Match Thread: May 7, 2023 - Vancouver FC v Cavalry

45 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Based on the last two weeks Cavalry might just be bad.

Their whole season is depended on big players staying fit and gelling of new ones. I've never really seen anything from Fisk, Escalante hasn't reached his first season form since. For obvious reasons Carducci has had a rough ride too. Aird, Camargo, Bevan, Mason, Shome are all great players but pick up so many injuries. Their defence should be solid but I don't see enough creative flair and consistent spark going forward.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Absolutely a red. Goes through the player, doesn't get the ball, shoulder and elbow contact to the head. "Intent to injure" is not actually a thing that matters. Reckless and dangerous.

I'd suggest that it was barely a foul, never mind a red card. It was a matter of millimeters in it for which of the two players actually won the ball.

Never a red. I'm on the side of maybe not a foul, but certainly not even a yellow. It's a 50-50 ball, he can't just not challenge for it. 

Also, I love colour v colour as much as anyone, but that was too much. Cavalry has black on their jersey more than a little, so there really needed to be a better contrast between the two teams.  Spare me the shorts colour argument, that's not enough. 

Was an excellent experience today. Some kinks to work out, but it's a great stadium for what it is. 

Edited by RJB

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Their whole season is depended on big players staying fit and gelling of new ones. I've never really seen anything from Fisk, Escalante hasn't reached his first season form since. For obvious reasons Carducci has had a rough ride too. Aird, Camargo, Bevan, Mason, Shome are all great players but pick up so many injuries. Their defence should be solid but I don't see enough creative flair and consistent spark going forward.

You could have told me they were the expansion team today and I would have believed you.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Oh my days. As if Bakare couldn't get any more likeable and endearing. What an interview lol. Pure adrenaline. 

Bakare is never dull, I'll give you that. But he scares the heck out of me in the back. Yellow card machine, somewhat clumsy, and then goes on these unnecessary heartattack runs every fourth or fifth play.

9 hours ago, RJB said:

Never a red. I'm on the side of maybe not a foul, but certainly not even a yellow. It's a 50-50 ball, he can't just not challenge for it. 

I'm willing to accept that my "clear red" position is the minority view, but no foul, even no yellow, is crazy. He was late to the challenge (if he wasn't late he wins the ball). A calmer, wiser defender would realize there is nothing to lose by pulling out of the challenge as it was a difficult ball to control with the Cavalry player running away from goal. 

Whatever the merits of the yellow vs red argument, a player that continues to play as recklessly as Romeo did there will be worth a few more legit reds this season.

One of the commenters on the broadcast was suggesting that Ruch's red card stats in CPL suggested he was somehow trigger-happy and cited a number of 7 in 30-some CPL matches. A perfect example of stats without context because that is below the average rate in world football.

Edited by jonovision

37 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm willing to accept that my "clear red" position is the minority view, but no foul, even no yellow, is crazy. He was late to the challenge (if he wasn't late he wins the ball). A calmer, wiser defender would realize there is nothing to lose by pulling out of the challenge as it was a difficult ball to control with the Cavalry player running away from goal. 

Whatever the merits of the yellow vs red argument, a player that continues to play as recklessly as Romeo did there will be worth a few more legit reds this season.

One of the commenters on the broadcast was suggesting that Ruch's red card stats in CPL suggested he was somehow trigger-happy and cited a number of 7 in 30-some CPL matches. A perfect example of stats without context because that is below the average rate in world football.

The linesman seemed to call the foul, then signal throw in for Vancouver. 

So he did see it was the Cavalry player who got to the ball.

Everyone is assuming that the ref makes the call when the linesman could have said "excess force" through the mic.

18 hours ago, Big_M said:

man at what point do you say thats enough of wheeldon?? over 4 years in and its so underwhelming

Really? Consistently one of the top teams in the league. Only 4 games into the season and in 5th place. He has earned the right to try to turn things around.

A time may come where you can conclude that he has taken the team as far as he can, but that time isn't now.

yeah if in five years they dont have a playoff championship then maybe, just maybe will it be time to talk about it...meanwhile conceded vs a team with ten players and couldnt beat them, dont have a win on the season and knocked out in the first round of cup...next up hosting the other team with all draws...will one of them finally get a win or will they both be at five draws in five games??

17 hours ago, nolando said:

You could have told me they were the expansion team today and I would have believed you.

I don't think being an expansion team is a particular disadvantage in a league with as much roster turnover as CPL. Having ownership that is willing to spend to the cap is a much bigger factor.