season.  

Starting at fullback will be Golden Hawks alum Micah Chisholm. The Markham, Ont. native recently signed with Hannover 96 II, the reserve team for the 2. Bundesliga's Hannover 96. 

It's an organization with a long history of launching Canadian soccer careers. Canadian national team great Julian de Guzman played three seasons with the club from 2002 to 2005. 

Chisholm says that played a role in his choosing to sign with Hannover. "96 was one of very few clubs giving Canadians a chance." 

"They want to push me to hopefully play for the first team someday," he continued. "They just really want the best for me, my family, and my soccer career." 

It didn't take long for Chisholm to settle in. He trained with the team only twice before starting his first pre-season game, which Hannover won 6-2. They followed that up with a 3-2 victory in their final tune-up before the regular season. 

"I got a lot of compliments from my coaches and my teammates," he said. "I feel like they have trust in me going into the season." 

That's not to say there haven't been adjustments he's had to make. The European game, he says, is a lot faster. 

"In Canada, you have way more time on the ball ... [in Germany], you have maybe a maximum of two or three seconds before you have to make up your mind and know where you're going to move next." 

The language barrier has been another hurdle. 

"We're learning. In practice, a lot of time is spent on how to communicate with each other, and the coach [Daniel Stendel] is doing a great job incorporating all players on the pitch." 

Chisholm's goal is to be called up to Hannover 96's first team before the end of the season, but that's not all he's focused on. 

"As much as I'm here to better myself personally, I also want the team to reach our goals: qualifying for playoffs and hopefully getting promoted for next year." 

He's also watching for a call from the Canadian national team. "For me and my family that would be big, to represent Canada at any level." 

Already on the threshold of a major accomplishment, Chisholm looks back fondly on his time at Laurier. "I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the players, and especially the coaching staff." Chisholm led the team in points with a goal and three assists last season.

"My goal has always been, since I was younger, to play at the pro level ... unfortunately I can't do both." 

When he steps foot on the pitch for the season opener, he'll be one step closer to reaching a level very few athletes ever attain, and he's only just getting started.